Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Worth fixing this Cannondale Lefty carbon fork?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

As title, picked up a cheap old Cannondale Jekyll as I wanted the XT/XTR & various parts on it for another retro build. Reason cheap was that the carbon lefty fork is seized up, looks like someone has stuck silver paper over the top part of the fork where perhaps adjusters once were, everything else is working fine still on the bike. So just weighing up whether it’s economic to fix the fork either DIY (how easy? Can’t find much info on line for this model) or to send off somewhere for a service, then keep and use the bike. Or just what I originally intended, keep the parts I wanted and ebay what’s left for spares/repair. Any leads or tips, cheers
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2mUhjBN]IMG_7246[/url]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2mUmMy4]IMG_7247[/url]

Sandwich

Sussed Out Suspension in East Bergholt can service it but it will be expensive if my experience of Cannondale parts is anything to go by. The older ones need a look at once a year and are slightly temperamental.

cannyj
    Free Member

There’s a bit of a following for the lefty’s someone would buy that from you.
    I’ve still got a jekyll 900 of that vintage! was wondering if a set of flared bars would make a half decent gravelly bike. Geo is adjustable and the titanium lefty and rear suspension both lockout.. rubbish idea??

letmetalktomark

That’s an early one with the titanium “foot”.

I have a couple of Lefty’s of various ages inc a carbon one albeit a slightly later one.

User serviceability beyond resetting and greasing the bearings is minimal without the special tools. The inners of my carbon fork are made of cheese, soft cheese at that.

If the cartridge in that fork is missing they tend to be circa £150 – £200+ and tend to be version specific – there are Fox, RockShox cartridges.

You may get lucky but if it is seized and missing bits then it may be beyond help.

May not though 😉

walleater

Brings back nightmares of Castle tools, bleeding dampers (that actually would have been easy if we’d have had a vat of oil and just submerged the damper when cycling it….) and sizing needle roller bearings as they have to be a precise fit. Or was it sizing the bits that the bearings roll on?
    Either way, not a realistically a DIY job without buying tools and doing a fair bit of research.

thepodge
    Free Member

If it’s just spares / repairs then give me a shout, I’ve been wanting one for a random project.

nickc

Why is there silver paper stuck to the top of it?

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds like not worth doing. thepodge I’ll let you know when taken apart. No idea why silver paper on top, I’ll peel off and have a look what’s underneath, could be something hidden….

redstripe
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mUtQdb]IMG_7249[/url]

Very weird, under silver paper down the tube seems to be what looks like a PP3 battery terminal and nothing else….

crazy-legs

Very weird, under silver paper down the tube seems to be what looks like a PP3 battery terminal and nothing else….

Yes, the fork had an electronic lockout. Button on top, touch it and a tiny LED came on to indicate the fork was locked.

One of those classic Cannondale things – why have a cheap lever when you can make a pointlessly complicated electrical circuit…

thepodge
    Free Member

@redstripe thanks

Tim
    Free Member

Someone local to me is selling a cheap lefty if it’s any help…

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks, have now stripped it for parts wanted and stuck the frameset on ebay with offer option – @thepodge, cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Worth fixing this Cannondale Lefty carbon fork?’ is closed to new replies.