Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Working cats appreciation thread
  • footflaps

We’ve not had a working cat thread for a while, so I thought I’d start one….

NB Please don’t post on this thread if you have ‘normal’ cats, they might be identical in every way but unless you insist on using the adjective ‘working’ every time you mention them, they’re not proper working cats.

E.g. We only feed our working cats working cat food. Once a week I drive past Sainsburys, which sells normal cat food, and drive out 5 miles to the local farm shop where I buy working cat food, which is identical to normal cat food, only I bought it in a farm shop. I have to correct the lady at the till every time when she asks ‘how are the cats?’ and remind her that we have working cats and they are fine, busy working. She then gives me this special look that only working cats owners get.

We only use a working cats vet. Sadly there aren’t enough working cats in the area to fully sustain a local vet, so they also take normal cats as well. However, whenever I pop in to make an appointment for the working cats I always make sure the recpetionist writes down ‘working cat’ in the diary as I don’t won’t our cats to be confused with normal cats. She then gives me this special look that only working cats owners get.

Our local vets likes seeing working cats, whenever they go for their annual working cat checkup, I always insist that he gives them a proper working cat checkup and innoculations for working cats rather than normal cats. She then gives me this special look that only working cats owners get.

There’s something nice about knowing you have working cats which are so much better than normal cats and it’s clear from all the special looks we get that other people also appreciate the difference.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

😁

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    perchypanther
    Free Member

These’ll be those cats that go careering across the road in front of my car presumably?

footflaps

These’ll be those working cats that go careering across the road in front of my car presumably?

FIFY

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

What sort of work?

This one is a fat cat banker.

Has to use a touch pad though as he’s easily distracted by a mouse.

johnners
    Free Member

Sadly there aren’t enough working cats in the area to fully sustain a local vet, so they also take normal cats as well.

I feel your pain OP. Whenever I take my trail cats to the vets the place is full of normal cats just doing their normal cats stuff. Annoying, tbh.

Oggles
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning to start a post about my working cats tax liability but might as well ask in here. Should they be setting up as a limited compawny? Low salary, maximize pension contributions, take the rest as dividends?

footflaps

Our take kibbles in hand, they don’t put any of it through the books….

surfer
    Free Member

I see what you did there and I approve.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Our take kibbles in hand, they don’t put any of it through the books….

They should be careful, the only things that are certain in 9 lives are death and taxidermy

p7eaven
    Free Member

swydt

But nonetheless, I think I have a working cat! Or rather he has a number of us.

A young cat turned up in our garden about a year ago. He kept turning up. He was shy. But persistent. We eventually named him after a Messiah. He hated being indoors as we attempted to sort of adopt him. Also as we attempted to scan him for a chip. He legged it for a week. But he came back. We felt special. Then we read about how semi-feral cats can ‘do the rounds’ in a neighbourhood. ie meow and rub up you for treats and then after so gratifying themselves they bob off to neighbouring saps for more of same.

Our neighbouring sap just (actually a hero in my eyes) volunteered £200 in vet bills for the messiah to have his worming, neutering, health heck, etc, etc. The vets gave them a £100 discount because it was a stray cat. Call it a spayment plan. They (neighbouring sap) also tried to house him but he did the same to her. Legged it. Came back later at a renewed distance. Not an Indoors Cat.

Anyway, we have a big rat problem hereabouts in semi-rural lockdown land. Have had for decades tbh. The messiah arrived last year as a shy teenytom but has since morphed into giant-head terminator-tom. A rat-slapping hero. He is our working cat. He takes a rat a day at least. Have seen him on successive days with fresh (still-wriggling) rodents (the size of small cats) clamped in his jaws as he proudly muscles them to the Unseen Chomping Grounds (which I suspect to be Over There)

Long live the messiah. Long live us rewarding our neighbouring sap with many gifts (not rats) for her kindness to a messiah in need but also for pest-control services unwittingly rendered to neighbouring saps.

welshfarmer

To be fair, there are at least 4 cats living feral in my barns. They do a grand job of controlling the local mouse, rat and rabbit populations. They are no trouble and my Sister in law likes to leave out bowls of cat food for them now and then. Those are proper working cats. The last cat I had started life the same way, but I managed to tempt her into the house with the promise of food and warth, and she never went back out for 3 months! I eventually persuaded her to use the cat flap and she resumed her vermin patrols, occasionally bringing rabbits in through the bedroom Velux to eat under my bed. She really was a lovely cat. Not sure what the working cat vet look is though as none of our working cats have ever been near a vet!

EDIT: I forgot. I even used to force my working cat to watch training videos

footflaps

Then we read about how semi-feral cats can ‘do the rounds’ in a neighbourhood. ie meow and rub up you for treats and then after so gratifying themselves they bob off to neighbouring saps for same.

Working cats wouldn’t do that as they need working cat food, which is completely different to normal cat foor as its been bought in farm / tack shop and therefore completely different in a completely identical way.

footflaps

Those are proper working cats.

Hang on, you can’t just start throwing extra adjcetives in!

Please start another thread for proper working cats. This thread is for working cats, which are completely different.

fasthaggis

We have two Feral cats , they are away a lot so not sure if they may get some short term contracts as Working cats. When choosing to stay around for a while, they also seem to manage a good House cat impression. They are not scared of cucumbers.

welshfarmer

[strong]footflaps[/strong] wrote:

working cat food, which is completely different to normal cat foor as its been bought in farm / tack shop and therefore completely different in a completely identical way

Not so good sir. Normal cat food is VATable at the standard 20% rate whereas Working cat food comes in at the Zero VAT rate, thus making it completely different, even if it is the same thing.

dovebiker

I saw a Twitter thread where folks had taken a nose at local property sales to find their 🐈‍⬛🐈 in the seller’s houses

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Offer, I’ve got two of the biggest workshy buggers you’ve ever seen

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I saw two cats working the other day. These cats were slightly different to UK Working cats.
    They had a slight accent on their “meow”, I can only conclude they are foreign working cats over for the season. Basturds taking UK Working cats jobs…

footflaps

Basturds taking UK Working cats jobs…

Inform on them to Priti Purrtel and she’ll deport them….

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

LOL

Clover

So once your working cats retire, do you have to pay VAT on their food?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Priti Purrtel

Home’s a Cattery?

DavidB
    Free Member

Our working cat has been on furlough since the beginning of lock down. He was lucky as he’s employed as opposed to his mate down the road who’s always worked cash in hand.

footflaps

always worked cash in hand

Kibble in paw surely ….

andrewh
    Free Member

Inform on them to Priti Purrtel and she’ll deport them…

Telling tails?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Our cat was working but after studying hard is now middle class. Well done Kitty McGee!

Eyepic
    Free Member

When I was very young and at University.
    A mate of mine (Sally) was a cat lover.
    She would halk about her parent’s latest cat all the time then one day she announced that the cat had been trained and Sally never mentioned the cat again.
    Her parents got a new cat, Sally would talk about it until it was trained and once again she would never talk about that cat. This patten was repeted a number of times… I never found out what the cats were trained to do… always wondered if the had produced the Wiskers cat etc.

When Sally got married we met up at the parents house beforehand…. her parents house right next to a busy fast rail line.

Thank god I never asked if they had produced the Whiskers cat.

highlandman
    Free Member

Our working cat is really a bit of a part-timer. Works when the season suits him. Rabbits are back on the menu this week with the return of a new spring crop of baby bunnies, so hopefully he’ll leave the stoats and weasels alone at last and stop catching them and bringing them home.
    Stoats and weasels stink, he never eats them and once in a while, for added fun, working cat will let a stoat go in the kitchen in full, rude health. Ever tried to get an angry stoat out of your kitchen? At close range, in an enclosed space, their speed is mind-bending. Don’t expect fire-proof gauntlets to protect you as nothing less than a six foot steel pole will do….

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ever tried to get an angry stoat out of your kitchen?

Mustelids are weasly things, no point using a pole or gloves and badgering them to leave, rather you need loose ankled trousers with a rope closure. They’ll be up there so fast as the leave you otterly bewildered at their speed, snug the ropes up tight then head outside and release. Whatever you do though let them make their own way out, don’t go ferreting about to remove them or the damage they’ll do will make you mink twice before doing it again.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve only ever known shirking cats, so I’m unable to contribute to this thread.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Mine can’t wait to follow Bodger J’s advice and get back to the office…

binners

This is Nelson, our working cat. He’s actually white but appears like this as he’s a northern cat, so has therefore just returned from a 16 hour shift darrn’t pit

footflaps

so has therefore has just returned from a 16 hour shift darrn’t pit

Part timer then….

Murray

I misread the title – thought you were talking about Woking Cats

https://www.facebook.com/Wokingcp/

littledave
    Free Member

All the cats in my area are working cats, it’s hard work being my counsellor/ emotional support worker.

Apart from the work shy ones who don’t let me stroke them of course.

theotherjonv

This is Nelson, our working cat

I’m going to get a ban for this but a mate from University’s family had a cat called Nelson. He was called Nelson, after a South African statesman because he was black and not allowed out of the house.

I’m still not sure if it’s allowed…….

FB-ATB

Not as bad as my Mum- she had a black cat in the late 40s namesake of Guy Gibson’s dog. She does read the DM so there’s probably a link!

Cougar

He’s actually white but appears like this as he’s a northern cat, so has therefore just returned from a 16 hour shift darrn’t pit

Well, I laughed.

a mate from University’s family had a cat called Nelson… because he was black and not allowed out of the house.

Well, I laughed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Working cats appreciation thread’ is closed to new replies.