Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Would a worn chainring cause
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

the gears to skip when i put any kind of power down?
    New chain, newish cassette, jockey wheels are ok, new cables.
    Shifts perfectly and pedals well until it goes into the middle ring position (dual setup) and i stand up and pedal or put some effort in – bottom 4 cogs on the cassette. Higher up its ok but the chain is under more tension.

joiner
    Free Member

not really…..sounds like cassette problems to me mate….

seosamh77
    Free Member

worn chain ring can cause skipping, happened to me after i replaced a rear cassette and chain. chain ring was about 3 years old, replaced the middle one and all was good!

joiner
    Free Member

how would that cause it to slip on the cassette…..

oldgit
    Free Member

New chain newish cassette, think that’s your problem. You can’t go on how it looks.

Blower
    Free Member

New chain newish cassette, think that’s your problem. You can’t go on how it looks.

+1

seosamh77
    Free Member

how would that cause it to slip on the cassette…..

It didn’t. But slipping on the chainring feels awful like it’s slipping on the cassette. I chucked a perfectly good rear cassette away because of it as i was convinced it was the cassette and it was slipping like described above(only on certain gears, not all.).

joiner
    Free Member

it does state that it is slipping on the cassette…..

seosamh77
    Free Member

it does state that it is slipping on the cassette…..

not with any great certainty, hence the question about the front chain ring.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think the give away is that it slips on the bottom 4 sprockets. That can only be a worn cassette.

joiner
    Free Member

please read his post more carefully…..

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think the give away is that it slips on the bottom 4 sprockets. That can only be a worn cassette.

experience tells me different. Now i’m not saying that’s the OP’s problem, but i’m just saying that it is possible for a worn chain ring to cause the above symptoms.

joiner
    Free Member

a worn chainring wouldnt cause slipping on a cassette….

seosamh77
    Free Member

But slipping on the chainring feels awful like it’s slipping on the cassette.

As i say it’s quite easy to mistake one for the other.

joiner
    Free Member

keep digging….

Mister-P
    Free Member

I had the same years ago and could have sworn it was the cassette. One new chainring later and all was good again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

when my chainrings are **** they slip no matter what gear im in …..

when my cassettes **** it will slip in just the worn gears ….

in this case 5-9 ….

seosamh77
    Free Member

keep digging….

what am i digging? i’m recounting something that actually happened. It’s up to the OP to decide if that’s his problem or not.

joiner
    Free Member

would a worn chainring cause the gears to slip on the cassette……

seosamh77
    Free Member

You should read my posts properly…

joiner
    Free Member

you should read the question more carefully…..

seosamh77
    Free Member

you should stop being a tadger.

joiner
    Free Member

sticks and stones…..

project
    Free Member

Stand bike against a wall, with a wall in front for the front wheel to rest against, put he chain on relevant cog,on cassete, now mount bike, and try exerting force on pedals, ask a mate to see if chain slips on the chain wheel or cassette, but from experience its probably the freehub, that the cassete runs on.

popartpoem
    Free Member

Just to add a different dimension.

Gears slipping in the bottom half of the cassette a few months after a new one & new chain and cables, plus chainrings changed a month or so earlier … after much faffing LBS replaced the XT shifter and, hey presto, problem solved.

Not always the answer, but worth looking at.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

What I am saying is that it slips when their is less tension in the chain. The bottom half of the cassette us under less chain tension. I think it is slipping up front tho

h4muf
    Free Member

Freehub.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Freehub is fine

benjbish

Had the same problem as you Cruzheckler. Replaced cassette and chain, no difference. Then changed chain ring and all was good!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Well as a new chainring is cheapest that is option a

EdwardH

What is the bike, would be an Orange 5 or Patriot with the gear cable routed through the swing arm?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Sounds like a chainring to me FWIW. I’ve had new chain, cassette, jockey wheel chain skip rage before and a new middle ring resolved it.

Might be a good time to go 36/39T with a bashring?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Got 22/36 bash on a Heckler

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Turns out it was tthe worn chainring – swapped for a 36t deore steel and all is good

gcubed
    Free Member

Yip , had same problem just the other night , had just fitted new chain but noticed cassette and 36 chain ring badly worn as my chain although only 6 months old was well stretched, should have changed it ages ago- lesson learned . When out riding it jumped / skipped really badly when up on the pegs or under strain. Didn’t help my healing shoulder . Have ordered new cassette and chainring but in meantime went to the bin and dug out old knackered chain , went out this afternoon and there was no skipping .

joolsburger
    Free Member

I had exactly that issue. New Cassette, New chain and still slipping, middle ring was worn replaced it, all good.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Would a worn chainring cause’ is closed to new replies.