Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Would I use an iPad?
  • iDave
    Free Member

Been offered an iPad in lieu of someones coaching fee. Not sure if I would use it though?

I use word, excel, email and browsing and like to work from wherever.

At the moment I use a wonky macbook and HTC phone.

Never even picked up an iPad, people who have them say they’re great but they would do wouldn’t they.

Advise and rebuke please.

jam-bo

Yes. Rarely use my laptop anymore.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I can’t imagine using one to work on. They’re great for looking at shit on the internet though

butcher

They’re good at some things, but not others.

They’re a great presentational tool if you do that kind of thing at work. And they’re great for browsing on. But Word, Excel, stuff like that…stick to what you’re using now.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

We’ve though the same. Laptop get used for little else.
    Could add it to the stable for kitchen telly watching easily.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack the OP’s thread. But can they be used for iplayer bbc et al? Also what about putting photos from a digi cam?

samuri
    Free Member

If you make a lot of stuff with a computer, they’re rubbish.

If all you do is look at stuff on a computer and make a decision based on that, they’re great.

wallop

I got given one for work, and now I never use a laptop when at home! I love it, it comes with me wherever I go – instant internet.

It won’t replace a laptop if you use word, excel etc for complex tasks but if you use the internet a lot then it will make you very happy. Especially if your laptop is crap, like mine, and takes about 8 minutes to start.

singlecrack
    Free Member

They have their limitations.

My iPad is used for web browsing mostly .

For the uses you have explained I think it would be fine ….but to 3G or not to 3G that is the question…!!!

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m looking at shit on it right now, I can also watch shit like iPlayer, ITV, 4od, film four, Netflix, love film. I also read mags on it and play games, listen to music.

It’s not very good for work unless you use it as a secondary monitor, but for all non wrk stuff – it’s the SHIT. 😀

Haven’t regretted getting one.

Tiger6791

They are very good

I’d have my money and buy one though swapsies ain’t good

chewkw
    Free Member

Cash is king …

smudge
    Free Member

I was thinking about one for about 3 months and eventually gave in… And to be honest, well worth it, it’s instant switch on and go. Use the flipboard app loads. Once you get one, give yourself a few days to get used to it and you won’t regret it.

saleem
    Free Member

Depends on how old it is whether it’d be worth doing it instead of the cash, you could always sell it on here if you didn’t get on with it.

chewkw
    Free Member

saleem – Member

… you could always sell it on here if you didn’t get on with it.

At a discount of course … :mrgreen:

grum
    Free Member

Surely iDave should have an iPad?

Love mine, use it all the time – computer only gets used for work stuff now really. I can use my bluetooth keyboard off my iMac with it if I have to do typing on it.

Love stuff like Flipboard and the Red Bull magazine app. Got some killer music production apps on there as well now.

wallop

Wow, thank you for mentioning flipboard. Just installed it and the twitter is awesome!

hugor
    Free Member

Its great at email, FB and internet browsing. Its no good at any other office applications. Its a great toy for flights and general waiting aroung.
    Thats all its good for.

grum
    Free Member

Thats all its good for.

I don’t agree. I edit photos on mine on holiday and it works great IMO. There’s loads of great music productions apps too. And office stuff is fine if you use an external keyboard.

It works great for showing people portfolio stuff for my photography business too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not convinced about this browsing thing either. I like to slump on a sofa with the laptop on my lap and it’s a perfect position without having to hold anything. I can’t see how I’d hold an iPad and type easily in any position I find myself in.

Best actual use I’ve seen for one was in lieu of a clipboard by someone standing or moving around to deal with people.

EDIT:

It works great for my showing people portfolio stuff for my photography business too.

This is a fantastic application for one too. Far easier to hand to someone else than a laptop.

grum
    Free Member

Not convinced about this browsing thing either.

The opinions of people who’ve never used something are generally the most useful. 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t say it was rubbish, I said I wasn’t convinced!

If someone lent me one I’d happily try it out, but without that option I’m not going to spend £500 to find out 🙂

jam-bo

I wasn’t convinced until someone else bought me one.

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t say it was rubbish

Typing on the iPad is rubbish.

Other stuff is great.

allthegear
    Free Member

Typing on the iPad doesn’t work *for you*.

Other people’s experience may vary. Apparently, a lot of younger people (yes, I know that counts out 90% of STW) are now saying that typing fast on an iPad is easier as the keys move less. Apparently 110 words per minute isn’t that unusual any more.

Rachel

sharkbait
    Free Member

I would say it was rubbish, but I wouldn’t want to write a book on it. Obviously the bluetooth keyboard fixes that problem.
    I find the iPad to be an incredibly useful piece of kit – wish I could afford another 🙁

edit: other tablets are available – but not for me.

khani
    Free Member

I love mine, the hdmi connector is great for watching Iplayer and movies on the telly, in fact the only downside is fighting the mrs for it 😥

eyerideit
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Not convinced about this browsing thing either. I like to slump on a sofa with the laptop on my lap and it’s a perfect position without having to hold anything. I can’t see how I’d hold an iPad and type easily in any position I find myself in.

You don’t get the sweaty legs/privates from the heat of a laptop, It’s not heavy so is easy to hold and there’s no risk of it sliding off.

Multiple wins for iPad.
    🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Typing on the iPad doesn’t work *for you*.

Well who the hell else am I going to be writing about? Duh!

rewski
    Free Member

They’re awesome, I spent a year debating getting one, I was foolish. Privateer is cheaper via online sub too. I use sketchbook pro a lot for my job, I never crunch numbers so can’t comment on that side, I’ve heard iWork is good though.

rewski
    Free Member

Double post, bloomin’ ipads.

iDave
    Free Member

Futile discussion now, he’s just told me he’s not ‘allowed’ to hire a coach……

Just when I thought it was a good idea.

rewski
    Free Member

You’ll have to buy now, do it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I love mine, the hdmi connector an AppleTV is great for watching Iplayer and movies on the telly

FTFY 🙂

andytherocketeer

You don’t get the sweaty legs/privates from the heat of a laptop, It’s not heavy so is easy to hold and there’s no risk of it sliding off.

Don’t get sweaty legs/privates with my laptop. Weight is not an issue. No need to hold it, cos it rests on legs, leaving 2 hands free to surf and type.

Multiple wins for the netbook/laptop imho.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Don’t get sweaty legs/privates with my laptop. Weight is not an issue. No need to hold it, cos it rests on legs, leaving 2 hands free to surf and type.

Seems we’ve reached an impasse – Different strokes for different folks I guess. 😉

AlexSimon

110 words per minute!
    I bet that was only with ,.!? punctuation. Anything else (including numbers) and it slows to a snail’s pace.

I got an iPad the other day for testing with. It’s great. There are many things that you didn’t realise you wanted to do while sat on the sofa before you get one. The speaker is remarkably good too. Much better than our laptops.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Seems we’ve reached an impasse – Different strokes for different folks I guess.

What?! An interwebs forum thread where we discover different people have different opinions on stuff ???!!

Who’s have thunk it eh?

Unbelievable.

eyerideit
    Free Member

joao3v16 – Member
    Seems we’ve reached an impasse – Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    What?! An interwebs forum thread where we discover different people have different opinions on stuff ???!!

Who’s have thunk it eh?

Unbelievable.

What do you think the 😉 was for? here’s some rolley eyes for your silly comment 🙄

grum
    Free Member

You crop up in every thread explaining why you don’t want/need an iPad. It sounds like the only person you are trying to convince is yourself. I predict you will have one within 3 months. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Would I use an iPad?’ is closed to new replies.