working/living in NZ

Home Forum Chat Forum working/living in NZ

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • working/living in NZ
  • spotted a job thats up for grabs in NZ thats in my field in fact spot on for me missus seam up for it has anyone got any advises just one thing that ive got my doubts over is that iam 40 old and i thought where were some age barriers??.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Oz experience here
    Simple things first do your maths.
    Moving costs etc. Cost of living tax etc.
    What is the visa status Gordon the job do they provide it? What happens when the visa ends.

It’s a long way home if something happens with family. It’s also hard to stay in contact with the UK.

Also could be the best thing you do and can be amazing.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

it’s a long way from home, and more or less the same as scotland.

Pigface

Tell me which part of Scotland is semi tropical?

mrmo

i can’t seem to place Pahia in Scotland? and have difficulty remembering where the Avocados grow?

can you remind me please

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

New Zealand? or Scotland?

New Zealand? or Scotland?

we could go on all evening.

I lived in NZ for a year, i even qualified for residency, it’s a beautiful country.

but you don’t have to fly half way round the world to find another beautiful county that, in many ways, looks and feels very similar…

athgray

Semi tropical? Poolewe.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

and there are palm trees in Plockton…

(and coral beaches all over the west coast)

so what your all saying is that instead of looking down under i should go for forklift service engineer jobs in scotland instead 😯

athgray

Up to you fatsimon, both terrific places.

Pigface

Guffaw 😆 oh stop with the funny pictures 😆

How many successful vineyards are there in Scotchland?

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

so what your all saying is that instead of looking down under i should go for forklift service engineer jobs in scotland instead…

depends, ‘sup to you.

but have you been to the beaches of Mallaig, and watched the sun sink behind the mountains of Rum?

athgray

Sounds like something from Bladerunner awhiles.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Fatsimon in an attempt to get back on topic….
    I think what people are getting at is that you don’t have to go half way round the world for a better life. However you can and some things are different here. Many are the same – all of lifes problems still exist in the southern hemisphere. We are able to make wine, do fun stuff and more. If your visa will lead to residency for both of you in a sensible amount of time (I have another 4 years to go here in Oz for Citizenship) it’s a good option. At 40 it’s going to be harder to start again, I’m 33 and moved out to Tasmania this year – having to start again with friends etc takes time and it can be quite isolating trying to break in to new social circles – in the UK you can hop in the car and go back to visit people. I looked at popping back on my unused rtn ticket and could manage 10 days so not bothering.
    Skype, Google hangouts, Facebook etc make it easier to keep in touch but the time difference is too much most of the time.

In the end back to point 1, do the sums.
    What can you sell up for in the UK, what can you buy/rent over there. How much would you earn & can the missus work? What is the tax burden (for instance here income tax lower but stamp duty on buying a car, fuel duty low beer high) There should be some good cost of living estimates on expat forums.
    If you sell up and move be prepared to stick it out for a few years and the exchange rate etc may make an escape plan unrealistic.
    Visa is the main issue though, if it’s tied to the job then you may not have long term security. Have a look at the Oz/NZ Expos Link Here Covers Oz/NZ & Canada. Good to get a feel for other jobs money & shipping costs. Was worth going to to catch up with all those people in 1 morning.
    Talk it through with family etc. and Good Luck!

mrmo

NZ or scotland

granted not always easy to say.

thanks mikewsmith just the kind of info i was looking for.

My wife and I are just about to go back out to NZ. She is from Nelson so essentially we are going back to her home rather than emigrating. Its a beautiful country with good weather (Not too hot or too cold) in Auckland and Nelson. Im not so keen on Wellington or Christchurch though as the weather isnt so good.

Houses are still unaffordable as they are in the south east of UK especially in Auckland, but at the end of the day we both love the outdoors and the opportunities for tramping, swimming and and outdoor life for potential future kids is so much better.

The main downside is being so far away from friends and family, but for us whatever we do we are living away from some of our family so the decision is simplified. Also if you do a manual job in my experiance you get paid better than the UK. e.g. I’m a tree surgeon and I earn around £4000-5000 a year in NZ.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘working/living in NZ’ is closed to new replies.