Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • World Book Day _ Dressing Up
  • Longarmedmonkey

Please Help
    I am a secondary school teacher and need to dress up for world book day. I want to avoid Harry Potter as everyone does this. Any ideas? I ride to work so want to maximise comedy value by turning up on my bike dressed as…….

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d go for the “royal” option…

Mein Kampf?

MrNutt
    Free Member

that said, Ghandi is a much cheaper option!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    votchy
    Free Member

The Joker

loris
    Free Member

Just been through the outfit for my 10 year old, right PITA TBH, ended up buying some “army” type stuff, and he’s going as Alex Rider from Stormbreaker, complete with toy M16.
    What has amused me and I will look forward to seeing them, a couple of the boys from his class are going as Captain Underpants, could be an idea for you?

paul4stones

We’ve got a ‘sea creatures’ theme. Just working on a kryll suit. And some seaweed for Neptune.

theotherjonv

I ride to work so want to maximise comedy value by turning up on my bike dressed as

Marco Pantani

I’ve read his bigraphy, so that’s the book done. Shave your head, get an ear-ring and a bandana, don a suitably garish pink skinsuit. And throw a load of talcum powder down the front for effect.

pjt201
    Free Member

when i was at primary school we had world book day dressing up. I went as the invisible man – wore my mums mac and covered my head in bandages. got on the front page of the local free paper too… this was about 20 years ago mind.

Longarmedmonkey

Great ideas and not a Wizard in sight. Just thinking, maybe i should not get changed all day and say I’m Lance. Then the French staff can try and call me a cheat all day.

miketually
    Free Member

My daughter’s going as Angelina Ballerina.

IdleJon

My daughter’s class has been asked to dress up as charactes from Shrek……..the film?

Longarmedmonkey

It seems to be chicken and egg. In order to take part in World book day you actually have to have read a book. Sadly 20% to children today have never even had a bedtime story. Although in this case it seems that the teacher needs to read a book. Opps just turned what I intended to be a light hearted thread into a rant. Sorry.

paul4stones

Lance has written a couple of books. Great literature!

Drac

. I went as the invisible man

I went to school several times as the invisible man but they didn’t believe me and said I was truant.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

My Girlfriend is the literacy co-ordinator at a primary school and is responsible for deciding what they’re all dressing up as this year. As a bit of a comic relief tie-in, they’re all going as comic book characters. I suggested she go as Mystique from X-Men but she didn’t think it would be appropriate.

watly_biker
    Free Member

Last year I told my daughter to say Snow White was her favourite book if asked as we had an outfit ready!
    This year her favourite book is about animals so she;s taking a pair on binoculars!
    What about going as Gandalf from lord of the rings – similar outfit to Gandhi just add a pointy hat and big stick ?

donald
    Free Member

I am utterly bewildered by this thread.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what these people are talking about?

watly_biker
    Free Member

donald – it’s world book day this week which is a big thing in schools. At my daughter’s primary school children and teachers have to come in on friday dressed as a character from their favourite book.

Drac

Last year I told my daughter to say Snow White was her favourite book if asked as we had an outfit ready!

Exactly the reason why my daughter is going as snow white than and she loves Snow White.

miketually
    Free Member

Mine went as Cinerella last year 🙂

As we already have a ballet outfit, it’s not a huge leap to make an Angellina Ballerina outfit 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I remember when my son’s school did it. He went as Captain Scarlet because he liked those books. Every other single child turned up dressed as harry potter.

THERE WERE GOOD CHIDRENS BOOKS AROUND BEFORE THOSE ONES CAME ALONG YOU KNOW!!! SOME OF THEM ARE ACTUALLY A LOT BETTER THAN THE HARRY POTTER STORIES!!!

But it gets the children reading. Yeah and so does giving them books other than harry potter and reading them with your chidren instead of giving them an xbox controller and leaving them to it.

Machine gun them (the parents, not the children obviously – Children make useful foot soldiers for my army of scorn).

miketually
    Free Member

But it gets the children reading. Yeah and so does giving them books other than harry potter and reading them with your chidren instead of giving them an xbox controller and leaving them to it.

If a kid’s not already enjoying books and ready by the time they’re old enough for Harry potter, they’re unlikely to be big readers anyway.

My eldest absolutely loves reading. She’s getting through reading books at school quicker than they can give them to her and read most of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to herself before Christmas. We’d not realised that she was reading that to herself, but the bookmark would be further on than we’d left it the previous night after reading it to her and she could tell us exactly what happened in the interim chapter.

She sometimes scares me with what she comes out with. She figured out negative numbers on her own (we found 3 – 8 = -5 on the fridge door magnets)! She’s five-and-a-half!

samuri
    Free Member

That’s quite impressive Mike. I think it was a couple of years on from that before my son was reading James and the giant peach by himself. I would leave some quadratic equations lying around if I were you, see if she can solve them.

They think they know it all at that age. 😉

donald
    Free Member

Blimey I’m getting old.

When did all this start then?

Cooroo
    Free Member

I’ve read to my daughter from age about zero and we’re still at it. She’s 12. She didn’t really take to reading to herself until quite recently. So miketually, don’t write kids off too soon. It does sometimes take a book, or series, to get them excited enough to get going – for her it was the Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence. Now she’s read The Hobbit, 2 Skulduggery Pleasants, Alex Ryder and other stuff. But it can take a while.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘World Book Day _ Dressing Up’ is closed to new replies.