Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Worst car you've ever driven in snow?
  • Woody
    Free Member

I’ll nominate my Saab 9-5 estate auto.

Only had it a couple of weeks and last night getting home from work was one of the worst driving experiences I’ve ever had. Tyres are decent mid range with 6mm + of tread. In fairness, I had to make a detour after ‘just’ managing to stop at the top of a steep hill and seeing the car in front slide 50 yards down the hill into a wall, so it was very slippy but the slightest incline up or down was a nightmare. I even had it in winter mode and tried every gear combo from drive to 1 😯

xcgb
    Free Member

The missus’s MG F

trail_rat
    Free Member

hyundai lantra.

dad speced 15 inch wide low profile wheels and tires

most useless thing ever

scaredypants

2003 bmw 5 series auto

🙄

theflatboy
    Free Member

58 focus estate. totally useless, gave up on any sort of incline at all. the weight distribution seemed to pull all the weight and hence grip away from the front tyres, particularly if there was anything in it. great car apart from that!

samuri
    Free Member

A Z4. I say it was the worst car I’ve ever driven but we didn’t actually get anywhere in it. I managed to get it off the drive but that was it.

Second worst (I wasn’t driving) was one of those huge stupid Porsche Caayennenesss. It went forwards and everything but just skated around all over the place. It just felt terribly unsafe. That journey ended with us hitting a kerb and breaking something so we had to get the blokes wife to come and collect us in her TT which was totally glued to the floor. I was glad of this because I was the one who had to get in the back ‘seat’.

Hohum
    Free Member

My old 3 series BMW or my current 5 series BMW.

Great fun to drive when there isn’t any snow about though.

Woody
    Free Member

theflatboy – I’ve driven loads of those the with plenty weight in the back. I agree they are awful but compared to the Saab they are grippy !

fasthaggis

Old school Fiesta Xr2

TBF it was the low pro tyres 🙄

nickjb
    Free Member

A focus hire car. On a very slight hill the traction control kicked in and it would not move. Disabled the traction control and still no movement. Got out and pushed, which was fairly easy as it was virtually flat, hoping that once it was moving it would keep going but it was having none of it. Abandoned it. Got a lift from one of the many people who had no trouble on the road and picked it up the next day.

br
    Free Member

E39 535i auto.

Even with plenty of tread, couldn’t even move off the flat.

dashed
    Free Member

BMW 1 series probably the safest thing I’ve ever driven in the snow. Safe because it is impossible to move anywhere in one, so you’re never going to crash.

stufive
    Free Member

my pug expert van its hopeless its great with socks on though

Markie
    Free Member

I can remember a horrendous family trip up to some wild bits of Yorkshire in a old style mini. I think dad had it facing backwards about 20 times 😯

Of course, that also says something lots about his driving 😯

PiknMix
    Free Member

My Corolla Compressor, lethal in the wet downright suicidal in the snow. Great fun.

r300chris
    Free Member

Caterham 7 R300, to be honest it was a handfull in the wet let alone snow. My Octavia vRS is pretty good in the Snow though. 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

my subaru impreza with wide pirelli summer tyres, great traction but no way of stopping so totally terrifying, taking the anti lock fuse helps a bit but not a lot. Best snow car 1964 Austin 1275 mini cooper s.

scaredypants

Caterham 7 R300

😆

tomaso
    Free Member

This was useless in ALL driving conditions

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

anything light has been rubbish – VW Polo crap / Seat – crap. Audi A6 estate better . TVR 350 – interesting but not so bad for a rear wheel drive powerhouse . The current Porsche 911 is also good but it is a 4S. 😉

tinybits
    Free Member

My 08 A4 avant 2.0tdi s line with bloody great 18″ semi slick garden rollers on it. Utterly appalling. I was so glad that I hit a deer with it and had a seat Ibiza courtesy car when micro bits was born 2 winters ago! At one point it wouldn’t even pull away from the slight camber on the road I live on to get around parked cars….
    In fairness, with winter tyres it would probably have been ok, but I got rid after that winter.

hels
    Free Member

My Renault van was rubbish (in so many ways) but improved when I put some heavy stuff in the back over the back wheels.

By contrast my 4WD Suzuki with winter tires on the back was awesome last night driving home on rural roads at 0300 in about 6 inches of snow. Helped that I was the only car on the road tho, no numpties to navigate around.

tonyg2003

My eclass. 255 section rear tyres and 470lb/ft of torque. I just don’t bother even trying when it snows.

johnellison
    Free Member

Anything RWD without chains/socks.

Best was my old V70 auto, even with the nearly bald Potenzas…

trail_rat
    Free Member

you had a kangoo didnt you hels ?

they are belting in snow with winter tires on.

the only thing that stops them then is snow build up under the body lifting the wheels off the ground 😀

“Anything RWD without chains/socks.”

came to work in an RWD motor this morning without socks or chains on several untreated roads….

cupra
    Free Member

My 1987 Ford Granada Scorpio 2.0 litre auto, a bit like this one;

mrmoofo

Winter tyres helps everything – you can get a saab 9-3 through just about everything with those and snow chains.
    And then you don’t recognise what a useless car it normally is!

Old 3 series BMWs – they used to fisktail at the slightest sign of snow – and going up a gear made it worse …

birky
    Free Member

Of the cars I’ve owned, worst mk2 Focus, best mk1 Ka

RoterStern
    Free Member

We have a slight uphill slope near our house and the only cars that get stuck in the snow seem to be BMWs and that is in Germany with compulsory winter tyres. Having said that tyres do make a big difference. After getting our new car which is fitted with year round tyres I certainly notice how much more unpredictable the car is in snow when compared to the old car fitted with winter tyres.

Murray

Jaguar S-type 4.0 V8 Auto. The auto box was very slushy which didn’t help. Still made it home on all the backroads but I did spend 20 minutes taking run ups to a hump backed bridge until I got over it!

Seriously, modern summer (i.e. UK) tyres are rubbish. I’ve got pretty warn All Season tyres now and would far rather them then brand new standard tyres.

willard

Vauxhall Omega MV6.

Stacks of power, but all delivered through lovely wide tyres at the back of the car. It was so rubbish in the snow it would not even get up the gentle gravel slope of my drive to get onto the road.

Lovely car, just useless in snow.

5thElefant
    Free Member

5-series. It was comical.

missnotax
    Free Member

Lotus Elise. I drove it into work in all the snow a few years ago – it was an *interesting* drive 😆

timc
    Free Member

Current Car (3 Series) is terrible, luckily we dont get much snow in Liverpool

swavis

GF’s 54 plate Focus estate is pretty rubbish in the snow. I think the worst I’ve driven was my old Vectra, truly horrendous and very scary.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

ex had one of these – driving it in any weather was interesting

theflatboy
    Free Member

Woody – Member

theflatboy – I’ve driven loads of those the with plenty weight in the back. I agree they are awful but compared to the Saab they are grippy !

Jesus!

Tracey

Mazda MX5, only drove it once in the snow. Had it pointing in all directions.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“ex had one of these – driving it in any weather was interesting”

my colleagues rocking an orange ’86 plate just now….. he likes to hit the brakes as soon as it starts to slide and just spins off the road like a muppet – hedge seeking misile. more throttle , steer with the rear .

Drac

Worst vehicle, Merc Sprinter with winter tyres it’s the only time I’ve ever got stuck and by far not the worst conditions I’ve driven in. Yeah winter tyres really are shite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Worst car you've ever driven in snow?’ is closed to new replies.