Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 529 total)
  • Worst. Film. Ever.
  • AlexSimon

I remember going to watch Highlander 2 at the Showcase Bradford.
    The 9:00 showing was sold out, so we just waited around 2h5mins for the next one.
    That’s got to be be the most disappointing film experience of mine.

As someone said, it tried to completely ruin the first one. Thankfully I’ve managed to forget it and rewatch the first one with my boys and thoroughly enjoyed it anew.

gobuchul
    Free Member

As someone said, it tried to completely ruin the first one.

Didn’t Highlander 2 basically contradict every main plot point from Highlander?

In particular, the whole thing about “The Quickening”?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Yeah, thread has become a pointless read of films people don’t like or are expecting to be documentaries about war, when they are merely entertainment.

The problem I have with films like 1917, Dunkirk, Darkest Hour and the Imitation Game, is that they do not put themselves forward as “merely entertainment” but present as historically accurate, when they are not. What is even more annoying, with the last 3 on the list, there is still an incredible story to tell, even if they had told the actual story.

That’s how Black Adder Goes Forth ended up being used to teach WW1 history.

BoardinBob

Why are people listing AAA movies?

Because how else would we know how edgy they are?

Spin
    Free Member

The problem I have with films like 1917, Dunkirk, Darkest Hour and the Imitation Game, is that they do not put themselves forward as “merely entertainment” but present as historically accurate, when they are not

That’s a bit of a catch 22 though isn’t it? If you’re going to make a film set in a specific era then you need to take the time and effort to make it look and feel right. And it seems like the more accurate it is in look and feel the more some people take the hump when it’s inaccurate in other ways.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Why are people listing a battery of AAA movies?

FIFY.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Anything involving Jason Statham

No, not at all! I grant you that they are mostly utter cheese fests but there is something gloriously entertaining about most of them. As other shave said, many on this thread don’t seem to comprehend the concept of worst film ever made. It comes across as a weird case of “right on” credentials setting. I get that you may not like the film and you may have had issues with some of factual accuracy of them but to describe them as the worst film ever? Yeah, right.

Have seen plenty of (to me) awful films. One of the first I remember seeing was Beetlejuice. To me that was just plain awful. Most Steven Seagal films are pretty awful. Under Siege was actually alight but then he seed to go and put on 100 pounds and then try and carry off credible martial arts moves in largely plotless stories. Most of them utter drivel. Found Blade Runner 2049 interminably dull. I wouldn’t describe it as the worst film ever made but I found it so dull I actually went to sleep in the cinema, after running out of resolve to will it to end. Spongebob Squarepants the movie was also a cinematic low point (the things we do for kids sometimes).

Kuco

Most Steven Seagal films are pretty awful.

You are actually right in that statement. Other than Nico they are all shit and even worse as he has gotten older.

funkmasterp

Under Siege was actually alight but then he seemed to go and put on 100,000 pounds and started pulling the bad guys in to his gravity well

FIFY

jon1973
    Free Member

88 Minutes starring Al Pacino

I think Al Pacino has got to be one of the most overrated actors ever.

cubist
    Free Member

I got persuaded to take my young kids to the cinema to see the Moshi Monsters movie. That was awful on a level that I have not got words to describe.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just watched independence Day resurrection. Wow. Pretty bad. Not battleship bad but pretty close.

AlexSimon

I’ve only ever walked out of 2 films at the cinema.
    Blade Trinity
    Troy

And they were both on the same night!

DezB
    Free Member

Just watched independence Day resurrection. Wow. Pretty bad

A sequel to a crap film was crap? Surprises abound!

retro83
    Free Member

cubist

I got persuaded to take my young kids to the cinema to see the Moshi Monsters movie. That was awful on a level that I have not got words to describe.

A lot of kids films are dross, Gnomeo and Juliet was one of the worst though.

The people who make these movies seem to think that putting a bunch of famous people as voice actors is a good substitute for enjoyment.

AlexSimon

When I first read this thread I was thinking that I hadn’t been to watch many bad films because I tend to look at reviews first, but the ore I think about it, it’s probably because I’m blocking them out of my mind!

Some more shockers I’ve thought of:

Jaws 4: The revenge. Travel halfway across the world to avoid a shark, only to live on the coast! Really felt sorry for Michael Caine. Thankfully he found some better projects to work on soon after.

I once stumbled upon a version of The Pink Panther starring Steve Martin on tv one night. Unbelievably bad – I mean – why!?

richmtb

Its easy to make a shit film when you have a budget of $1.50

I find it hard to really condemn all the low budget dross that finds its way on to the Sci-Fi or Horror channel.

But proper studio films that end up rubbish despite the budget and “talent” involved are worth calling out.

The worst film I have ever sat through at the cinema was “Daylight” starring Sly Stallone, it was dreadful, but I laughed most of the way through it.

Then you get properly hyped stuff from name directors, someone mentioned Prometheus. Despite looking amazing, it really made no sense. Watching it was like letting Ridley Scott take a shit in your brain. So in a way it was worse then Daylight

martinhutch

Really felt sorry for Michael Caine.

Don’t. His quote about it:

“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Four pages in and i am still reeling that someone thought The Kill List was rubbish!

Its great – think again.

fasthaggis

I find it hard to really condemn all the low budget dross that finds its way on to the Sci-Fi or Horror channel.

But proper studio films that end up rubbish despite the budget and “talent” involved are worth calling out.

Yup,it’s mad.

After Earth

Rotten Tomatoes ->>> After Earth is a dull, ploddingly paced exercise in sentimental sci-fi — and the latest setback for director M. Night Shyamalan’s once-promising career.

….and still,it made a profit 🙁

willard

After Earth? Travolta as an alien and essentially stone age Earth natives learning how to fly Harriers after a couple of hours in a flight simulator? Yeah, that was pretty shit.

AlexSimon

“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

Yep, I’ve read that before. I guess I didn’t really mean I felt sorry for Michael Caine as much as felt sorry for myself watching Michael Caine do it 🙂

fasthaggis

After Earth? Travolta as an alien and essentially stone age Earth natives learning how to fly Harriers after a couple of hours in a flight simulator? Yeah, that was pretty shit.

willard,you are thinking of Battlefield Earth.

Thanks for the warning ,it looks a belter 🙂

martinhutch

After Earth was shite too, don’t worry.

funkmasterp

Prometheus. Despite looking amazing, it really made no sense. Watching it was like letting Ridley Scott take a shit in your brain.

That’s the best review of Prometheus I’ve ever read. My biggest annoyance with that travesty of a film is the fact that the fella they find in Alien is roughly four million times bigger than the one in Prometheus. At least watch the original film again Ridley FFS.

Alien Covenant is just as bad. Redeemed by the comedy gold of “You blow and I’ll do the fingering”

northernmatt

Cloverfield – premise of the film is okay if a little Godzilla but the fact that the monster changes size from scene to scene is just infuriating

Charlie’s Angels 2: Full Throttle – walked out after 15 minutes, utter bilge. Tried it again on Netflix recently, same result.

The Last Airbender – annoyingly not called Avatar because there was already a film called Avatar even though this is based on a cartoon called Avatar. Anyway, the cartoons were pretty good, characters were likable fairly good story. Movie is beyond shite, crap actors, storyline written by someone that has had the cartoon described to them 54th hand from someone else that’s never seen it. Just unbelievably bad.

Carbis

I offer up “Give my Regards to Broad Street”.
    Written by Paul McCartney,
    Soundtrack by Paul McCartney,
    Starring Paul McCartney and his mates.
    One of the worst examples of a vanity project.

nickc

That’s how Black Adder Goes Forth ended up being used to teach WW1 history.

Which is a shame, as it is, a terrible travesty of the actual history of WW1, but at least they play it for laughs, and don’t pretend it’s supposed to be accurate.  If we’re doing a list of over-rated films, than obviously The Shawshank Redemption leaps it’s way to the number one spot.

I don’t think I’ve ever walked out of a movie though. too cheap!

ElShalimo

Warcraft

Rubbish, rubbish , rubbish – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_(film)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Which is a shame, as it is, a terrible travesty of the actual history of WW1, but at least they play it for laughs, and don’t pretend it’s supposed to be accurate.

Right the way up to the final scene of the last episode when we see the probable death of people you’ve got to like.

nickc

@eddiebaby,well obvs that’s a feature of any war, but again, by late 1917 (when Blackadder ends) the BEF aren’t doing those sorts of “over the top walking/running at the enemy” sorts of attack, so it’s not even particularly accurate there either…But’s it’s probs for a different thread.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Probs. But certainly a moment in TV that pulled me up and made think WTF!? Maybe that sense of shock is what we are trying to reach people. I dunno! Don’t even know what parts if the series are being used in the syllabus.

funkmasterp

I watched Hubie Halloween the other night. Don’t judge me! I was bored, stressed out, couldn’t sleep and needed something to distract me. Even by Sandler standards it is atrocious. The man seems to think that playing an adult with a speech impediment and arrested development is the height of comedy. He’s wrong. I still find it difficult to dislike him though.

zilog6128

@funkmasterp I had to watch it as the GF is a massive Sandler fan for some reason. It’s absolute dog shit, really boring as basically nothing happens, plus the majority of the “jokes” revolve around his character with learning difficulties being bullied which is lazy and pretty offensive tbh. I actually wonder if he’s not involved in some kind of meta-joke just seeing how many shit films with the same character he can make 😀 It’s not like he’s got no talent – you’ve only got to watch Punch Drunk Love – but I guess this kind of film is very quick & cheap to make, pays well, plus probably quite fun just hanging out with largely the same group of mates messing around for the duration!

funkmasterp

That’s what he seems to do. Take holidays with his friends and make a film whilst doing so. He can clearly act as you say. Punch Drunk Love, Uncut Gems and Reign Over Me are all proof of that. He did threaten to make the worst film he could if he didn’t get a nomination for Uncut Gems 🤔

muddy@rseguy

“How it ends” available on Netflix, go on, I dare you, it basically just fizzles out after 2 hours of various “serious” things happening and people doing stuff and not a lot of sense being made but then more things happening…really should be retitled “Why did they bother? for that matter , Why did I bother?”

Im right there with anyone who mentioned “Highlander 2”, a film that with the epic line: Christopher Lambert: “What is it? Magic?”
    Sean Connery:”A kind of…”

And thus jumps the shark so high it goes nearly into orbit.

Pretty much anything released under the Canon Golan/Gomez banner in the mid “80’s…

The 1989 Tim Burton Batman movie (and its sequels). Just, Plain. Terrible.

However,”Plan 9 from outer Space”, widely described as the worst movie ever made is rather charming…but its still pretty bad.

joat

Without a paddle. I accused our close group of friends of being easily pleased after they actually laughed at the telegraphed puerile dross masquerading as comedy.

Cougar

Highlander 2 was a troubled film and this is a complex answer,

I’m expecting revelations about the goats…

Seriously, troubled or not the end product was pish.

Sorry, I forgot about this. I’ve posted about this before and was going to link back to an old post till I realised it was about eight years ago!

Basically, anything that could go wrong with production did. Front and centre was the country they were filming in – Argentina – essentially went bust, their economy collapsed.

Maybe relating to that, I’m not sure, the film went over-budget to a degree where insurers had to step in. So the production company were under huge pressure to just release something in order to recoup costs. Director (of both Highlander and H2) Russell Mulcahy’s creative control went out of the window and it was the studio calling the shots. Apocryphally perhaps, Mulcahy walked out of the premiere 15 minutes into the showing and the only reason Lambert didn’t bin it halfway through filming was because he’d be in breach of contract. The result is an utter car crash of a film. It was even worse here, the gorgonzola ending of the UK theatrical release where Connor and, erm, Mrs Connor get beamed up to Zeist was an ‘alternate ending’ and was considered lost for years.

Mulcahy hated it so much that a couple of years later he tried to fix it and made a director’s cut essentially from the cutting room floor. This is the ‘Renegade Edition’ and whilst still not a great movie it’s exponentially better than the original. Notably it shitcans all the ‘aliens’ twaddle and fixes a bunch of continuity issues (there was one fight scene originally stitched together from two entirely different scenes that was a hot mess, I can’t remember what else now).

It was revisited again years later and a Special Edition was created. I don’t know much about this as I’ve not seen it but I believe it’s basically Mulcahy’s Renegade Edition with some reshot CGI and minor tweaks. I might see if I can track it down somewhere, I’m at a loose end tonight.

But yeah, as I wrote eight years ago:

the theatrical release of Highlander 2 is right up there on my “crushing disappointments in cinema” list, just above Escape From LA.

No idea about the goats though. Sorry.

MoreCashThanDash

Gnomeo and Juliet was one of the worst though.

Maybe it’s my childish sense of humour but I love that film. Sorry.

Agree about Adam Sandler films, with the exception of Grown Ups – maybe it just struck a slushy sentimental chord note as we were at that kind of 30 something with kids stage, maybe it was cos I have a real thing for Salma Hayek

ali69er
    Free Member

The golden compass. Awful and pointless. However, I really never did understand the hype behind fight club. Just thought it was very average.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 529 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.