Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Worn hex screw
  • Caher

My 2.5 hex screw is worn insofar as I cannot turn it, even after lashings of WD-40. Anyone know what tool or method I can use to turn it? It’s the hinge on an outside french door.
    Thanks.

I’ve got some lifeline pro hex keys that have a part for removing rounded hex.

Halford have a kit that might help?

That or an impact driver might work?

sirromj
    Free Member

Is there room to use screw removal/extraction/gripping pliers on the head?

Caher

Perfect thanks.

kilo

If all else fails. Cut a slot in it with a dremel use a big screwdriver. Or move house.

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most De...
    Singletrack Video Archive: Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150
    stumpy01

Isn’t the standard answer to try & find the nearest Torx driver & bash it in? It should give you more purchase than the worn hex.

piemonster

Ive had some success drilling screws out, then gluing a dowel in for a replacement screw to bite into.

Probably a way down the list of options to try.

The other ootion I have is damaged screw extractor bit, basically bits that drill in the wrong direction, they usually bite after a while and oit come the screw. Pretty sure the smallest bit I have is for 2mm screws.

timba
    Free Member

Cut the end off the worn allen key. Now new and unworn 🙂

Caher

I decided to move house, country’s going down the drain anyway.

kingofhtefr
    Free Member

Hammer in a torx bit to the offending faster then undo. Worked for me on a thru-axle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.