Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Worn out CX rims in 4 months. New bike, or frame & fork and swap over ?
  • I’ve worn out the back rim on my second hand CX bike in four months.
    I can build a new rim on to it, which should last the summer, but long term, I’m trying to decide whether to buy a new disc braked CX bike, there don’t seem to be many around second hand yet, or a new frame, forks, wheels, discs and calipers, and swap everything else over.

Buying a complete bike and selling mine as a complete bike is the easiest option.
    Any bargains about ?
    I’ve looked at Boardman, Merida and Planet X. Anything else outstanding I should consider ?

If I do go for the frame and fork option, can I use the same levers ?
    Are they the same pull for rim or disc brakes ?

faustus

Discs. I have a Pinnacle Arkose 3, frames are still available for £110, tapered fork choice is poor though.

Levers are fine, you just have to buy road specific calipers (for different lever pull), so you can’t just use a standard BB7, has to be BB7 Road.

vincienup
    Free Member

Giant TCX SLR2 seems very hard to beat under £1000.

Depends what you want really.

If you’re happy with braking performance but don’t want to keep wearing through rims, maybe stick a new rim on existing spokes and hub and wait for 2014 bargains or shiney new 2015 bikes in 4-6 months?

Thanks faustus, that’s what I needed to know.
    vincienup, it’s the abrasive sandstone round here that does the damage.
    I’m going to rebuild the wheels anyway, it’s not safe to ride as it is, and they should last at least another four months, hopefully a lot longer if it stays dry. I just thought I’d start looking now.

I’m looking at Rose as well, they allow a certain amount of custom build in the specification.

I paid £300 for a second hand Tricross, swapped the wired Cheng Shins for SB8s and converted it to tubeless, and it immediately became my favourite bike.
    Whatever I buy, it will probably become my most ridden bike, so I don’t mind spending more money for something good.

All I need to do now is learn about road/CX groupsets; what the difference is between 105, Tiagra, Red, Rival and so on, and why one is worth more than the other.

thomthumb
    Free Member

All I need to do now is learn about road/CX groupsets; what the difference is between 105, Tiagra, Red, Rival and so on, and why one is worth more than the other

Shimano (expensive to cheap)

Dura Ace
    Ultegra
    tiagra
    sora

Sram (expenive to cheap)
    Red
    force
    rival
    apex

Campag
    super record
    record
    chorus
    athena
    centaur
    veloce.

I wouldn’t be putting sram on a CX bike that’s going to get a lot of use. the shifters (most expensive part) are of questionable durability.

tiagra/ 105 mix is the best ‘bang for buck’ imo.

ahwiles
    Free Member

but don’t underestimate sora. It’s cheap, tough and reliable.

and the rear mech will happily accommodate a 30t cassette.

and the levers a more ‘enclosed’ than 105 (better for keeping filth out).

and etc.

faustus

I had a go on some new 105 levers with ultegra CX77 mechanical discs at the weekend, and they worked beautifully – highly recommended, and the 105 version of the calipers are cheaper and felt as good (tried those as well on another bike). As above, quite a bit of the mechanism on the 105 lever seems out in the open though…
    BTW: both bikes i tried with the different setups above were running 10 speed road shifters with 9 speed mtb rear mechs (XT and XTR) with big casssettes 11-34/36), both working brilliantly.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m eyeing up that Rose CX as it looks bloody great for the cash (stumbled across it the other night).
    Anyone want to buy a Giant Trance?? 😉

Thanks thomthumb, that’s a handy reference. I just need to know now whether, for my intended use, it’s worth paying more for something higher up on that list.

Looking at http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3100-2014//aid:692397 it’s got hydraulic brakes and electronic shifting.
    I like the sound of both of those, but with no experience myself, are they worth the money and durable and reliable enough for a cross bike ?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Can you still buy ceramic coated rims? I had some back in the day and whilst not ever lasting they were many times more durable than plain aluminium rims and braking was better too.

traildog
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the bike other than you have worn out a wheel? Presumably the wheel was already pretty worn out when you got the bike?

If you like the bike, then I’d just get a new rim as they should last for yonks, even with rim brakes. Nothing really that wrong with rim brakes and I prefer them than cable disks. Personally I would wait longer before swapping to disks.

thomthumb
    Free Member

probably worth mentioning brake pads. some pads (shimano) seem to pick up grit and kill rims quickly. better quality pads koolstop etc don’t seem to do this.

I like disco brakes pads – seem cheap and good…

MicArms

yo Graham. I got the boardman cx team last October when they came out, mainly as a disc’d winter commuter, but also taking in easy bridalways, and extended canal commutes.
    So my obs.. Iffy frame finishes.. There was a thread on this when they first came out. Second bike had cracked carbon forks.. On the drop outs..
    Cup and cone wheels.. It’s just me but I destroy cup and cone rear hubs just by looking at them, so now gave sealed bearing hubs.
    Bb is pf30…I am on the 3rd set of replacement bearings.
    Comes with 50t outer as standard..
    The sram double tap is argricultural in shifting when compared to the 105 on my road bike, but is easier to do in mid winter with thick gloves on.
    The stock saddle is a weapon of ass destruction, god knows how any one apart from sadists can get on with it.
    The brakes are bb5 and are not that great, just waiting on Dhl to deliver me some bb7 roads from high bike in Germany for 95quid.

So why did I buy it? I brought it when halfords were doing 10% discount and also managed to use a bcf discount as well so got it well cheap from the stock 900 quid price.

My mate has brought the Planet X carbon crosser for a grand, and truth be known, I should have waited and got that, 105, ht2 bb, bb7 etc etc.
    But in spite all of my above slagging, it is a fun bike and quite capable… Hey ho..

clubber
    Free Member

Discs. I have a Pinnacle Arkose 3, frames are still available for £110,

I have a tapered disc fork going spare.

And shortly Avid BB7 F+R calipers/rotors…

Drop me an email if you’re interested.

I’ll stick with what I’ve got for now. I’ll replace the rims as I can’t really ride it or sell it as it is.
    Part of the novelty of this bike for me, is the fun of getting so much use out of a bike that cost so little.
    Considering what I spent on my custom built titanium frame, Lefty fork and Rohloff hub, £300 for a second hand Tricross was a bargain.

I noticed there were quite a few disc braked cross bikes at Battle On The Beach, although I think they were all cable.
    I’ll keep riding mine for a while and keep looking out to see if other manufacturers start offering Di2 and hydraulic discs and if they prove popular and reliable, then maybe get that Rose bike or something similar.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Worn out CX rims in 4 months. New bike, or frame & fork and swap over ?’ is closed to new replies.