Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Working in Saudi Arabia – is it a good idea?
  • jon1973
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking, yes make great money there is a risk and what have you got to lose?

You can’t spend that money when your 6ft under in a box rotting.

How much more is it? 50%? 100% Its nowhere near enough.

A life is worth more than even a lottery win IMO.

Is there a high mortality rate for ex-pats working in Saudi then?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Third Country Nationals – If I talked about this it would become a rant but basically it’s slave labour and some of the conditions these people work in and what they have to put up with is a disgrace. But we all turn a blind eye and carry on because the money is good

They’re there for a reason as well..

iDave
    Free Member

The one thing that Saudi Arabia isn’t is dangerous (for white foreigners).

Frank Gardner might not agree.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jon1973
    Free Member

Frank Gardner might not agree.

I think you’re more likely to be stabbed in London then shot in Saudi

hora
    Free Member

Is there a high mortality rate for ex-pats working in Saudi then?

Do they freely wander around the Kingdom? Thats an open question.

Stabbed in London? I lived in London for 7yrs. I don’t recall having security around me or living in a compound.

messiah
    Free Member

The standard of driving in Saudi is shocking, as is the HSE of many workplaces… your less likely to be “attacked” but more likely to be “injured”. Life is cheap… unless it’s a Saudi or western-ex-pat life!!! Racism, class’ism, slavery etc roled into a medieval society with heaps of cash in the pockets of the few… very unpleasant.

Fourbanger – yes they are there for the money, but the system as it is takes advantage of them and they have no way to complain. If they complain then the work permit is cancelled and they have to pay to get home… without recieving the payment bonus which made it worth turning up… they have few rights… much like Mexican’s in the USA then :mrgreen:

jon1973
    Free Member

Stabbed in London? I lived in London for 7yrs. I don’t recall having security around me or living in a compound.

That’s the point isn’t it? you get a premium for working under those conditions, but it’s pretty safe if you follow the rules, so to say you get paid because there is a risk of death is incorrect.

hora
    Free Member

Heres the official Foreign Office politically sensitive version:
    There is a continuing high threat of terrorism in Saudi Arabia. We continue to believe that terrorists are planning further attacks in Saudi Arabia, including against Westerners and places associated with Westerners. On 28 September 2011, the US Government warned that terrorists may be planning to abduct Westerners in Riyadh. The US Government warned on 4 August 2010 that terrorists might be planning to attack Westerners working and living in Al-Qasim. We believe aviation interests and oil infrastructure also remain possible terrorist targets.

We are aware that the Saudi authorities are concerned about an increased threat of terrorism in the Kingdom. The Saudi authorities announced, in January 2011, the conviction of 765 people involved in terrorist activity in the previous Hijri year (18 December 2009 – 6 December 2010). We remain in close contact with the Saudi authorities. The Saudi security forces continue to take action against terrorist groups. A number of terrorists have either been killed or imprisoned, and terrorist activities have been disrupted. This success should not give rise to complacency. Although terrorist networks are disrupted, we continue to believe that opportunistic attacks on western targets may still occur.

All British nationals should continue to exercise vigilance, and check this advice on a regular basis. You should take all necessary steps to protect your safety and should make sure that you have confidence in your individual security arrangements. You should maintain a high level of vigilance, particularly in public places, and take sensible precautions for your safety and that of your vehicle. You should avoid any large gatherings or demonstrations. You should follow news reports and be alert to regional developments. Any increase in regional tension might affect travel advice.

Terrorist attacks in Saudi Arabia have taken various forms. At their height in 2003 and 2004 they included: kidnapping, large-scale truck bombings of residential compounds and Saudi government offices, an attack on the US Consulate in Jeddah, targeted shootings of individuals, small-scale car bombings, parcel bombings, and bombing of shopping areas. In February 2006, terrorists attacked an oil-processing centre in Abqaiq, Eastern Province, detonating two car bombs, but were prevented from doing damage that was more serious; in February 2007, four French nationals were shot dead in an incident near Medina. On 27 August 2009, there was an unsuccessful suicide bomb attack against a Saudi Government Minister in Jeddah. In an incident at a checkpoint in Jazan, about 110km north of the Saudi-Yemen border, on 13 October 2009 two terrorists were killed, one arrested, and one policeman killed.

…and here is the Australian version without any ulteria motive..

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Saudi_Arabia

Here is the top two line:
    We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Saudi Arabia at this time due to the ongoing very high threat of terrorist attack.

konabunny
    Free Member

Does “that’s an open question” actually mean “you don’t know”? Saudi Arabia is not (southern) Iraq or Mexico. It’s a completely different security landscape. Apart from in the very remote mountains and around Mecca etc (which is closed to non-Muslims), there’s nothing to stop you going anywhere you like (if you’re a white man).

The premium for working in Saudi is not so much for the heightened personal safety risk as for the fact it’s a complete hole.

here is the Australian version without any ulteria motive..

How is DFAT suddenly without ulterior motives and likely to be less biased than the FCO?

How does C&Ping data which is sourced from the Saudi Interior Ministry show anything useful?

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Working in Saudi Arabia – is it a good idea?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts