Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Wot no raging inverse snobbery thread this year?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Excellent start from Oxford just left Cambridge with too much to do.

Harry_the_Spider

A nation shrugs.

RustySpanner

Shush, I’m trying to plot a trajectory for this torpedo.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Not for me – rowed for a few years & bloody hell its hard. Not much fun either.

Basically 8 men going backwards being shouted at by an angry midget.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Never interested me, its not really a proper rowing race. Respect to those who do the sport, as above its bloody hard – I tried it and decide that was far too much pain for me

mefty
    Free Member

The scenery is always better when the sun is out. Big crowds this year.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

its not really a proper rowing race

😆

Don’t suppose you could enlighten us as to what is in your opinion, a proper rowing race?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Basically 8 men going backwards being shouted at by an angry midget.

The sort of thing Flashie would pay good money forming imagine 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

an angry midget.

And right on cue…..

😉

cranberry
    Free Member

Basically 8 men going backwards being shouted at by an angry midget

More fun for everyone with lube ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And right on cue…..

I guess you’d always have struggled to squeeze into a rowing boat flashy. Bit narrow for you.

(I was never an angry cox btw…maybe a bit shouty at novices but crikey, not at Masters, I’d have been thrown out. 😀 )

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Being stroke I always used to get it in the face off the cox….

Ooooohhhh errrrrrrrr missus!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Being stroke I always used to get it in the face off the cox….

So much better typed than spoken.

piemonster

Take it outside you two!

slowoldman

I was watching the Tour of Flanders.

mefty
    Free Member

It had finished before the boat races started

P-Jay
    Free Member

Was it today?

Drat, missed it again

jam-bo

So your upset that no one cares enough to be upset?

Did anyone sink? That’s the last time I saw it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So your upset that no one cares enough to be upset?

Id guess shocked given the number of hate hating on threads recently

Northwind

I love it tbh, it’s a ridiculous spectacle especially when shit hits the fan (there’s really nothing else in sport quite like seeing a crew rowing a boat which has clearly already sunk). And its total meaninglessness and archaicness means you can just enjoy it for what it is- no politics or tribalism for most folks.

slowoldman

It had finished before the boat races started

Ah but I was out for a bike ride so had to watch the tour on catchup.

MoreCashThanDash

Same to in the final again though. Like Scottish football used to be.

mt
    Free Member

I enjoyed it, watched while doing the ironing. Some fit lads and lasses in them there boats. Not to sure what the point of the celeb race was, perhaps to make the races by some very clever strong people seem relevant or was it dumbing down?

loddrik
    Free Member

The Boat Race. What an utterly stomach churning spectacle. An unwelcome relic of the age of deference.

Rockape63
    Free Member

The Boat Race. What an utterly stomach churning spectacle.

That’s more like it! 🙂

martinhutch

Always fun to see how they’ve smuggled in the ringers from the various International/Olympic crews. I wonder how many of them actually turn up to their lectures?

thegreatape
    Free Member

What is this “lecture” of which you speak? Must be an Oxbridge thing, it’s not something I was aware of when I went to university beer club.

binners

Meh….

loddrik
    Free Member

Maybe I should show more respect. One of those fine young men may soon be deciding how much welfare payments I’m not entitled to, privatising my NHS, managing the investment fund which takes over and dismantles my favourite businesses or selling off what’s left of UK industry. Ya know, credit where credit’s due.

Kahurangi

I think Stoner summed it up for many of us a few years back, far more eloquently than I ever could. I’ll paraphrase badly but the take away line was that “it’s an ancient grudge match” and that it would be going ahead just the same if no one was watching.

I’m embarrassed at every single strapping big fellas who wants to study BA Land Management, but there was a bulk of real students doing real degrees. Medicine, Engineering and Classics.

ampthill

Nothing of about two universities competing in a short popular in both universities. Just as that is in telly.

Sad to be reminded that it’s still dominated by the well healed

Rockape63
    Free Member

Maybe I should show more respect. One of those fine young men may soon be deciding how much welfare payments I’m not entitled to

….or maybe they might be the Surgeon performing a life saving operation on someone you know? Tarring everyone with the same brush, shows you have a very large chip on your shoulder! 🙂

wwaswas

Basically 8 men going backwards being shouted at by an angry midget

The women’s race is even worse – 8 strong women who already why they’re there and what they’re doing being mansplained what to do next by a small male passenger at the back of the boat.

wwaswas

still dominated by the well healed

the badly healed don’t get picked.

Northwind

ampthill – Member

Nothing of about two universities competing in a short popular in both universities. Just as that is in telly.

Yup. Or nope. No idea really.

johnx2
    Free Member

…and as to the idea that it’s somehow ‘elitist’, well I can’t say it better than Seneca: Non quia difficilia sunt non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like it.

If in Town working I’ve often ridden down the river to watch it, it’s a great atmosphere of jolly hockey sticks boorish boohaaa behaviour and beer.

Little to do with he actual racing, as most Henri’s/Henriettas are only interested in which Colour to have a punt on this year. Few on the wharfs have actually been to the Big Two, but invariably know of/snogged or bumped into in a Pizza restaurant somewhere in Claaam someone twice removed who applied once but got rejected..

But as a Grudge match between the Big Two it’s a spectacle they take seriously, and why not. I did when I competed at my Uni in Sailing..

You lot are just to pompous to enjoy it for what it is.

loddrik
    Free Member

You lot are just to pompous to enjoy it for what it is.

Looking at your spelling I don’t think you’d get on the team…

toby1

Irrespective of who wins I am far happier to be in Cambridge than Oxford, it’s a better city.

I’m saying that from a desk in Camden having just been rejected for a job closer to home 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Wot no raging inverse snobbery thread this year?’ is closed to new replies.