Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • World changing ideas you’ve had and done nothing with…
  • Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

I had this idea see, while I was filling up with diesel.

Now, I’ve never done it, but many folk have put the wrong fuel into their cars before, normally when driving an unfamiliar one or something.

Most garages have ANPR right, so why not link it to the pumps? The ANPR scans your reg, checks what the vehicle is on the tinterweb, then prevents you from using the incorrect fuel.

I could make millions with this I reckon. Well, if I hadn’t put the idea on here, and if cars weren’t all heading electric.

What World changing ideas have you had that you can’t be arsed to do anything with?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Only cars that are curently shown as taxed, insured and mot’d when scanned by ANPR can have fuel delivered to them.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

The microwave freezer. Been mulling on it for decades then it turns out earlier this year some smart arse decided it was his idea

https://news.of.today/ces-2020-juno-reverse-microwave-oven-cools-drinks-in-seconds

Subscriber

On a random and changing configuration.. 1 in 1000 Gatzo cameras to be armed with a laser guided missile

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Surely it’d be way simpler to simply have different shaped nozzles and receivers – petrol pump only fits petrol car, diesel pump only fits diesel car etc?

My idea – GPS speed limiter.  Car knows what the limit is and will only allow a small percentage over the limit – can be overidden but all data is logged in a black box recorder and can be used as evidence in the event of an accident.  Been done already I imagine 🙂

Subscriber

Surely it’d be way simpler to simply have different shaped nozzles and receivers – petrol pump only fits petrol car, diesel pump only fits diesel car etc?

We already do – petrol nozzles are smaller than diesel ones so, with more modern cars at least you can’t get diesel into a petrol – but the bigger risk of damage is putting petrol in a diesel so its a bit arse about tit.

stevextc

Story of my life …. someone always talked me out of it.
    I had one idea for creating scan-able codes that could be placed on adverts and magazines before smartphones ever existed.

At the time I was flying and didn’t want to either rip out a page of the in-flight mag or take the whole magazine. One of my mates worked in product development in Nokia at the time so I’d approached him but Nokia thought there was no market!

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

We already do

Well, we clearly don’t if you can put the nozzle for one fuel type into a car not designed for that fuel 🙂

Subscriber

0 x 13 drive chains – not only eliminating the front mech but the front chain ring and the chain as well. I haven’t entirely worked out the mechanics of it yet but I’m sure technology will catch up with the idea.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

We already do – petrol nozzles are smaller than diesel ones so, with more modern cars at least you can’t get diesel into a petrol – but the bigger risk of damage is putting petrol in a diesel so its a bit arse about tit.

Ford have already fixed this.

Their diesel filler caps are gated with an expanding ring around the inlet. A diesel nozzle dilates the ring which unlocks the flap, the smaller petrol nozzle doesn’t and so it can’t be inserted.
    There’s a funnel in the boot to override the mechanism if you’re somewhere with non-standard sized nozzles.

(Meanwhile, Finbarr Saunders just exploded.)

Forced mixed race marriages – eliminate racism in a single generation.

Never did anything about it though

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Oh, and the reason it’s “arse about tit” is because the smaller petrol nozzle came about with unleaded petrol, to stop you putting four star into something with a cat. Before that petrol and diesel were the same size.

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

I could make millions with this I reckon. Well, if I hadn’t put the idea on here, and if cars weren’t all heading electric.

You’ll need to invent a replacement for capatalism first, or make a law that garages have to provide this service.

If a person misfuels their car the garage still gets your money for the fuel, perhaps even 2 lots of fuel as you’ll need more fuel to replace the dumped fuel. If you misfuel and breakdown on the garage forecourt you’ll probably end up buying a bottle of juice and a twix while you wait. If you haven’t got it on your breakdown cover you’ll probably pick up a card from the garage for a misfueling recovery service, who pay to have their cards in garage. Investing in this technology isn’t going to be high on a garage owners list.

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

After being another car nearly get wacked as it pulled round a car the appeared to have it’s indicator on, It could only see one side of the car (it actually had it’s hazards on and wasn’t going anywhere)

I came up with the idea that Hazards should flash at a different rate (maybe a double blink gap, double blink) to distinguish it from an indicator.

They only blink at the same rate due to legacy relay issues prior to more advanced electricickery

Subscriber

Forced mixed marriage races.

Like the 4×400 relay but to compete the teams all need to have become betrothed to one another.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Only cars that are curently shown as taxed, insured and mot’d when scanned by ANPR can have fuel delivered to them.

First thought, that’s a brilliant idea, it’d stop those shits with ratbikes and quads on council estates too.

Second thought, if you run out of fuel and turn up with a petrol can you’re screwed. Maybe a driving licence scanner would work?

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

A remote control “bipper” for your house door. Same as your car.

Subscriber

I’ve tried to bip my front door more than once already.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

You can already get electronic locks for your house

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Back in like the early 90s, when I was picking car door locks open (for folk who’d locked their keys in, not nefarious purposes) I thought “wouldn’t it be a lot more secure, and convenient, if we did away with keys and had some sort of remote control to activate a motor instead?” I could have been rich I tell you, rich!

ERG variable power gearing for riding outdoors.

Dark chocolate Tunnocks Teacakes

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

I’m not sure I’m entirely comfortable with the government having the power to block every individual sale of fuel. It sounds like exactly the sort of the thing the CCP would do.

They already require license checks for filling up motorbikes, quads and petrol cans at all the petrol stations around where I live. It was a voluntary scheme brought in to stop scrotes filling up their bikes.

fasthaggis

Smart freezers that scan your food on the way in then sends alerts when they are reaching the use by date, suggest recipes and update when items are removed. I am sure this can all be done now, although getting a code for a severed head may still be a bit tricky.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Dark chocolate Tunnocks Teacakes

They exist and are tasty.

Subscriber

And we’ve been hiding them from PP.

Now you’ve gone and let the cat out of (or rather into) the bag

They exist because I called them into being in my imagination and asked a senior manager at Tunnocks why they didn’t make them.

“No one’s thought of it before” was the answer

You’re welcome, world.

Subscriber

I’ve said it before here but..

Three taps in the kitchen. One for cold water, one from hot water, and one for humous. Like a savoury Mr Whippy.

This is dependant of course on Romona’s Kitchen becoming a nationalised utility.

Subscriber

You’re welcome, world

*dismantles temporary shrine to PP and replaces it with permanent one*

Premier Icon stumpy01
    Subscriber

Ha! Here’s one that my mates always rib me for, but nevermind. Not exactly world changing, but could have made me a few bob….

On my uni work placement (1996) I worked in a large food production factory & was tasked with a project to improve the drying of cans when they come out of the large cooker device (hydrostat). Sounds boring, but water on the can has serious implications for the coding & marking of the can & bacteria being drawing into the can as it cools.
    Anyway – we used an air knife system which was really effective & got me thinking about the really crap hand dryers in most public/work loos and how great it would be to use an air knife system to dry hands.

I kept meaning to buy some bits, butcher an old hand dryer & hook it up to some air knives to trial.
    But, being the natural procrastinator that I am and over-thinking problems it was always one of those things “I’ll do at some point”.

I opened a newspaper at work one day – I think it was around April 2004 and saw a massive article about Dyson & how he was working to revolutionise the hand dryer market with a new device that used an air curtain (perhaps knife wasn’t a great marketing term) to dry hands. GAH!!!
    My dreams of becoming a hand dryer magnate lay in tatters….

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

0 x 13 drive chains – not only eliminating the front mech but the front chain ring and the chain as well. I haven’t entirely worked out the mechanics of it yet but I’m sure technology will catch up with the idea

Bit like a childs trike, pedals on the front wheel with a 13x hub-gear. Long, low, slack geometry would be challenging, so probably mainly applicable to road and XC MTB’s. 😁

Anyway, my idea, (that’s not been done yet) is to group all the downhill KoM segments in common rides, (a trail centre would work perfectly) into a single cumulative time. An app based Enduro race, or Stravnduro as it would be called.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Dyson & how he was working to revolutionise the hand dryer market with a new device that used an air curtain (perhaps knife wasn’t a great marketing term) to dry hands. GAH!!!

Oh, I’ve been doing it wrong! I thought they were a revolutionary new type of water free urinal. No wonder other toilet users complain about piss being blown all over the bog. Generally mounted a bit high up too.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

The first time I saw one of those airblade dryer things I thought “my god, they’ve thought of everything in here, what a time to be alive!” Then I realised it was, in fact, for your hands.

Premier Icon gregburnham
    Subscriber

Was thinking the other day on a ride, wouldn’t it be great to be able to hire action cams, like insta 360s etc for a day via interweb and home delivery etc, send them back (like the old lovefilm dvd rental) via the collect plus / amazon web locker-y type thing….

Aslo – fondle, fondue in candle form… light the wick, wait for the goo then get your dip on.

Also also, cheesewipe. Little tin of cheesecake-esque topping you can keep in your bag and wipe it on a digestive biscuit for instant cheesecake on the go.

johndoh

As a child I thought of hydraulic cutters for the fire service. A few years later I was watching Tomorrow’s World and there was a piece about them.

As an adult I thought of a supermarket price aggregator website. I even got so far as starting work on it, bought the domain, started to discuss with a developer colleague, designed a logo etc. Then my dad shouted me downstairs as he was watching a piece in BBC Breakfast news about the launch of the exact same thing.

Smart freezers that scan your food on the way in then sends alerts when they are reaching the use by date

the problem with this is, barcodes don’t contain use by dates.

hols2

When I first started mountain biking, I vaguely wondered why nobody made seatposts with a spring and a remotely operated clamp so you could adjust them on the fly with a handlebar mounted lever. I figured there probably wasn’t a market for it…

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

The warm tap. Current taps either burn you in seconds or only reach tepid temperature. The warm tap is the sensible middle ground and needs to exist.

Premier Icon rone
    Subscriber

An umbrella whirly gig. Someone put it to market.

Wind scoops/turbine at the side of the road. Mini turbines that harnass the draft from a car into leccy: No idea if it would work. Works in my head.

Subscriber

A sat nav with an accent that is always local

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.