Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • worth having height meter function on bike computer?
  • alpin
    Free Member

VDO MC1.0….. checking one on ebay. going across the alps and need/want a wireless computer.

is it worth it other than as proof that you did ride up AND down the hills?
    may buy a ‘better’ computer rather than swapping over the 10-bob jobbie i’m using on the road bike.

worth the extra dough?

alternatively recommend me a decent wireless computer…

cheers.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Sounds like a waste of money and I thought they are meant to be pretty innacurate; if you want to blow some money get a combined heart rate monitor that does cadence and speed. Otherwise I rate the Cateye Strada as a good wireless comp.

stumpyjon

Depends on how accurate you want. I think many just use GPS coordinates to estimate height so it’s only as accurate as the GPS position.

I’ve got a barometric altimeter on my Garmin Etrex but it’s not always accurate, I think I’m supposed to reset it before starting to a known elevation but I never bother (it sometimes thinks Clitheroe is 100 ft below sea level 😕 ).

I quite like the height display, used it a lot at Afan on the Skyline trail as a motivator, at least I was going up even if I wasn’t going forward very fast. Use Tracklogs when I get back though to generate an elevation profile.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you want to know how high/much you have climbed? If yes get it if no dont.
    I like it though and (depsite an error factor)it is good enough /usable

alpin
    Free Member

well yes, i figure it’d be useful, more as a motivational tool than anything else; “look, only another 300m to carry then we’re at the hut and can eat/sleep/drink” sort of motivation.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah I like having it on my GPS even if it isn’t that accurate – it’s pretty useful for navigating too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘worth having height meter function on bike computer?’ is closed to new replies.