Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Worst thing you've forgotten when commuting?
  • adsh
    Free Member

Braved the 0.5C this am for a great ride in only to realise that I forgot to shave, have 2 days of growth and a presentation to the Board….. I do not look trendy merely scruffy.

Anyone forgotten enough or something serious enough to have to return home or go out and buy?

Dibbs
    Free Member

ID pass and locker keys (more than once 😳 ).

Northwind

Once forgot my work shoes while commuting by motorbike and spent the entire day in my sidi vertebras, looking like some sort of futuristic cowboy.

ransos
    Free Member

My clothes. Had to get back into my sweaty lycra after my shower. Then I got called into a meeting…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

a change of socks when it seemed monsoon season had arrived

squelch squelch squelch all day.

nedrapier

Not too bad – spare pants when it was raining. Stroll round the corner to Next, commando in suit trousers.

Certainly forgotten to shave before, but never before a board meeting. Yet.

atlaz
    Free Member

trousers and footwear

didgerman
    Free Member

A towel. Get to work, shower, reach in bag, start jumping….

nedrapier

About once a fornight, I’ll get up to change, pick up the bag with my shirt and socks in, head to the disabled loo, get half way changed and realise my trousers are still on the back of the chair.

And then there’s riding home, and realising the next morning that I’ve got a client meeting away from the office, smart shoes are under my desk…

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Trousers. Luckily realised before arriving at work and showering (but only just) and nipped home. Thank god its only 6 miles each way!

theflatboy
    Free Member

treaclesponge – me too, quite recently. up until then I’d forgotten everything else and either bought replacements or coped. Trousers were a different story though – 21 mile back and forth round trip at full effort was definitely an interesting start to the day! I now have a spare old suit at work!

I’m waiting for the day when I forget the bag itself…

Stoner
    Free Member

the key to the lock on my London bike I keep at Paddington station. Get off the train and can visualise the key sitting on my desk 100 miles away.

At least I got to have a go on a Boris bike for the first time. It was…interesting….but still better than taking the tube.

firestarter
    Free Member

That I was on duty at a different station for the day

jam-bo

it was saturday.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Oof, For 21 miles I think I would have just gone home and called in sick!

muzzle
    Free Member

Once got halfway to work on a 5-mile commute to realise I wasn’t wearing my helmet… decided to do the 2.5 miles home to get it rather than the 7.5 miles I’d have otherwise had to do without it that day, cos I just knew that it would be the day I fell off. I didn’t fall off.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

No ones mentioned ‘to stop at a red light’ yet.

mogrim

Managed to leave the laptop and my trousers at home, on separate occasions.

Been a fair few days without phone or wallet, too.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Underware – more of an issue having no bra under a white top than for a boy to go commando!

Have also forgotten locks, towel and once forgot all my clothes – luckily tk maxx is a stonesthrow from my office

Daffy

My laptop. It’s amazing how difficult it is to get anything done without a computer these days.

njee20
    Free Member

Bike.

Took me ages to realise why I was going so much slower than usual.

pondo

Whilst driving most of the way then cycling the last twelve miles, I have suffered the vexation of arriving at my parking spot and realising the bike’s front wheel is still in the garage, thirty miles behind me.

On the bright side, at least I ended up at work over an hour early. 🙁

benp1

All sorts, but I keep back ups knowing I’ll forget (spare socks, spare boxers, spare towel, spare trousers and shirts, spare shoes, spare belt etc). Also motorbike in so this stuff can serve double purposes

A little while ago I forgot my wallet and keys – couldn’t buy anything, had to go into London for a meeting and didn’t have my oyster card, couldn’t get back into the house easily, couldn’t lock my bike at work etc etc. On top of that I was out the office for nearly a week so wasn’t comfortable my bike would be secure without being locked, had to leave it by the printer in a big open plan area of the office. Lesson learnt (I hope)

mrhoppy

Forgot my work shoes for a week away in meetings had to go and buy some new ones. I’ve picked up the wrong suit bag which had my older (slimmer fitting) suit in, spent the 1st day turning puce with a squeaky voice before I could buy some new, kind of matching, trousers that fit properly.

tomhoward

Towel.

Remembered as I was getting out of the shower. Base layers make suprisingly good substitutes.

Keys to lock too. 🙁

theflatboy
    Free Member

To clarify earlier post – 21 miles was the cumulative distance over three 7 mile legs, rather than the each way distance!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does getting off a flight, getting to a hotel late, not unpacking properly and then realising at 0730 the next day (Monday) that I hadn’t packed a single proper shirt or tie. Or cufflinks. 😳

Emergency shirt shopping in the US is a very dispiriting experience. Bought two, they were worn for a day each and then thrown away as soon as my two days of meetings were over. Button cuffs? Bleurgh.

warpcow
    Free Member

Keys. I picked up the car keys by mistake as I was leaving home, so couldn’t lock my bike or get into the building, let alone my office, without waiting for the lucky bastards who were starting at a normal hour.

Forgetting my phone is becoming a regular occurence too.

I keep back-ups of quite a few things at work nowadays; change of clothes, spare lights, etc.

ndthornton
    Free Member

My trousers!
    Was a newish job too – and an 18 mile commute.
    Realized just before getting to work – hung round Tewkesbury market waiting for it to open then bought the cheapest most horrible pair of polyester trousers in size too big.

Arrived mega late – wore for 1 day – banished to a draw where they became my emergency trousers.

Anyone else have ’emergency’ trousers?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I do have an emergency shirt in a drawer here. Plain white, to go with any tie/suit. Has been used once or twice after coffee/lunch related incidents.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

more cheese Gromit!

avdave2

Emergency trousers and shirt always at work with pants and socks in case of a soaking on the way in. Only thing I’ve forgotten is that my bike won’t ride through 2ft of drifted snow. Guess I need a fat bike to add to the collection.

kimbers

keys left in the front door, sighhhh turn around cycle 10 miles home, get them, cycle 10 miles back to work!

I keep emergency pants and tshirt in my desk

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Locker key, trousers, socks , underwear, security pass/door cards, wallet, phone, lunch, cycling gloves – yup, done all those but not at the same time and usually have spare clothes at work. Tbh, I was more rattled by realising I’d not put gloves on, half way to work. Don’t like riding bare handed, wuss that I am.

TiRed

I have suit, jeans, shoes and emergency underwear at work in a locker. Sometimes if I don’t ride home and go out, the shoes make it home. On one occasion they didn’t make it back. Cue a day walking around on tiptoes in cleated road shoes. Some admiring comments from the ladies.

Of course I’ve left my briefcase on the drive too – rode home. And left my glasses behind so spent the day wearing my Rx Rydon cycling frames.

My worst faux pas is having to break out of the garage after the internal door slammed shut and the family were away for the weekend. Had to remove the deadbolts from the garage door using tools from the garage, then break back into the house with a ladder. Was late that morning.

senorj

I carry my pump in my back pocket&left it on the changing room bench.
    Miraculously, my inevitable puncture occurred half a mile from home.

back2basics
    Free Member

the way to work, was in a day dream thinking i was going to the hills and took a wrong turn…

twojumpers

I’ve forgotten most things at least once. The most annoying though were forgetting a pump when I went the ‘long way’ and got a flat 7 miles from work/home and opening my bag to find I have no shirt, then sitting in a damp t-shirt at my desk.

radoggair
    Free Member

Once forgot a tyre lever, but thats about it really. All my clothes stay at work along with a gym bag and have shower facilities, changing facilities, towels galore and washing and drying facilities. Perks of running a hotel and restaurant i guess ( along with free food and drink )

Fantombiker

Cuff-links. Followed by board meeting. Spent a good 30 mins trying to fashion paperclips into a usable alternative. Couldn’t make it work so rolled sleeves up, looked rather odd in November.

On a slightly different issue. Had chain break on the way to work. Chain was really oily. got to work and couldn’t get all grime off my hands and out from under nails. Had to do team presentation….Now I carry a pair of silicon gloves with me…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Worst thing you've forgotten when commuting?’ is closed to new replies.