• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by st.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Workbench = IKEA Knoxhult?
  • dmck16
    Free Member

Currently planning out the garage and considering the best, easiest and most cost effective way of installing a usable workbench with some storage.

My first thought was to repeat what I did to my old shed before I moved – upcycle some kitchen carcasses and fit a worktop to suit, but so far I’m struggling to find any available locally.

Stumbled across the IKEA Knoxhult units last night. Has anyone used these?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/knoxhult-base-cabinet-with-doors-and-drawer-white-30326790/

My concern would be that it’s thin, flimsy and just not up to the job?

cb

Wouldn’t you want space under the bench to sit?

maccruiskeen

just not up to the job?

What job does it need to do?

intheborders
    Free Member

First rule of a mancave, make your own.

dmck16
    Free Member

Not really to be honest. I have always been happy to stand, and that also allows for more storage space underneath. Personal preference I suppose.

What job does it need to do?

If the worktop flexed when leant on, or was easily chipped from things being generally bashed about on, then I’d say it’s not up to the job as it wouldn’t be long lasting.
    As I said in the OP, my concern is that it looks rather thin and flimsy (but someone may well confirm that it’s sturdy) – therefore better, harder wearing options can be found elsewhere for the same/less outlay.

First rule of a mancave, make your own.

Definitely considered this. Over engineer it. Stand back, admire it, drink beer…

misteralz
    Free Member

That’ll look shitty in no time. Some second hand Dexion and fresh marine ply is a much better bet, and possibly around the same money if you’re lucky or patient.

jimw
    Free Member

I used some similar style of units, salvaged from a doctor’s surgery that closed down, but decided not to use them to support a works surface as they are not robust enough for what I wanted which was to mount wood and metalwork vices. If you are not intending to do too much heavy duty work they may be OK on their own.
    I bought 2.4 x1.2 m 18mm Birch ply sheets (so that I could handle them on my own, any thicker and it is difficult)cut in half lengthwise to give 600mm widths, glued and screwed together to make 36mm. These are supported at the back by a batten screwed to the wall and at the front by 42mm dia handrail steel tube with base plates top and bottom at suitable spacing.
    Similar to these:

https://www.fixingsandfittings.co.uk/shop/fittings/wall-flange-131.htm

https://www.fixingsandfittings.co.uk/shop/fittings/railing-base-flange-132.htm

I have left gaps between the cupboard units to be able to sit at two places. It is rock solid.

footflaps

Just open one of the doors…..

😉

footflaps

I used some Ply, bits of 2×4 and some old fence posts as legs…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dZb9na]Adding a base to Bench #2[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

kimbers

we got a s/h ikea kitchen island from ebay, solid steel frame & oakblock worktop

my wife uses it as a jewlery making workbench with boxes on the shelves

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IKEA-Kitchen-Island-1260-x-790-x-900-mm-White-Stenstorp-Breakfast-Bar-Oak/274587027516?epid=16041810913&hash=item3feea9883c:g:iowAAOSwtCBfu324

Northwind

I have something like that in the garage, not that exact model, got it cheap from a charity shop. It’d be useless for proper Man Tasks but I have a big workbench for that, this one’s absolutely spot on for lighter tasks and the storage is nice. Got my soldering iron and such set up on it. It’s actually quite good that it’s no use for bigger tasks because it stops me from just invading that work space and covering it with lumps of car. Still, don’t think I’d pay £90.

(obviously a lot of people would like to be able to sit, I sit enough at computers etc, ymmv)

This is a cheap, and somewhat rubbish but also somewhat usable option:
    https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/workbench-with-one-storage-drawer-pegboard-shelf-pegs-workshop-garage-1200x550x1500mm-10089799

If you shop around, you can sometimes find them for much less, I got one for £38. It’s made of bendy steel and too-thin chipboard but again for light duties that doesn’t really matter, and the massive thin drawer is great for parts and tools storage. I initially assumed I’d replace the work surface with a sheet of proper heavy ply but I never bothered

5lab

I use normal ikea kitchen units for the workbench in my garage. Works well, the only problem i’ve had is the wood screws holding the vice pulled themselves out of the cheap worktop, so I’ll have to run bolts through it (not really a surprise). I’d be wanting more drawers than your example offers though.

footflaps

My vice is screwed down, I just stuck some 2×4 offcuts under the worksurface to give the screws some decent purchase…..

djambo
    Free Member

as above they’ll be fine for light work. I salvaged some of our old kitchen units for our garage. Not sure i’d pay £90 for a new one though.

Get thee on gumtree/freecycle and find someone ripping out an old kitchen and looking to get rid of some old units.

bikerevivesheffield

Following this wit interest – i have a pillar drill i need to mount at one end/record vice at the other end. Thinking an L shape top made of 2/3 layers of 18mm ply 8ft x 8 feet

rossburton
    Free Member

If you’re thinking Ikea then they actually make a workbench: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bror-work-bench-black-pine-plywood-30333286/. At least it has a ply surface and metal leges so it won’t fall apart.

maccruiskeen

At least it has a ply surface and metal leges so it won’t fall apart.

I’d sooner go with old kitchen units

those are fine for storage (I’ve got containers racked out with something similar) but as a workbench thats going to wobble and slew and bounce all over the place and just be too light to stay put if you’re working at it. The dead weight of kitchen furniture is more helpful in that respect

VanHalen

i use my table saw as a worktop. Far too much crap in my small garage for a bespoke work bench (mainly a sodding great big table saw!)

st

On the basis that the IKEA unit is basically a 1200mm kitchen base unit with a thin top I’d suggest buying a kitchen base unit with cupboards / drawers to suit your preference and a better kitchen worktop.

The configuration would be fine, I have similar but its a mock-up from a laboratory furniture installation so the carcass is very tough and the top is Trespa not Chipboard.

Piecing your own will get you a solid top that can take some stick and have a vice bolted to it without worry.

I too value storage space over sitting as I’m tinkering with bikes not sitting to solder electrical components.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Workbench = IKEA Knoxhult?’ is closed to new replies.