• This topic has 80 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Worst Product of 2018 – so what have you bought, used and regretted?
  • Poopscoop

This Lifeline branded combined pump/co2 valve from wiggle. Thank God I tested it before taking it out on the trails. Leaks co2 from a joint on the connector and is just basically unusable.

geex
    Free Member

Praise Jesus. We could all have lost a good man to that gas leak

Poopscoop

Yeah,I possibly should have pointed out that at most it would have left me with having to inflate a tyre with the world’s smallest pump if the co2 inflator failed…. rather than making it sound like it would have lead to an instant labotomy or such. Lol

chevychase

+1 for any sealant other than Stans being pish.

I don’t buy anything without *obsessive* internet research first. Hence I’ve nothing useful to contribute to this thread. 🙂

hols2
    Free Member

I bought some “Cookie Dough” flavoured protein bars. They tasted like raw cookie dough, which is much less tasty than I remembers. I tried toasting them hoping they would taste like cookies, but they just tasted like burnt cookie dough. Very effective at curing hunger pangs though.

milky1980
    Free Member

A new Fox remote for my Fox Transfer dropper post. Smashed the original so just automatically replaced like-for-like and it fell apart after a few rides. Got a PNW one in the way to replace it, which is what I would have done anyway if I wasn’t so tired and on autopilot when I ordered it!

On the subject of Peaty’s stuff I’ve got the chain lube and it’s been fine but seeing as it’s supposedly rebranded Wickene and Soderstrom No3 buy with blue dye in the waxy bit it should be good! Tried the sealant, crap. Got a pair of the Deedars and they’re still on the valves but crap for the money (mine came free with a chainring from Uberbike). Why does a pro seemingly put their name to stuff without trying it?

DickBarton

Money, he gets paid to let companies use his name.

firestarter
    Free Member

Definitely as mentioned above, an stw sub. Don’t really read the mag just got the sub to support the website, but since all the improvements it’s now crap

dumbbot
    Free Member

On the subject of Peaty’s stuff I’ve got the chain lube and it’s been fine but seeing as it’s supposedly rebranded Wickene and Soderstrom No3 but with blue dye in the waxy bit it should be good!

Really? I’m a fan of wickens no3 and had wondered why it was becoming harder to get hold of. On the other hand I’m not a fan of Peary’s having attempted to use their awful sealant.
    Seems like a strange rebranding.

mcj78
    Free Member

Birzman Maha push and twist floor pump. No matter how I’ve tried to make it work, I can’t. Replaced the head for another make.

I have one of those – worked well for a bit, but then the thread on the head seemed to wear down meaning it wouldn’t engage on a presta valve, I managed to fix it by screwing a brass presta adapter into the Schrader thread – actually works better now as the head spins so you can screw it onto the valve far more securely than you originally could.

Also had one of those lifeline co2 heads which simply did not work – as soon as you screwed the cartridge in it would just empty in one huge burst

big_scot_nanny

I seem to have bad luck with Leyzene’s fancier pumps, whether workshop or pack. I find the push on heads on the track pumps really do not work properly, and the gauges inaccurate. Instead of the push on head, the screw on head of course works, but it doesn’tspin Freely enough from the hose so things get very tricky.

I had a really nice Leyzene mini track pump thing for the pack, with the fold out foot. It worked great the first 4 times it was used, then the seals seemed to go on every part of the pump/hose at the same time making it useless (and out of warranty).

Expensive, tarty and ultimately a bit bollocks. Due to these experiences I tend to avoid the brand.

On the sealant thing, Stans does work, but I have also found Schwalbe Doc Blue stuff very good, and every 500ml bottle comes with a handy wee bottle and valve core remover.

superdez75
    Free Member

Ass saver, lost it on the first ride waste of money so I made one out of duck tape, a plastic milk bottle and zip ties which has been quite effective but most of all still attached to the bike.

So many complaints about tyre sealant… I make my own never once had a puncture in the 3 years I’ve been using it and just recently used it to seal a slow puncture in my car. It’s cheap as well probably around £6 to £7 quid for 2.5 litres.

DickBarton

How do we obtain your recipe please?

ashweee
    Free Member

Another vote for peatys sealant, utterly useless at sealing even the smallest of holes but it is good at staining your clothes and making a mess of your bike.

milky1980
    Free Member

Really? I’m a fan of wickens no3 and had wondered why it was becoming harder to get hold of.

It was on their advertising blurb when it first launched that Wickens had helped them develop it so I asked at their stand at the Malverns Classic and one of the lads let it slip it’s the same stuff. Only got a bottle as like you I couldn’t get any No3 to replace my nearly empty one. Seems nearly as good so far but it’s only been in use for 3 rides so early days.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Hope 35W rims – made of cheese, added Cushcore to mitigate, knackered two new tyres getting them on and off this combination biggest waste of money so far in 30 years of Mtbing!

ogden
    Free Member

Superstar headset. Cups went in and the bearing wouldn’t fit, tolerances are far to tight. Contacted them and they said the frame needed reaming, bought a nukeproof headset and it worked fine.

russyh
    Free Member

Contacted them and they said the frame needed reaming, bought a nukeproof headset and it worked fine.

Never criticise superstars, or even question them online! They are always right and their products are superior to everyone else’s! Probably the single most narcissistic business I have ever seen and outwardly critical of everyone else via their social media.

hols2
    Free Member

They are always right and their products are superior to everyone else’s! Probably the single most narcissistic business I have ever seen and outwardly critical of everyone else via their social media.

Brings to mind a computer company named after a fruit.

ojom
    Free Member

“On the sealant thing, Stans does work, but I have also found Schwalbe Doc Blue stuff very good, and every 500ml bottle comes with a handy wee bottle and valve core remover.”

What if I told you Doc Blue is just Stans. They don’t hide it.

bob_summers

Running shoes. Took up trail running about a month ago, currently sofa-bound with two badly swollen ankles…

DezB
    Free Member

Easy one for me – Lidl’s mobiwasher thing. Not only did it leak its entire contents over the floor of my car, but I can spit water 10x more powerfully than the useless object dribbles out of it’s nozzle.
    I’m usually careful with my purchases, so this is probably biggest waste of money in the last 10 years, not just 2018.

ogden
    Free Member

”Easy one for me – Lidl’s mobiwasher thing. Not only did it leak its entire contents over the floor of my car, but I can spit water 10x more powerfully than the useless object dribbles out of it’s nozzle.
    I’m usually careful with my purchases, so this is probably biggest waste of money in the last 10 years, not just 2018.”

Why didn’t you just take it back?

welshfarmer

I have a Leyzene pump that I cannot use since every time you blow a tyre up and try to remove the inflation tube, it simply unwinds the valve core. Doesn’t matter how tight the valve has been put in either. Also another vote for Trail boss tyres, the only tyre that has seriously tried to kill me! 🙂
    Oh and special mention to an Elite bottle cage that snapped as I tried to put a loaded bottle in it for the very first time. That was £12 well spent! NOT

kiksy
    Free Member

I have a Leyzene pump that I cannot use since every time you blow a tyre up and try to remove the inflation tube, it simply unwinds the valve core.

I found adding a blob a grease to the thread on the pump helps.

bob_summers

I’ve never got that Lezyne thing, it’s not happened to me on various generations and models of the pump – but the first time I lent one to a mate on a ride, he unscrewed the core. My problem with them is there is one make of valve, can’t remember which but probably on Vittoria tubulars, which has a smaller shoulder meaning the head doesn’t seal properly.

Metasequoia

What i’m Mostly getting from this is that Stans is very good…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Mudguards that are too wide but fine for large tyres and stupid sized eyelet holes.

Decided to move somewhere hot instead of this faffing.

chakaping
    Free Member

Never criticise superstars, or even question them online! They are always right and their products are superior to everyone else’s! Probably the single most narcissistic business I have ever seen and outwardly critical of everyone else via their social media.

This rings true after a bizarrely passive aggressive exchange with them about a wheel.

Still use them for chainrings and pedals though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Feelmax Kuuva 5 boots from Finland. First pair had splits in the leather in the left boot. Finally got them to do something about it and they sent another boot. Put it on for the first time and one if the eyelets snapped off. 3 boots, a month old, never been worn and I can’t get a response from the company in Finland.

alpin
    Free Member

Leyzene mini track pump thing for the pack, with the fold out foot. It worked great the first 4 times it was used, then the seals seemed to go on every part of the pump/hose at the same time making it useless (and out of warranty).

Expensive, tarty and ultimately a bit bollocks. Due to these experiences I tend to avoid the brand.

On the sealant thing, Stans does work, but I have also found Schwalbe Doc Blue stuff very good, and every 500ml bottle comes with a handy wee bottle and valve core remover.

Make sure your removable valve is tight before fitting the pump and then do not over tighten the hose. Have got the same pump and had it for years. Has been used countless times (used for transalp guiding several years) and never had a problem.

Doc Blue is Stans.

alpin
    Free Member

Oh, and to the cut unhappy with RS damping try a Fox 🦊 fork. Much better when the going gets tough, imo…. However not as responsive on the bimbly stuff.

alpin
    Free Member

My 2018 disappointment was Maxxis tyres. Had two tyres bulge on me. One rear DHR when jumping off a curb and a front HR2 after a dodgy landing…. Both week old tyres.

Was sorely tempted to try CST tyres (the same factory where Maxxis are made), but mates rates meant I went for Maxxis again.

walleater

^ Maxxis is just a brand name for Cheng Shin Rubber / CST. I remember them from BITD making the likes of ‘Marin’ tyres IIRC. I guess they figured out that no self respecting MTB ‘bro’ would ever buy a Cheng Shin tyre so rebranded 😉

sirromj

I was really pleased with my Endura MTR II baggy shorts, right up their “Powerful Protection” was actually needed because it rained.

doomanic

They are always right and their products are superior to everyone else’s! Probably the single most narcissistic business I have ever seen and outwardly critical of everyone else via their social media.

Brings to mind a computer company named after a fruit.

And the leader of the free world…

Mbnut
    Free Member

Love this thread…

Stans Race is the best sealant.

Leyzene pump is great but there is a knack.

Hope have never made a good rim…. but they do make great headsets etc so why would anyone go to Superstar… it’s like taking up smoking now that we know what it does.

Rock Shox Revs, sounds a lot like they were not equalised during adding air, mate had the same issue, 10 minutes setting up properly made a world of difference though as mentioned, Fox if a hard charger.

Endura 500 sprayproof buggies, 10 muddy rides and dead… annoying.

DMR Twins for me… did ok but I was expecting more with their track record.

Just finishing a HT build, fingers crossed I’ll have nothing to add.

DezB
    Free Member

Why didn’t you just take it back?

Day after I bought it went to Wales for a week (when it leaked in the car).. and lost the receipt. But, yeah, I should’ve.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A tea pot from an M&S clearance shop, yep if teapots make it that far there is a serious design flaw.

alpin
    Free Member

^ Maxxis is just a brand name for Cheng Shin Rubber / CST. I remember them from BITD making the likes of ‘Marin’ tyres IIRC. I guess they figured out that no self respecting MTB ‘bro’ would ever buy a Cheng Shin tyre so rebranded 😉

Exactly…. 90% the same as Maxxis at 30% of the price.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Worst Product of 2018 – so what have you bought, used and regretted?’ is closed to new replies.