Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Worn bearing seats: Hope hubs shell
  • happybiker
    Free Member

Is this a thing on Hope hubs, front wheel felt a bit rattly on a Pro2 Evo SP, I replaced 1 bearing with an Enduro bearing as that was all I had to hand. Fitted the wheel and it feels the same.

It came out very easily and went back in pretty easily, and the old bearings feel absolutely fine which is why I suspect the hub shell is worn.

I’ve ordered more another Enduro bearing but worried it won’t fix it, might have to put some bearing retaining compound in?

andybrad

yup pretty much.

nixie

Rattly how? How were you testing the rattle?

happybiker
    Free Member

If I tap the side of the tyre I can hear it, or move the rim side to side. Pull the front brake and it stops. I don’t notice it when riding.

Fitted my other Hope wheel and it goes away…

nixie

Sounds like you’ve ruled most other things out with the wheel swap. What happens if you swap the adaptors from non-rattly to rattly wheel?

happybiker
    Free Member

I had thought of that, will try that next.

nixie

Its not something stupid like the disc rotor is loose or the rivets on a floating rotor are loose/warn? Both of those could rattle when tapping the tyre but stop when the brake was applied.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ll get away with using some loctite between outer bearing diameter and bearing seat, it’s a fairly common repair in industry to eek a bit more life from equipment.

My SB66 had to have the switch bearings bonded in from early on, Yeti recommended that I do that.

happybiker
    Free Member

No it’s a solid rotor, will try loctite tomorrow. Weirdly I have 2 old bearings I found in my stash which must be from the last change and they still feel new so I probably changed them for nothing last time…

happybiker
    Free Member

Fixed! Put some Loctite 601 on the bearings and it seems fine. Good thing because it’s on a bike I’ve just listed on eBay, I was frantically searching for a replacement Hope SP hub and you pretty much can’t get them… That’s a good enough reason not to buy SP hubs in the future.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Worn bearing seats: Hope hubs shell’ is closed to new replies.