Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Workstands – Park V Feedback Sports V others?
  • andyl
    Free Member

This old nugget again…

Have had a couple of cheap ones (eg the Bike Tool/Hand folding ally one) and not been impressed, maybe I had duff ones but I want something that is definitely going to be solid but also fold down easy.

The Park Tools PCS-10 gets loads of great reviews and has a metal clamp as well as being backed up with a lifetime warranty. I used to be sceptical of Park tools thinking they were over priced but when I use their stuff it works.

Other one that is not too much is the Feedback Sport model (black tripod one): http://feedbacksports.com/shop/Sport-Mechanic-Work-Stand-P3.aspx

Anyone tried these and any others suggestions around £100 (can get both models around that)?

This is a risky one but not plastic like the similar ones: http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k472/a10339/details.html

br
    Free Member

Park 9, the clamp while ‘wind-up’ means that it self-adjusts for differing diameters.

sv

I have a Park PCS9, it is weighty/solid and folds down quite well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

i have the pro feedback sports one – cant fault it …folds down tiny – mines alloy thats steel. mine has a push in clamp that you only rotate the last wee bit to tighten it on !

cheaper park ones are pish – i did like the 300 quid pro workshop stand they do that we had in the shop

brooess
    Free Member

+1 PCS-9. Not least because when one of the bolts rounded out, they sent me a new one FOC without any problem. Like Hope and Oakley, seems costly to buy but you don’t need to buy again for years because the customer service is so good

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have the one that grum linked, with some other branding on it.

I wish i bought a better one. it doesn’t hold a bike still, bits have come unglued but it is probably not bad for the money.

however i wish i had spent double and bought a stand for life, i will be replacing it and that one will become a race day stand.

anc
    Free Member

Got the Ultimate(feedbacksports) pro-elite, brilliant workstand so easy to use. Pricey though, I got it heavily discounted, not sure I’d pay rrp.

Northwind

Minoura are great, though seem quite expensive now- way better than any of the Park stands other than the professional level ones.

infidel
    Free Member

I have a PCS 10 – solid and works great. I like it.

andyl
    Free Member

I did spot the Minoura Tancho (white one) and RS-5000 which look quite tempting.

I have had the cheap ally one linked above and just had too much slop for my liking. Maybe I had a bad one (wasn’t from Merlin).

The things I am not sure about on the feedback ones is the vice like clamp and the plastic QR clamps on the cheaper model. The anodised red higher end models are nice with the stainless QRs.

andyl
    Free Member

Infidel – any idea how heavy it is and how easy is it to live with folding up and down?

DeeW
    Free Member

I got one from Edinburgh Bike Coop: £60ish in a sale and very good.

this one:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=5379&f_SupersetQRY=C287&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003136c003544

bit more expensive now, think sold under other brands

grum
    Free Member

I got one from Edinburgh Bike Coop: £60ish in a sale and very good.

this one:

Pretty sure it’s the same as the Merlin one I linked to under a different brand name – mine is branded Union Bike Tools or something. I’m surprised by the negative comments – lots of people on here recommended them and I’m very happy with mine.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Feedback Sports Pro Elite here. Brilliant stand, well worth it.

uplink
    Free Member

Feedback Sports Pro Elite [called Ultimate when I got it]

Best I’ve ever seen/used, bought it when Merlin were knocking them out for around £130

The plastic bush between the 2 uprights shattered in the freezing cold last year, 2pure replaced it sight unseen

andyl
    Free Member

I think I just had a bad one, happens and it was made worse by my carbon frame meaning I have to clamp by the seat post which puts a lot of torque into the clamp and head assembly.

I realised just how much use we have for a stand here so I want to get something I am happy with and is stable. The cheaper ones I tried have the bars going up and down about 20cm with very little effort or turning the cranks.

I’m actually wondering if I could clamp the seat tube on my frame with the Feedback Sports type vice clamp if I get an uppy-downy post which can’t be clamped.

LoCo
    Free Member

PCS 10 used in the workshop and at races very good, only slight issue is could do with a third leg when holding DH bikes on a slope.

uplink
    Free Member

The Feedback Pro Elite is only around £140 at Merlin [with VIP discount] – find the extra £40 IMO

EDIT: it’s the Pro-Ultralight for that money the Pro Elite is £170 😳

andyl
    Free Member

Yeah the elite is a tad expensive!

The Ultralight at £144 is still far too much, although I do think it is a lot nicer than the sport model.

Just checked back and the Park one is now out of stock – come on, who went and bought it? own up!

Going to Bespoked in Bristol on Saturday so will be looking at the stands as well as the frames. Wonder if any shops in Bristol have the Feedback and Park ranges.

Very tempted to just source some nice solid tripods and make up my own clamp and rotate arrangement. Not really worth £100 of my time though.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Another one for the Park PCS9. Slight pain that the clamp is wind up, but I don’t use it that much so not a big deal. The way it’s built I shall probably never, ever need to buy another work stand

colournoise

Northwind – Member
    Minoura are great, though seem quite expensive now- way better than any of the Park stands other than the professional level ones.

Just got a Minoura RS-5000 from Merlin for 120 quid. It’s my first workstand so nothing to compare it to but it’s chunkier than I expected and seems pretty well put together. Haven’t used it in anger but have had a little play and it’s quick and easy to adjust and holds the bike nice and solid. Unless it bizarrely falls apart in use seems like a good buy to me.

slainte 🙂 rob

andyl
    Free Member

you should have signed up for the VIP club and saved £13!

I had a look at the 3 Minoura ones at the weekend and now I see why you guys recommend them. The RS-5000 clamp is absolutely solid! All metal parts which is nice.

Also had a look at the Feedback Sport model and it was pretty nice. Definitely more stable than V leg types. But the wind up clamp seemed basic for the money.

Oh and had a look at the Park ones at Bespoked – the clamps on them are also very solid and they have a wider V than a lot of other stands.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Gave my Minoura RS-5000 away.

It is probably not much more stable than the bike tools stand – it might be ok if you had some sandbags to put over the legs. Plus the rear tightening mechanism (to hold the clamp out from the folded position) started to screw-up (in a bad way).

I have the top Feedback one – very stable – I can rotate my bike to all sorts of angles to get at the underneath of the suspension to work on. Wished I had bought it in the first place instead of wasting money on other stands.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Workstands – Park V Feedback Sports V others?’ is closed to new replies.