Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Works Components angleset fitting
  • Burchy1
    Free Member

Fitted the above today, both cups are lined up with each other but are half to one degree out with the centre line of the frame.

Will that be ok, or shall I knock them out and start again?

Put bluntly will I die?

daveh
    Free Member

Doubt you’ll notice tbh but you’ll always know…..

Northwind

Half a degree? Do you have lasers for eyes? Mine are as straight as I wanted them to be but being realistic, my tolerances are naked-eye and I wouldn’t know if they were half a degree out.

granny_ring

Tricky to fit aren’t they.
    But worth it 🙂

Burchy1
    Free Member

Yeah a little tricky, get it all lined up and then the bloody thing moves when you put the press on it.

NW – a degree ish out between the two marks on the cup, so a fair bit further when you’ve drawn a line up to the seatpost.

b45her
    Free Member

put them in the freezer for a couple of hours an you can push them in by hand and twist them with your fingers.

physics = awesome 😉

boxelder

I’ve one for sale if anyone interested. Tapered steerer, to fit long HT
    Clicky for details

granny_ring

I gave up using the press for that reason and used hammer and block of wood……carefully!!

DK
    Free Member

b45her – Member
    put them in the freezer for a couple of hours an you can push them in by hand and twist them with your fingers.
    physics = awesome

Wish id read that a few hours ago!

granny_ring – Member
    I gave up using the press for that reason and used hammer and block of wood……carefully!!

More than one way to skin a cat!! 😀 as they say

Looks neat when fitted. Bars move nice. Bearings seem a bit cheap though…
    Any long term users anything to report?!

DK
    Free Member

Burchy1 – Member

Put bluntly will I die?

That is of course assuming you’re still alive :/

Si
    Free Member

I predict impending doom…

Thought you all ready had one fitted anyway?

iffoverload
    Free Member

I fitted mine with a crown race from a Hope headset which has a rubber skirt, seems to have better seal against water ingress, the works one had quite a noticable gap. took it apart after the rainy season and it’s pristine inside 🙂

Burchy1
    Free Member

Si – I do, fitted 8 months ago when I first posted 😉

It’s been great and the bearings are still smooth.

Northwind

DK – Member

Any long term users anything to report?!

I’ve had 3 now, in various bikes… They seem to go through top bearings. Now the bearings are the same and the sealing’s much the same as cane creek S3s, which don’t go through top bearings. But what I think is maybe the flatter top of the reducer headset lets water sit on and soak past the seals, or something.

It is a trivial irritation really, considering what it can do for a bike, but it gives me something to say apart from “good kit” so that’s useful

DK
    Free Member

Haha cheers northwind, yeah I can see what you mean it’s flat on top, and like iffoverlord said, seal seems a bit crap.
    Plenty of space for grease though I guess and quick job dropping top bearing in. Cheers for the info.

…now, did I mention it’s on my orange five? discuss. 😉

Northwind

60 degree head angle 😆

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m not very impressed with the On One/Works Components angleset. Don’t know if it’s something specific to my bike, but it doesn’t seem to be many rides before the headset starts seizing between rides and then needs changing. I’m needing a third now in only three years, very poor considering we’ve had two dry summers. The bike’s been used at most once a week in summer (probably more like once every 2 weeks) and it only goes out 1 or 2 rides over a winter. At £60 a shot I’d expect much better for that amount of use, not sure what to do this time round as I like what it does for the bike, probably going to have to scrap the slacker angle and go with something that lasts longer.

(had them fitted by a reliable lbs btw, so don’t think the issue is anything to do with fitting error)

STATO
    Free Member

Have you got the right one for your frame (they are specific to certain head tube lengths.

Got one in the xc bike, it’s been in there a few years now and had a lot of miles on it. No bother at all.

Northwind

Replacing headset bearings once a year at a cost of a few quid isn’t too bad tbh. Not ideal but does that really make you want to replace it with a different headset?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Works Components angleset fitting’ is closed to new replies.