Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Worth a read if you're flying to GVA this summer and renting a car to go to FR
  • luffy105
    Free Member

Looks like yet another debacle is brewing on the Franco Swiss border. Worth a read if you’re planning to rent a car in Geneva Swiss side to drive to France.

http://edgemag.net/2016-05-13-confusion-eu-law-geneva-car-hire-france/

Might be worth arranging collection a collection on the French side of the airport until it all blows over.

Stoner
    Free Member

Thanks luffy. Mrs Stoner is hiring a car in June. Will make sure it checks out first

crazy-legs

Thanks for that – we’re flying to Geneva for the Etape du Tour so that’s very useful info.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks.

I usually hire from the French side for skiing but this going to cause problems..

It’s almost as if they don’t want the cars back, the French car hire return is (or used to be) so well hidden with no signs. The airport is a rabbit warren too and not easy to get to the French side.

Also worth noting the route through Geneva without using the motorway is torturous.

Swiss hire cars seem more expensive at first glance but on checking, in winter they come with winter tyres and a motorway vignette too so no additional costs needed to take the easy route or add chains etc.

I’ll watch how this one develops.

steelfan
    Free Member

Thanks For this.
    We have a car booked from GVA swiss side and supposed to driving to St Gervais in July. Trying to find out the situation now.

Update: Just spoke to the sales agent at the europe car desk in Geneva airport and at the moment it ok to take across and they are waiting for further instruction on this. When they know more we will be emailed.

steelfan
    Free Member

Further to my post above I also emailed Holiday Autos who I booked through and they have come back saying you cant hire swiss side and drive into France. Have now changed booking to pick up from french side but it cost an extra £300! I imagine there will be loads of people who will not find out until they get to Geneva Swiss side and then struggle to change their booking.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nd a motorway vignette too so no additional costs

If your lucky someone will have been stung and stuck the vignette in the window, as said pain to get around and the Swiss on the border will have you on the spot.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I always understood it was cheaper to higher a French car anyhow, and always had done at Geneva, so no change.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I always understood it was cheaper to higher a French car anyhow

I would suspect there will be a glut of Swiss ones up for hire cheap shortly, always best to check

batfink
    Free Member

Obviously depends on your final destination – but many of the skiing areas are just as close to Lyon, and it’s a far easier drive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Worth a read if you're flying to GVA this summer and renting a car to go to FR’ is closed to new replies.