would it be odd

Home Forum Bike Forum would it be odd

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • would it be odd
  • Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

Sounds like a recipe for slow-moving stock to me. No-one needs a jetboil who doesn't have time to shop around. And if you need an emergency jetboil you might well also need an emergency therma-rest, emergency tent pegs and an emergency ice-axe. If you didn't stock all that the punter would only go to an outdoor shop anyway, wouldn't they? 🙂

Kramer

If I'm going camping, I'll go to an outdoors shop.

Also most bike shops are short on space rather than have too much.

ojom

that had crossed my mind, but never forget the propensity for the impulse purchase when you see a product you really like or have heard about.

TandemJeremy

Pimpy TI camping kit maybe. Sporks, cafetieres and so on.

ojom

if your bike shop sold bits like Jetboil's?

I used one this weekend and was really impressed by it and could forsee some of our customers wanting to buy one.

Do you guys think it would be the sort of thing you would be keen on seeing in bike shops. Presumably a lot of you would be the camping type, SITS/Mayhem/annual trip away and need them.

Would you buy one from a bike shop if they had them?

Opinions please.

ojom

not so keen on pimpy.

oh and do you want to ride tomorrow? i have a chest infection so no heroics.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Escape Route in Ptlochry sells high-end outdoor gear next to the bike stuff. Seems to work quite well.

Hmmm, outdoor kit alongside a bike shop? Now, if only someone had tried that. I dunno, maybe in Covent Garden and a range of other city centre locations.

Erm…..

ojom

aye but every town and shop is different.

what works in one place may not in another.

Brooker99

I'd normally buy outdoor's stuff from a dedicated store TBH. Funds are normally tight, if I'm in a bike shop it will be to buy something specific rather than a good look around and possible impulse purchase.

OK, this is creepy. I hadn't spotted it before, but I've just seen the OP's nom de plume….

thebikechain

Once again;

Hmmm, outdoor kit alongside a bike shop? Now, if only someone had tried that. I dunno, maybe in Covent Garden and a range of other city centre locations.

Erm…..

And, maybe you could, after much deliberation, decide to call it The Bike Chain.

As I did.

ojom

Not sure what you are aiming at CF…

I think my OP makes it obvious i write on behalf of the shop.

Or am i missing something?

Ancient history, that's all

gonefishin

Well a few years ago Tiso (a large player in the scottish outdoor marker) bought over Alpine Bikes (a large player in the scottish biking market). Outside of their "Outdoor Experience" stores they sell very little that is common across the stores as there is quite simply not the market for it. If you want biking stuff, go to a bike shop. If you want camping stuff, go to an outdoors shop.

druidh

I can think of a few crossover products – maps, 1st aid kits, backpacks, but in the main, I wouldn't in looking for outdoor gear in a bike shop

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘would it be odd’ is closed to new replies.