Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • World War Z
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Went last night, it was entertaining but for me needed a bit more nastyness, you can see bits of the book in there but not much, 6 out of 10 from me.

JCL
    Free Member

One of the worst films I’ve ever seen. We were very close to walking out but at times it was bad enough to be funny.

toby1

It’s shy on bits of the book as apparently there will be a trilogy.

I thought it was good, up to the Pepsi moment.

prettygreenparrot

’there will be a trilogy’. oh. I was going to see it last weekend but in the end couldn’t muster up the enthusiasm after seeing ‘hummingbird’ (more of the same but with straight-to-DVD standards) and ‘the east’ (teen angst mediocrity).

wordnumb
    Free Member

Shows the effectiveness of film reviews, WWZ does. Every review I’ve read has said it’s not good and there isn’t enough zombie-ness. People are staggering like zombies to see it despite the film lacking brainz.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I did enjoy it, but it definitely lacked bite. Mind you, once they arrived in the lab in Wales it reminded me of Garth Marenghi’s Dark place and I did laugh rather a lot. It seemed very much like there was only £50 budget left for the final act, could have been so much better.

JCL
    Free Member

Lacked bite?

Yes and some of the worst acting, zero character development, comical plot, painful dialogue, crap CGI, totally void of suspense, etc.

It made 28 Days Later look like Laurence of Arabia.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Tremendous shame as the book is quite interesting. It didn’t lend itself in any way to being made into this sort of a film. It would have made a much better “district 9” style mock doc..

mrlebowski
    Free Member

That bad? Really?

I may well be giving this a wide berth, a shame as I was quite looking forward to seeing it..

ska-49
    Free Member

Well, I enjoyed it..
    Never read the book mind.

piemonster

It’ll be on telly at some point, then I can watch in the same way as I watched Troy/The Day After Tomorrow/Godzilla and many other rubbish films that occupied a lazy evening on the sofa.

patriotpro
    Free Member

pigface, do you score it that way cos of it’s vague resemblance of the book’s story or is your rating as a standalone film?

Pigface
    Free Member

I found it entertaining, not brilliant but not awful. I would rate No Counrty for Old Men as 10/10 and Transformers 2 as 2/10

I was a bit disappointed with the book overall.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Not seen it but when I first saw the preview, I wished it to be good.

Will watch it as and when I reckon…

LenHankie

MrsHankie and I went to see it as we were offered babysitting at short notice and hadn’t been to the cinema in ages. It was the only thing on at that time and I was sceptical as I’d heard bad reviews.

…but we both loved it! I found the first 30 mins pretty terrifying and it managed to have just the right blend of suspense and gore. The panic spreading through crowds and fear of protecting one’s family was really well captured and a lot was suggested rather than shown, which is stronger in my opinion.

All in all, a more epic 28 Days Later, nicely done I thought. No cheesy love interest/sidekick or huge explosions which most Hollywood blockbusters resort to, which was refreshing.

I haven’t read the book so marking the film on it’s own merits. 8/10.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I am still looking forward to going to see this. I do like a cheesy blockbuster zombie film. But then I liked Day after tomorrow, 2012, and 28 days later. Jeez I even enjoyed 28 weeks later!

legend
    Free Member

That bad? Really?

No. It’s never going to be a classic but it was an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Want character development and a deep plot? Don’t go see a zombie movie.

Was nice to watch Glasgow and a British warship (well RFA) on the big screen, actually went for a drive through Philadelphia this morning 🙂

legend
    Free Member

You’re taking things too far! There’s only so many times you can jump a limo or take off from a crumbling runway 😉

johnhe

Never read the book, but loved the movie.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It was pretty crap, which was a shame.

I occasionally like a brain out action film, this was just rubbish though.

I need to read the book I think.

missnotax
    Free Member

I liked it. It was never going to be a complicated plot or oscar-worthy performances, but as a fun way to spend a few hours I would recommend it.

(I do really like disaster type films though, so i’m probably biased!)

pussywillow
    Free Member

Ignore all the film snobs it was a good film, go watch.

derek_starship
    Free Member

After the scenes in Jerusalem, the Cardiff lab based ending was a bit low rent / toss. Enjoyed the overall though.

I found the scene where the guy from Casualty slipped and shot himself dead macabrely amusing. Brad’s wife was annoying too.

legend
    Free Member

Any other key bits of the plot you’d like to give away to people that haven’t seen it?

stewartc
    Free Member

Thought it was harmless entertainment, bit strange watching a non-gory zombie flick though.

JCL
    Free Member

Christ no wonder films are shite these days if people enjoyed this.

With an audiences that easy to please nobody is going to make another Bladerunner. They’ll just keep farming out this tripe.

legend
    Free Member

people in differing opinions shocker!

derek_starship
    Free Member

legend – if you open a thread on a film, you will see specifics.

If in doubt – skip it until you’ve watched the fim under discussion.

N’est-ce pas?

legend
    Free Member

I’ve seen it, but there were several posts (which being STW you will have read before posting yourself 😉 ) from people who obviously haven’t

3dvgirl
    Free Member

Its links to the cult of scientology is reason alone never to watch it.

info on evils of scientoligy

jonahtonto
    Free Member

havent seen it yet but listened to the audiobook when i heard they were making it.
    that was totally mint.
    full cast so different voice for each ‘interview’. I got totally freaked out walking the dogs in the woods at night last winter. highly recommended and its free on audible at the mo

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Ouch.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I fancy a rewatch of Shaun of the Dead.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

I thought it was terrible, the story, the acting….just terrible! roll on another billion zombie movies…well its been vampire ones for the last few years..yawn! 🙁

v8ninety

well, I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the book too. Not quite sure what exactly people were expecting from a end of days/zombie/CGI Film…

chewkw
    Free Member

I am going to watch it two years later when it is free on telly … :mrgreen:

Also Hobbits & Star Trek … two years later …

timc
    Free Member

the grenade on the plane really pissed me off for some reason & the rest of the film was annoying after that

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

The WHO research facility bit at the end could have had 10-15 mins edited out of it and it was obvious that the money had running out, especially in comparison to the stunning Jerusalem scenes earlier in the film.

Nothing at all like the book though, it’s a shame really because the book would have been a great film. As previously mentioned, a District 9 style documentary approach would have been great. That’ll never happen now. I wonder why they even bothered buying the rights to the book at all.

Nice to see Dorset’s own Lulworth Cove doubling as Nova Scotia at the end though.

stewartc
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only one disappointed by the WHO facility at the end, not one picture of Keith Moon on the walls…

IGMC

unklehomered
    Free Member

That last section was a reshoot on studio orders which goes someway to explaining the disjointed feel. I’d like to know what the original ending was.

I think everyone is being really harsh to one of the most stunning, edgy, uncomfortable and disturbing Zombie films of our generation. 28 Days Later was absolutely awesome, stunning, epic and extremely well made.

This wasn’t, 0 characters, family was just redundant, and a chunky clumsy feel. That said I mostly enjoyed it, the tension right up to the plane crash was extremely good, the last bit was quite poor and flat. I wish they’d have the bravery to make something more closely based on the book. For those wondering why people were disappointed, The book is The Zombie Apocalypse book, like all great examples of the Zombie Genre, it’s about humanity, not the undead. Well, alright its a little bit about the undead, but all the great Zombie films/books, are about the fallibility of the human condition, and the undead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘World War Z’ is closed to new replies.