Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Worzel Gummidge
  • sparkyrhino

Just enjoyed, the first episode,another piece of Mackenzie magic, and some grand incedental music from the Unthanks to boot, anyone else?

Cougar

Not yet but it’s on my radar (as an SFX subscriber). Where’s it airing?

CountZero

It’s on Beeb One. Really well done, the Unthanks music is wonderful, and now I have a convincing explanation for crop formations!
    Episode two tomorrow on Beeb One.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Best bit of kids/adult TV in years. Kid friendly with a dark twist.

Still couldn’t get Pirates of the Caribbean out of my head though.

Was on BBC1

jekkyl

It was an absolute delight, loved the setting scene camera work of just a field with a hill and some trees in the sunlight, cut to a double track with hedgerow either side, cut to a field mouse darting back inside his den. Lovely middle class inspiring stuff, screaming ‘look at this wonderful country you live in’ – I thought it was ace.

simondbarnes

It was lovely

jimw
    Free Member

The Daily Fail hated it, so it must have been good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fantastic. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

tjmoore

In this season of ruining classics, it’s a charming version.

Only negatives, not enough Aunt Sally and no tea and a slice of cake 😄

CountZero

Only negatives, not enough Aunt Sally and no tea and a slice of cake

There’s a second episode, so anything’s possible.
    Just checked IMDB, she’s only in episode 1. Michael Palin is in the second episode.
    It’s always possible that there might be more episodes if these are successful, so we can only hope.

The Daily Fail hated it, so it must have been good

The Daily Wail can go and abuse itself with a turnip. Dry.

colournoise

Loved it. Beautiful balance of silly and serious, daft and dark.

Mackenzie Crook is the English Tim Burton? Only cleverer…

Only downer for me was the CGI on the Robin. Couldn’t work out if it was deliberately weird or just crap.

oldtennisshoes

Excellent – Mackenzie Crook is a genius.

Klunk
    Free Member

fantastic stuff. far too “PC” for the daily fail.

kelvin

Loved it. Surprised (and pleased) it was set in what rural England is now, rather than a fantasy of it… supermarket car park and all. The kids clicked with it straight away.

slowoldman

Just watched it. Lovely. McKenzie Crook is a genius.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I enjoyed that. Had no idea it was on until I read this thread.

csb

Proper feelgood telly and the wail slating good stuff like this is the most helpful contribution they can make to society.

Poopscoop

Going to watch this on catch up.

Not even seen an advert but am I right in assuming that if the Daily Mail hate it there is a non white/ non anglo Saxon featured in the show somewhere?😁

csb

Hahaha yep.

Northwind

Some excellently cracked moments in there. The rooks want paying. What do they want? Guns. Guns and cash.

Klunk
    Free Member

the daily fail saw this probably didn’t even watch it

loved how they did his hands

bonobo
    Free Member

I have harrowing nightmare visions of watching the original as a child.
    As a result I cannot and will not go anywhere near this.

I will just re-watch Detectorists instead.

locum76
    Free Member

Just thought I’d point out that the face of the new character is as it is because the whole head of the scarecrow is, in fact, a manglewurzel. The neep (though actually a beet rather than a brassica) like vegetable that the name of the character is based on. Anyone terrified by a root vegetable requires therapy.

Any other bad press from the daily fail will be due to the fostered non-white kids and the ecological message.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Dry bummed with a turnip? Heavens…

Not seen this yet but am looking forward to it now.

CountZero

Dry bummed with a turnip? Heavens…

It’s Daily Wail comments, nothing less than they deserve!

Anyone terrified by a root vegetable requires therapy.

See above…
    #mutleysnigger

tewit
    Free Member

Well we all thought both episodes were brilliant. Easily the best stuff over Christmas. Our six year old was hoping that it’s on tomorrow.☹️
    Even the teenagers loved it after dragging themselves away from their new Xboxswitch.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It was utterly brilliant.

imnotverygood

Both episodes were fantastic. I wish the bloody continuity announcer wouldn’t talk over the music at the end😖

kayak23

Tried to like it.

DickBarton

Watched first one with daughter tonight…bloody brilliant, second one getting watched tomorrow.

Have the original series on dvd and we watched that and it was loved. As predicted, we are both hoping for more episodes.

colournoise

Proper telly. I can’t believe there won’t be more but hope it’s at Crook’s pace and not as demanded by the Beeb.

I love the fact he’s not afraid to be silly, serious, clever and employ beautiful visuals in the same scene.

I’m a sucker for folklore and mythology so all of at just draws me in further (like the Green Man’s alter ego name).

Crook as a writer and director the more I see the more I like. Just so well thought out and meticulous. Neat little foreshadowing touches like

Spoiler:
    Soggy fondling his neckerchief when being asked about his favourite childhood story by Earthy.

The CGI on Winter George still bothers me but I noticed that all the Green Man’s insects were animated in the same style, so either they were all done on a Friday by the unpaid intern or it’s deliberate…

john_l
    Free Member

Anyone else think that Harley Davidson was Clarkson?

kimbers

Watched the 1st one with the kids today, all of them (aged between 3 & 9) liked it. Which made a nice change from Teen Titans Go or Blaze & the Monster Machines!I

I liked it too, some great lines in there

plop_pants
    Free Member

apparently Harley Davidson was acted by the chap from Detectorists playing the museum curator who wound Lance up about attempting to steal his find back.

CountZero

Proper telly. I can’t believe there won’t be more but hope it’s at Crook’s pace and not as demanded by the Beeb.

Crook is apparently up for more, I guess a lot depends on how well it’s received, and from what I’ve seen, it looks highly likely that more will be commissioned.
    Although, it’s never good to go counting chickens, etc.
    Fingers crossed…

parkesie
    Free Member

HORSE

funkmasterp

Really enjoyed watching both episodes with my five year old. Would be great to see more.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Just watched them both back to back with 3yo+8yo.

Utterly original with fantastic details for the grown ups. Crook is a genius.

(All the better because I didn’t think I’d enjoy it…)

lambchop
    Free Member

Filmed on the Ashridge Estate. Good cycling there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Worzel Gummidge’ is closed to new replies.