Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Would Mike Hall "win" the tdf?
  • marvincooper

Just thinking, if he was to set off just behind the race, and do 200 mile days, back to back, he’d finish ahead of the race, no?

Just a thought.

crikey
    Free Member

If I did 200 mile days, I’d ‘win’ it too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

does he have to ride between stages though where the TDF gets external transport ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marvincooper

Yes but MH could do that for 2k miles or so. Or 17k, whatever. Just kind of struck me as pretty impressive. I have done about 150 miles this week and I’m knackered!

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Your scenario doesn’t make sense, You have the tour riders riding the tour at between 80 and 160 miles per day (or some such) and a single guy riding the same route but in 200 mile per day segments. Of course the 200 miles per day rider would finish sooner.
    Step away from the alcohol you’re obviously consuming. You’ve had enough.

molgrips
    Free Member

Aren’t the mountains on the Tour route bigger than those on the TDR?

And in any case, the stages don’t start where the previous one left off, so it wouldn’t make any sense. He’d have to ride one stage, get the bus to the next one, then ride say half of it and then camp out. Possible but bonkers.

You might manage riding two in one day though, if keen. He’d probably manage more than 200 miles a day on tarmac, on a top end road bike and with no luggage I reckon. And someone handing him bags of food.

marvincooper

You are correct. IGMC.

Actually no I won’t. I don’t care if it’s a stupid scenario, would still like to see someone give it a go, would be a fun challenge.

crikey
    Free Member

…and remember that ‘winning’ the TdF involves covering the distance in the least time…

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Riding the tour route in 200 mile per day segments? How would that be possible? Lot’s of stages have transport links in between.

marvincooper

Well yes, and of course he wouldn’t win. But he might finish first. I wonder how Wiggo or Froome would get on with a TD, would love a top road rider to give it a go.

marvincooper

Riding the tour route in 200 mile per day segments? How would that be possible? Lot’s of stages have transport links in between.

Ok, OK, it’s a hypothetical tour. No transport links just stages.

cchris2lou

i am sure a french guy did it last year . all the stages back to back with minimum sleep . he had people following him .
    finished in a week .

marvincooper

Really? Will have to look that up.

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Now you’re on to something! The GDMBR is not an overtly technical route and I suppose a tweak to a pro riders training would be all they’d need to prepare for it (the self supporting aspect aside, I doubt they’d like roughing it). That’s an interesting thing to think about.

cchris2lou

here you go , in french , was in 2009 , took him a week to ride the 21 stages back to back >

http://www.parismatch.com/Actu/Societe/Le-tour-de-force-de-Pascal-Pich-141074

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that most of us could ride the distance of the TdF in less time than the race takes (including stops). I know I could with relative ease.

marvincooper

OK so the answer is “yes”, Mike Hall would win (well not win, but finish first) in the TDF. Kind of.

So how do we get wiggo to do the TD? 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Would Mike Hall "win" the tdf?’ is closed to new replies.