Working in Asia?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Working in Asia?
  • MSP

or more specifically finding work in Asia. I am considering trying to get a job in Asia, probably Singapore or Bangkok, but would consider other cities as well. Mainly I would be going for the experience to live in another culture. So probably just for a couple of years, but who knows if I enjoy life there I would probably stay.

Trying to find the best way to find English speaking  work there, would it just be the normal websites, ie jobserve etc or are there more alternative recruitment sites for that part of the world?

If anyone has experiences I would very much like to hear them

qwerty

Other halfs niece has just finished uni (English degree) and is now in Thailand teaching English as a foreign language, i don’t think an English degree is essential to do this. She gets training initially & then posted to a school. Great way of integrating & seeing a country.

From what i’ve heard from people who have lived & worked in Thailand, its easy to import your funds & invest in Thailand, but not so easy to extract your cash / assets. Worth looking into to see if its true.

thecaptain

Teaching English is the obvious way in (eg in Japan). Bit of a dead end for most and not as much money as there used to be but quite a good way of collecting life experiences and seeing a bit more of the world.

Premier Icon julians
    Subscriber

Read the thread title as working in Asda.

What do you do now?

jobs that are easier to get either involve a skilled career, teaching or tourism.

You cant rock up a labour etc. as there will be no one to hire you over a local

MSP

My plan would be to continue in IT over there. Unfortunately I don’t have a degree, but I have a pretty decent CV.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

My eldest (23) went out to Chengdu, China in June. He was fortunate that we have a family friend with relatives who live there and were prepared to put him up but he went because he has really struggled with finding any job that he could stick at over here. He’s a qualified chef but has just drifted along from job to job for the last few years nd was struggling with confidence.

Four months in and he’s working in a school as a teaching assistant. He’s looking to do a TEFL (apparently they will accept his qualifications as sufficient) and he absolutely loves it. He’s found his own place and is learning the language. It’s given his confidence an enormous boost. Neither his mum or I thought he’d last two minutes on his own in such an alien culture but he’s proved us wrong. I wish I’d had his bottle at his age.

Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

Without a degree or sponsorship I would go the teaching English route and then network like crazy to get back into IT or related work.

Singapore and Hong Kong are very much “Asia for beginners” territory and provides the easiest introduction for a westerner into Asia, however, Singapore especially has very tight immigration rules which can make it difficult to bring in unskilled workers.

From my experience in HK it would seem skilled teachers working for the larger international schools do make a good living and I hear this is the same for most of Asia, this is very different from the TEFL work though.

Good luck, its not a bad life out here if you can handle typhoons & rainy seasons plus high humidity for 8 months of the year.

LeeW

‘Foreigners’ must Have a work permit in Singapore, these S, E pass quotas are strictly controlled for the MoE.

I have seen people with degrees in stores duties (goods receiving) from tin pot universities in the middle of nowhere get preferential treatment over incredibly experienced foreign engineers with no degree.

The levels knowledge of most Singaporean engineers with degrees is frightening. I spent around 18months working for ST Engineering/Kinetics/Aerospace.

Generally if you want to do TEFL teaching you need a degree for a work visa in most Asian countries. As has been said Singapore and Hong Kong are the most western Asian cities (I actually experienced a little homesickness on my first visit to HK after being  in Taiwan for a year and a half as it reminded me of London) and they both have good mountain biking scenes.

Premier Icon earl_brutus
    Subscriber

You Should consider Vietnam. When I was there last year I met lots of expats teaching English and no shortage of work. $1000 month pay seemed pretty good too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Working in Asia?’ is closed to new replies.