• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Worx Worxsaw (and other mini circular saws)- any good?
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

New to us house so lots of projects. Want to do some shelving (OSB or other sheet material) so need a cutting device. Shed/workshop to come so may get a chop/mitre saw at a later date.

A few older threads on here (mostly when Argos were doing them at bargain prices) but is everyone still finding them useful?

Would probably get the XL version for deeper cut capacity. Are any of the numerous Amazon alternatives OK and are cutting discs available from aftermarket companies?

Oh, and corded or battery? I have a Hydroshot so a few batteries and charger in use already although I was erring towards corded price wise.

Thanks..

footflaps

I have one, used it for cutting 18mm ply. A friend just came and collected it for cutting some ceiling tiles….

dyna-ti

Opt for corded. Less to go amiss, less chance of battery probs, charger probs, running out of juice 1/2 way through and waiting prescribed time to recharge.

Other than that seems a good idea with its minimum cut depth and user friendly size.
    The hospitals get a number of fingerless ripsnorter users in who felt a frigging great circular saw is suitable for everything.

Small, easy to use and little to no chance of kickback.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TiRed

I bought the cheapest chop saw. Like anything, if you keep putting it off, the cost/job means you won’t get one. It was cheap but was fine for chopping batten. I also use it for chopping up wood for the fire pit. Fittings and clamps aren’t up to a huge amount, but it does a job. Mine is bolted to a workbench that was equally cheap

footflaps

The hospitals get a number of fingerless ripsnorter users in who felt a frigging great circular saw is suitable for everything.

Yes, you’d be doing well to cut through your fingers using it….

Rio

I’ve got a couple of them, both corded – first one because I needed it and the second because it was in a deal with some blades that made it effectively free. Second one has a laser guide, which as well as channelling my inner James Bond villian is really good for seeing where it’s going to cut as long as you remembered to turn it off to save the battery last time you used it. I find them really useful – amongst other things I’ve used it for cutting down a table top, cutting sheets of ply, cutting floorboards and even cutting down doors and kitchen worktops by going from both sides. Not sure I’d bother with cordless as I usually use it with a vacuum attached so there wouldn’t be much benefit. The small one seems fairly safe and unlike a full-fat circular saw I don’t feel as though it will sever a finger or two the moment I lose concentration; I guess the XL one trades off some of that safety for versatility.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve got a corded one. Used it to sort some flooring but it doesn’t come out much. Always nice having new tools though.

dyna-ti

Using a chop/sliding miter saw.

Clamp wood using supplied clamp.
    Make cut.
    Allow saw to spring back up
    Ensure guard is closed*
    Release timber from clamp.

* Often the cut off piece can become jammed in the guard preventing it from closing fully. People then reach in and either their jumper or back of their hand contacts the spinning blade.

Sorry, bit of a stickler about powered saws. I honestly dont think amateurs should be able to easily buy them, without first having had some sort of training in them. All accidents on them are serious, usually crippled for life serious.

You need fingers to grip bicycle handlebars 😉

footflaps

* Often the cut off piece can become jammed in the guard preventing it from closing fully. People then reach in and either their jumper or back of their hand contacts the spinning blade.

Yes, have a friend who has no feeling in several fingers after just that, put his hand where the guard was supposed to be, only it wasn’t….

stumpy01

I bought one of the original Works mini circular saws when I needed to cut through the tongues in floorboards to lift them.
    It was brilliant & gave me a lot of confidence that I wasn’t going to cut through the central heating pipes underneath (which is why I was bringing the floorboards up).
    Cut depth is a bit small perhaps for general DIY, but I think you can get them with a slightly larger cut-depth than mine.
    I like the fact that if making 2 cuts at 90deg. that meet, the required overlap to cut all the way through is less than with a larger saw.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I put in a new bathroom and used a mini plunge circular saw for getting up floorboards and cutting sheet plywood to do the floor. Great for all that. I got corded too as it’s used so infrequently, and tends to be used for “big” jobs where I’ve got an extension lead out anyway.

It still kicked back a few times when it hit nails, but I guess a lot less than a large circular saw.

simon_g

Seem good for electricians/plumbers getting floors up. For more general use a cheap tracksaw would be better IMO.

finishthat
    Free Member

Yeah ^^ track saw for really tidy straight cuts , the small “trim” saws are great but watch out for blade prices and wear cutting OSB.

joebristol

I like my worx mini circular saw – it’s a nice small thing for quick jobs. Think the max cut depth is 25mm but that’s been deep enough for most things.

I do have a proper circular saw but I find that a bit scary tbh – I only use it if I really have to.

I’ve also got one of those big chop saws screwed to a black and decker type fold up workmate things (it a cheap b&q version I think) – that’s ace where you’re building stuff and have loads of timber to cut.

Just a word of warning – don’t think that with the little worx saw it would be hard to chop a finger – it still needs plenty of respect!

dyna-ti

I do have a proper circular saw but I find that a bit scary tbh

No harm in that.
    Im use to them and this one scared the willies out of me 😆

benp1

I have a healthy respect for my circular saw. I last used it to make a plywood slot together bed for the back of the van. Was fantastic for that. A cordless mini one would probably get more use, but for quick, little jobs usually end up using a handsaw

Used my corded multitool the other day to replace a rotten door frame, what a cracking bit of kit they are…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Worx Worxsaw (and other mini circular saws)- any good?’ is closed to new replies.