Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • World War Z – Going cheap in Tesco on DVD.
  • botanybay
    Free Member

World War Z was turd.

28 Weeks Later is a better film than 28 Days Later. Nowt happens in the first one, it’s boring as hell.

gogg
    Free Member

Nothing would have happened in 28 weeks later if they hadn’t put the yanks in charge.

cheers_drive

I watched WWZ last weekend. It was OK but lost interest when the Zionist nonsense started.

miketually
    Free Member

the idea of the fast zombies is good

Zombies aren’t fast!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Saw I Am Legend at the cinema – me and mrs nipper nearly had to leave at one point.

gogg
    Free Member

28 Weeks Later is a better film than 28 Days Later. Nowt happens in the first one, it’s boring as hell.

The difference was almost as stark as the difference between Alien & Aliens. 28 days being a slower, cleverer film showing us how society breaks down and how those with power (guns) might respond in the breakdown.

gogg
    Free Member

I am legend is Vampires…

loddrik
    Free Member

Zombies aren’t fast!

Any academic literature to confirm this?

johndoh
    Free Member

I enjoyed it. Cartoon HD has it for free. Apparently.

chris85
    Free Member

I suppose people have different tastes in films ….I found world war z very good..

miketually
    Free Member

Zombies aren’t fast!

Any academic literature to confirm this?[/quote]

“You cannot kill a vampire with an MDF stake; werewolves can’t fly; zombies do not run. It’s a misconception, a bastardisation that diminishes a classic movie monster. The best phantasmagoria uses reality to render the inconceivable conceivable. The speedy zombie seems implausible to me, even within the fantastic realm it inhabits. A biological agent, I’ll buy. Some sort of super-virus? Sure, why not. But death? Death is a disability, not a superpower. It’s hard to run with a cold, let alone the most debilitating malady of them all.”

Pegg, (2008) emphasis mine

😉

gogg
    Free Member

loddrik

Any academic literature to confirm this?

Article in the Wall Street Journal about the study of the undead

mikewsmith
    Free Member

These threads are great as they allow for opinion calibration, there are several who I wouldn’t take a film recommendation from, this needs some kind of reference table.

Alien better than Aliens unless you like “Hey look at the size of my gun”
    28 Days better than 28 weeks one was original, clever and surprising the other was pop the same idea back in the blender and pour it back out.

My general rule of thumb is to see if the original director of something I liked came back for part 2. Nobody came back for the last Bourne film…

miketually
    Free Member

My general rule of thumb is to see if the original director of something I liked came back for part 2. Nobody came back for the last Bourne film…

Is the Matrix Trilogy the exception that proves the rule?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

quite probably, as with anything you have to try some things to see if it’s any good.

clubber
    Free Member

I thought it was OK – not something I’d have wanted to fork out for in the cinema but a couple of hours of reasonable entertainment at home.

I am surprised that no one’s mentioned the missing scenes in Russia and reason for the film ending the way it did

SPOILER ALERT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z_(film)

In May 2012, production returned to Budapest for seven weeks of additional shooting.[54] The following month, screenwriter Damon Lindelof was hired to rewrite the film’s third act with reshoots scheduled to begin in September or October 2012.[55] However Lindelof, who also reworked Prometheus and co-wrote Star Trek Into Darkness, did not have time to script the new ending and in July 2012, Paramount hired Lindelof’s Lost partner, Drew Goddard.[56] Lindelof explained there were inefficiencies in the script in relation to the shooting, which started before the script was finalized thus making the ending “abrupt and incoherent” and was missing a large chunk of footage. Lindelof presented two options to executives, who ultimately chose to shoot 30 to 40 minutes of additional footage to make a coherent ending. The re-shoots coupled with other overages caused the budget to balloon to around $190 million, which shocked Paramount president Marc Evans.[2][3][57] Several of the scenes shot in Budapest, including a large-scale battle with the zombies in Moscow’s Red Square,[58] were dropped from the final cut in order to water down the film’s political undertones, and steer it towards a more generally friendly summer blockbuster.[59] The climactic battle scene in Russia, for which there was 12 minutes of footage, had Pitt’s character fighting through zombies more like “a warrior hero” than “the sympathetic family man” of the earlier acts. The second-unit director, Simon Crane, said, “It wasn’t character-driven anymore… [The filmmakers] really needed to think about what they wanted to do with the third act.”[50] Additional scenes were also filmed at the Pfizer building at Discovery Park in Sandwich, Kent for scenes where Gerry tries to find a cure for the zombie pandemic.[60]

gogg
    Free Member

Is the Matrix Trilogy the exception that proves the rule?

Yes, but it was a completely greed driven anomaly. I didn’t rate the first one that highly, it was OK, but not the “game changer” that everyone else made it out to be.

I saw shades of Terminator all through the plot, but using “reality” as the vehicle rather than “time travel”. Terminator on acid I think was how I described it as we left the cinema.

Reeves was nearly as wooden in that as the remake of the Day the Earth Stood Still, a film which suited his acting style perfectly. The only other film I could see him beimg perfect for would be Pinnochio.

grum
    Free Member

Good moments but they made Brad Pitt ridiculously heroic and the ending was awful. The book is indeed much better.

Oh, and 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later are both great IMO.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Movie was enjoyable enough, but didn’t bear much resemblance to the book.

To be fair, my first thought on reading the book was “how the $%£* are the going to film THAT?”

funkrodent

A whole thread about Zombie movies and nobody has mentioned Shaun of the Dead? Given that’s it’s a gore packed, comedy, action horror, does it count?

No matter, it’s certainly the best (only) Zombie movie that I’ve seen. Though given the Zombirati’s general hatred of World War Z I’m now seriously reconsidering my prior decision to give it a very wide berth 😉

miketually
    Free Member

A whole thread about Zombie movies and nobody has mentioned Shaun of the Dead? Given that’s it’s a gore packed, comedy, action horror, does it count?

No matter, it’s certainly the best (only) Zombie movie that I’ve seen. Though given the Zombirati’s general hatred of World War Z I’m now seriously reconsidering my prior decision to give it a very wide berth

Dead Set is a very good zombie ‘movie’ not mentioned yet, too. (Though, technically, not a movie.) Despite the fast zombies.

sandwicheater

Is it/was it to be part of a trilogy?

Jake25

Just it re-enforce the points others have made. Here is a quick reference I have linked from The Oatmeal as to how the film and book compare. 🙂

The book is great.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘World War Z – Going cheap in Tesco on DVD.’ is closed to new replies.