Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • World beating flat pedals?
  • theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I had a set of cheap flats which were fine, but with the modern trend of lower bottom brackets I found myself bashing them on rocks a lot which gets old real fast.

Back in the day(tm) I had a pair of the red aluminium Shimano DX SPD pedals and they were totally bullet proof.. 10years or more use I must have had from them- they’re still hanging on a peg in the shed.. anyway, I figured I’d give Shimano another go and tried the Saint pedals.
    Initial thoughts were positive; good looking pedal, grippy enough, wide enough platform to get a comfortable foot position, not too thick. But they didn’t last, both pedals developed play in the axles that I was not able to adjust out- got a warranty replacement set which I’m running now. Friend had a similar experience with his. Dissapointing from the big S.

All of which means I’m still on the hunt for the ‘perfect flat pedal’.

In my mind the perfect pedal needs to balance cost(Low), weight(low), platform width(Wide enough, but not too wide to avoid rock strikes), thickness(thin=best), grippy enough and of course looks. It should also be simple enough to rebuild when it does wear.

What are people using? The hope pedals look great but are imo a bit thick and pricey, the superstar stuff is well priced, looks grippy but not sure about longevity? I’ve heard straightline are good- but which pedal to go for? DMR vaults are great but too wide imo which takes away from their thinness in terms of ground-pedal interface.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

exotic flat pedal

carbon cycles

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got Exotic Nano ones just now. They work fine; can’t think of much wrong with them. Still kind of excited about the new Burgtecs though: thinner, lighter, cheaper (all of which isn’t really that hard compared to the old ones, but still… ).

Speeder

I like my Point1s but can’t comment on their longevity as I haven’t ridden enough since I’ve had them to have tested it.

Spank and Hope both look good and if I didn’t have these I’d be very tempted by the latter, if only for buying British and the backup Hope give.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m not sure you’re going to cure your pedal strike issue with a different set of pedals. Maybe that combined with shorter cranks would do the trick (I’ve moved to 165mm cranks in the past and this has helped) but otherwise you’re asking a lot.

I’ve been running Nukeproof for a while, which are effectively the same as the Superstar pedals. They are OK, they last about two seasons but they aren’t the best platform out there.

I also have a set of Burgtecs, the latest Penthouse model. They are fantastic in terms of platform and longevity but they are a tad heavy (same as the Saints) and still relatively chunky.

Point One racing are light, provide a great platform and super thin but they don’t have longevity on their side. I destroyed a set in one season. They developed lots of play and when I opened them up, dust fell out! The three tiny bearings at the end of the spindle were anhilated. I had to look up the instructions online before I believed they were built with bearings not bushings.

The Syntace Titan looks amazing; light, thin, looks like a great platform (you can actually buy different sizes) but just try to ignore the price because they are right up there with other stratospherically priced pedals.

A mate has had the Hopes and now has the new AMP pedal with a Ti axle. No idea of longevity (I am skeptical because the axle is so short and it doesn’t look well sealed) but they look like a good platform. Again, very expensive.

The pedal you’re looking for doesn’t exist and in some ways I wonder whether pedals can be light and expensive or cheap and durable but not light and durable no matter how much they cost.

Northwind

I’m very happy with my assorted Nanos, maybe there’s better but not without spending a stack.

Was quite excited about the HT AE01- very thin, pretty light, but all steel/alu so shouldn’t be delicate- but the bearing design is dismal 🙁 All hinges on an unsealed, tiny, almost unservicable bearing on the end of the axle.

FWIW they’re both very thin and not that “wide” but make very little difference to pedal strikes.

messiah
    Free Member

I like my DMR Vaults; but my terms of referenece are pretty small as previous to them I’ve only used Shimano and DMR.

I find the Vaults fantastic underfoot due to the size and shape. Pedal strike I can’t see making much difference unless your willing to run a really small pedal… in which case run SPD’s 😉

I’d like to try the Launch Components Launchpad just because… but they are not cheap.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Ooo those syntace pedals look interesting, but you’re right.. don’t look at the price!!

Good point on the crank length too, I have absolutely no idea what length are fitted but assume it’s probably 170 or 175 as this seems the norm.

r.e. longevity on the point1 pedals I’m actually not surprised, there is so little space for a bearing!

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Syntace pedals-
    http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2177#

The exotic cycles pedals seem like a good price, have you used them FROGLEEK?

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=84&p=1177&

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

All hinges on an unsealed, tiny, almost unservicable bearing on the end of the axle

Yeah- this is what puts me off of a lot of pedal designs, just looking at them you can tell they wont last. The perfect pedal has got to have decent sized bearings/bushes to cope with the loads as well as good sealing!!

geetee1972
    Free Member

r.e. longevity on the point1 pedals I’m actually not surprised, there is so little space for a bearing!

Quite, those bearings at the end of the spindle are teensy, and I mean, really teensy. There are three of them but when I took my pedals apart there was barely any sign of anything having been in there. Even the dust that was left was minimal.

It was a shame because up to that point they had been THE pedal. I did get a warranty replacement set but as the first pair did their vanishing bearing trick half way through a week in Verbier, I ended up having to buy a new set (of Burgtecs). Luckily the day it happened I was in Chamonix (rest day for Bike Verbier) otherwise I would have needed a bank loan to buy a set.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Lunch Components:

That axle design looks familiar! I wonder how long the bearings at the end will last in those!

Also, they are made of magnesium. Very light but very soft. I had a set of Nukeproof Protons in magnesium body and ti axle. Silly light and the bearings held up really well but even around the Surrey Hills they only last about two seasons before I’d ripped almost every pin out leaving no thread to put replacement pins in.

rewski
    Free Member

DMR V12s – had for 5 years and still running sweet, a bit of grease now then.
    Easton Flatboys – had for 3 years, a great pedal, a big platform, I have size 12 5/10s, being serviced at the moment.

if I was buying now I’d go for Vaults, if money no object then probably go for point 1 podiums because they look so good.

stevede
    Free Member

Had some point one podiums which lasted about 6 months before the bearings disintegrated, successfully got a refund and replaced with some vaults, great shape, concave and low profile, easy to maintain and cheap for spares – bent an axle which was a fiver to replace, a touch too wide though and not that strong due to their low profile design so not perfect, I fear that now they are on my dh bike they won’t last! I’m keen to see the burgtec penthouse mk4’s when they come out as the previous incarnations were the flat pedal of choice on the World Cup circuit.
    In terms of price and performance you won’t beat the nanos – the bearings last ages and easy to maintain and get spares.

wrecker
    Free Member

Had point1 podiums for 2 years now. 1 rebuild which wasn’t too expensive. They are worth it for all that grip!

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Love my V12 Mag Ti’s but if i were buying now i would probably get the CarbonCycle Mag Ti’s or just the plain ally ones if on a budget.

Damn those syntace’s are sexy though O.O

M1llh0use
    Free Member

been using V12’s, then Nanos and now vaults.

out of the 3 I prefer the Nanos (well technically they’re NukeProof Nutrons but same bloke, different hat)

lank45
    Free Member

I have a set of Straitline SC pedals, just checked CRC and I bought them on 21/11/2008, still going strong now and only had to put one rebuild kit in them which is a piece of cake. Think they’ve replaced them now with the Defacto.

I run them on my Alpine which has a pretty low bb, and they’ve seen plenty of pedal strikes. Best flats I’ve had, and I’ve had Shimano DX, DMR V12 and 8s.

My Dad has a set of Nukeproof flats, Neutrons or Protons, and they’ve been bulletproof as well.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I use the Exotic flats (similar to nano) from Carboncycles.

I’ve not had cause to service them yet but the lower bb on my full suspension means they get bashed a fair bit and they’ve held up well so far.

I much prefer them to my V8’s as they’re a wider platform and much thinner. I find they grip well too though I have used longer pins on the outside edge.

Burgtecs. I’ve got a 4 year old set which have been bashed, raced 4X and BMX on them, in all manner of UK slop and grime, and never so much as been greased/serviced once.

They are the older (Mk2?) ones which I believe are a bit thicker than the newer ones. Slightly heavier than other/slimmer pedals, but in the grand scheme of things, not heavy at all, and I would rather carry a few extra ounces and have a bombproof product, than scrimp on a component that is under a lot of stress/abuse like a pedal.

gonzy
    Free Member

best pair of flats i’ve ever owned were a pair of Easton Cully’s….light enough for xc and strong enough for dh….the grip and feel on them was amazing…they were expensive when they came out…such a shame they’ve now been discontinued…

extremo
    Free Member

I have the burgtec penthouse flats, amazingly grippy. but if you’re looking for thinner lighter ones, take a look at the new burgtecs which are about to come out. i’ve seen the prototypes and they’re looking goooood.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Yes roadwarrior I have had them on a couple of bikes now – very grippy, thin and ok weight, no issues with bearings as yet

Only thing is my current fs El Guapo has a low bb (13″) and I do still have pedal strikes I am running 175mm cranks though

Having had a few differentpairs of flats, I cannot reccomend the Exotics enough in terms of quality vs price vs weight vs look etc etc

guitarhero
    Free Member

I currently use Hope F20’s, DMR Vaults, and Spank Spikes on various bikes. I have to say my current favourite is the Hope F20. It just feels perfect underfoot. The perfect balance of grip and platform size (for me)

I bought someone’s warranty replacement Point One Podiums, and they lasted less than a year before the tiny bearing disintegrated destroying the pedal body. Waste of £100

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve run Gusset Slim Jim mag flats for 5 years now, just pull’em apart, grease them and put back twice a year, still going strong, despite numerous talent-lacking pedal hits.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Wellgo mg1. Twenty quid. I tried shimano flats. Went back to mg1’s. Too easy!

chip
    Free Member

Where can you get wellgo mg-1
    Pedals for twenty quid.

I bought some yesterday for my hardtail and payed twice that.
    I also bought some v8 s the day before for my new build as they were only twenty quid.

Speeder

best pair of flats i’ve ever owned were a pair of Easton Cully’s

Have to agree, Cullys are the benchmark by which all pedals should be measured. I’ve got 3 pairs and I’ve only moved on to Point 1s because they’re thinner, lighter and not so battered. Having said such great things about Cullys it has to be said that they do have their own version of the Point 1 bearing issue as the outer bearing is similarly tiny and I have had one disintegrate before. Wasn’t the end of the world though as I just bodged a tool to get the outer race out, I’d imagine one could do the same with the Podiums.

Thanks to this thread I’ve just collard myself a Podium bearing tool which should with regular use see me avoid the type of tiny bearing disasters mentioned above.

vondally
    Free Member

as above cullys and the problems mentioned,

one pair left and have used wellgo b 52s happily

Northwind

chip – Member

Where can you get wellgo mg-1
    Pedals for twenty quid.

I bought some yesterday for my hardtail and payed twice that.

Best I can find is £28.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Think mind were from highonbikes ebay. Was a couple of years ago but a quick eBay search turns up loads for £21 plus a few quid postage from HK.

gears_suck
    Free Member

I don’t see how a pedal can be held responsible for hitting something. I run egg beaters and you quickly learn to avoid doing such things. One hit and they’re toast.
    I suggest you hone your skills and stop hitting things with them.

Stiggy

I’ve just discovered RSP FTW’s, they’re super slim, light as and relatively cheap. No bling factor but i’m impressed so far. Only had them about a month so they might disintegrate next week!

jedi

i go through pedals very quickly. i am always looking for a stand out pedal but not found one yet. currently using plastic nukeproof jobbies for 25 quid 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

Another vote for plastic Nukeproof jobbies – Electrons. Can be had for between 25 and 35 quid depending on which colour you want. Great compromise of weight, grip, toughness, size and cost

geetee1972
    Free Member

I suggest you hone your skills and stop hitting things with them.

Play nicely now.

jonnyblease
    Free Member

I’m currently running some of the Superstar Nano pedals, for £40 they are awesome, light, grippy and so far pretty robust.

Previosly I’ve ran DMR V12s which I wasn’t hugely impressed with but they did the job. The best pedals I’ve owned in terms of weight and grip and robust ability to fend off rocks were the E13 LG1 flat pedals, ridiculously grippy when used with five tens, to the point where you can’t adjust your foot position on the pedal unless you pull your foot completely off and re-position, this can be a pain if you don’t have much of a run up to a drop/jump/obstacle, they also bite pretty hard if you fall off, I have the scars to prove it! Not cheap at £118 though…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Deity Decoy.

Redefined what “bombproof” meant to me. I can’t break them, I keep trying, it’s impossible.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘World beating flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.