Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Worthwhile chainstay (chainsuck) protection?
  • letmetalktomark

Seems almost to simple …..

Guess it would need replacing if severe chainsuck were to happen but might offer protection in the first case.

Thinking of wrapping a steel frame with skinny double butted stays.

Thoughts 🙂

simon1975

I protect my top tube from lever damage in the same way. Is that self-amalgamating tape? Neat.

crikey
    Free Member

That’s basically what Trek did to protect the chainstay on the first OCLV carbon road bikes. They added a tall washer that fits behind the BB to stop the chain from gouging the BB shell too.

It’s just stuck on with a bit of double sided tape; mines been there for about 12 years.

letmetalktomark

Cool.

The ^^ pics aren’t mine but I was planning on replicating it with self amalgamating tape 8)

dantsw13

Coke can is extremely thin though. A friend of mine fabricated a bracket to fix his Yeti 575 delaminated chainstay from an Aluminium broom handle – worked perfectly!

sideshow
    Free Member

I recently made one from two layers of old inner tube + cable ties. Don’t know if it will work yet. Yes, the chain will slice through the inner tube but I’m sort of hoping that by the time it’s cut through two layers of rubber the link will press sideways on the rubber too so pressure will be spread over a wider area. And the chain hopefully jams before it cuts steel.

Northwind

I tried a coke can but it just tore, bit of thicker aluminium worked well though.

chiefgrooveguru

You’d be better off with a bit of baked beans tin, that’s much tougher.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Worthwhile chainstay (chainsuck) protection?’ is closed to new replies.