Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • World has moved on 🤔 – what mtb spd shoe for road/gravel/commuting?
  • kimura54321

Hi,

Back road/gravel cycling again due to covid and will be commuting later on in the year. I need to replace my old Shimano XC50, done a sterling job over the past 8 ish years handling all the bits from daily summer commuting to 120 mile epic road rides.

Slightly dazzled by just how many choices there are available now… I have size 9 UK wide feet, use SPDs, have about £100 to spend and need them to be as rigid as possible.

Any starter for 10 recommendations for mtb shoes that work well for road?

Ta.

onewheelgood

A bit over your budget, but I also have size 9 wide feet and I bought Shimano XC7s for road/gravel use. They list at £175 but I paid £125.

kimura54321

Thanks, they look good and like there are some OK offers with a bit of web trawling.

Did you find them true to size?

I got a 44 last time so 9 on the Madison chart.
    https://www.madison.co.uk/shoesize

onewheelgood

Just been to check – mine are 44 and they’re fine size-wise. They’re pretty comfortable for race shoes and plenty stiff – my old SPD shoes, Shimano M162s, feel like slippers in comparison.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Das Boots at PX for £69 were given a decent reception, great for winter months, but how they would fair over the summer.

kimura54321

Thanks for the sizing feedback.

@n0b0dy – Hadn’t thought of them. I do have a pair of XC50N Nordic ones which need replacing (multiple strap splits sewn shut) for winter so they look worth a punt!

The other Planetx ones seem better suited for summer, hard call though as I’ve had mixed experiences with them shall we say. Is it still a bit like flipping a coin when ordering or has it gotten better? 😂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘World has moved on 🤔 – what mtb spd shoe for road/gravel/commuting?’ is closed to new replies.