Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Would it be possible to organise 'hartail only trails' ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

Woburn’s mullered by unnecessary FS bikes’ braking bumps. Just musing on how to get some equanimity back ?

chiefgrooveguru

Why do you think full-sus bikes create more braking bumps than hardtails?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

would have thought ht’s are worst as the back going to be skipping around and trying to stop quickly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    duntstick
    Free Member

You ride mountain bikes and don’t like bumps?

welshfarmer

Please tell me this is a wind up

darrenspink
    Free Member

While we’re at it 650b trails please.

jam-bo

Woburn’s mullered by unnecessary FS bikes’ braking bumps.

Roads…

duntstick
    Free Member

I love it when a newly sanitized trail gets a storm or two and becomes a mtb ride again………….braking bumps……shit em

maxtorque

If there was anywhere where braking bumps don’t seem to be much of an issue it’s woburn! It’s so sandy, the first bit of rain and it all just runs back into a nice smooth surface shirley??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s all about enduro specific gravel for 2015.

somouk
    Free Member

It’s all about enduro specific gravel for 2015.

Will that still work if I have 29er wheels?

Do they make the braking bumps bigger or do they float over them?

grum
    Free Member

OP is ridiculous but I don’t get people who claim not to have a problem with braking bumps. Yes I can ride over them quite easily thanks but it still feels shit. Big rocks and roots etc are great, but braking bumps are always horrible.

wwaswas

I find 80 grit sand provides the ideal braking surface.

60’s just that bit too abrasive and it’s to easy to lock up on 120.

duntstick
    Free Member

Bumps……. get over em.

duntstick
    Free Member

Grum, that’ll be a setting on yer suspension, geek it out on the forums and someone will tell you what clicks you need to apply. 😆

fin25
    Free Member

May I suggest you take up road riding, as anyone offended by braking bumps probably isn’t cut out for mountain biking. Plus, I don’t understand why FS bikes are more of a problem? I ride a hardtail 29er, weigh 16 stone and thrash around like a fish on a barbeque, so am probably responsible for a lot more trail “damage” than a ten stone grasshopper on a carbon FS bike.
    More ruts and bumps = more fun.

matther01
    Free Member

OP, I second your motion and also suggest we remove twigs and leaves so that we can run slick tyres for maximum enjoyment.

Seriously…WTF?!

I dislike braking bumps as much as anyone but FSers causing it?

tomaso
    Free Member

bikeneil
    Free Member

Would it be possible to organise ‘Good Riders only trails’ ?

fin25
    Free Member

Or, “self righteous, easily offended, will give this up for golf soon” trails.

Maybe some of you should try centre parcs, their trails are so smooth its as if they’re made of tarmac…

tomaso
    Free Member

Chunks of lovely BW in Grizedale seem to be getting this treatment.

mickmcd
    Free Member

this is like 29ers now being called 650b+ just to differentiate them

BTW WTF is a braking bump?

mickmcd
    Free Member

this is like 29ers now being called 650b+ just to differentiate them

BTW WTF is a braking bump?

ps actually its f-all like 29ers now being called 650b+ just to differentiate them

fin25
    Free Member

Seriously OP, please explain why FS bikes are so guilty of braking bumps, the suspense is killing me!

grum
    Free Member

Getting which treatment, braking bumps?

flap_jack
    Free Member

fin25 I’ve been MTBing since the ’80s so won’t be golfing anytime soon. I love a good natural knarly trail and my usual MTB holiday destination is Chamonix, not Morzine.

FS bikes let you keep the braking on harder on the back, and the rear locks/unlocks as the weight pitches front and rear. Once the bumps are started the same oscillation is set up in the next bike that passes through. So on ad infinitum. Rocky environments aren’t really affected and I love a full on descent on my FS bike in the right place.

I suppose what I don’t like is damage done by MTBs, I want us to pass through under the radar, without changing the environment. I suppose tree-hugging hippydom is no longer in vogue. Sigh.

fin25
    Free Member

But why are FS bikes to blame?

fin25
    Free Member

Also, weren’t you complaining about braking bumps at a trail centre?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Also, weren’t you complaining about braking bumps at a trail centre?

Not I. I don’t really frequent them. Bikes are changing the environment at trails centres, that’s a given.

flap_jack
    Free Member

p.s. no offence taken, it’s friday night ffs, I expect a bit of strong response.

matther01
    Free Member

Surely it’s the rider to blame from lack of experience/finesse or even the conditions…not the just the bike?

fin25
    Free Member

I kinda get what you’re saying about us making a mess of the environment on bridleways and such, I guess I’m lucky that it’s not too big a problem round my way. Most of the bridleways round here are rutted up by the horses.

alexdudley
    Free Member

Braking bumps are pants, but they are not created by fs riders alone, just bad riders in general! I can get people panicking approaching a jump but why are they after a jump ffs. It makes landing a rigid bike real tough !

ampthill

Where at Woburn?

I feel I must be missing out……

fin25
    Free Member

Sorry mods… 😳

maxtorque

“braking bumps are damaging the environment”

No, no they aren’t. Last time i checked, the “real” countryside was a bumpy, muddy mess for the last, oh, about 2.4B years, since in fact, the continental plates were formed from cooling magma. (it’s not often one gets to use the word “Magma” these days you know……)

I put a tenner on the fact the UK has never been less muddy, and has never been eroded less slowly, thanks to all the environmental protection and sanitisation that goes on these days.

tomaso
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Getting which treatment, braking bumps?

The BW that runs up next to the Downhill track and the first bit of the North face. The one that got curned by recent logging has been stone chipped into a towpath smooth pram track.
    They have a crushed on site chomping up rock and spitting out gravel…
    More to come 😥

flap_jack
    Free Member

Where at Woburn ?

The Rollercoaster, particularly…

svalgis
    Free Member

Such an obvious wind up. Great fun though. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Would it be possible to organise 'hartail only trails' ?’ is closed to new replies.