Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • work woes
  • trevron73
    Free Member

Been sent an email at 23.37 Tuesday night asking for documents to be sent by 9am Wednesday , i set off for a family trip to london at 3am and did not see the email. my GM called me at 10 am threatening me with my job blah blah. So i called MD and told him in no conversation on Tuesday were i told the documents needed by close of business Tuesday. I have just emailed MD for a meeting to give my resignation . Feels great i will not be bullied constantly on my days off , nor in work come to think of it .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and breath… did the e-mail to the MD include the word resignation?

Count to 10 think about your options while you are on holiday then come back to it!

trevron73
    Free Member

No did not mention word resignation , but mentioned the situation untenable and my position could be effected by out come of meeting

somafunk

Quite right, tell them to **** right off, it never fails to amaze me how folk (including some on here) choose to live to work rather than work to live .

Work is there to pay the bills and nothing else, unless you have the kind of job you absolutely love to do and if that’s the case then it’s not so much a job as a hobby that pays you.

You get some people who say that you need a job otherwise you’d just waste away your life, if that’s the case then you need to a long hard look at your life and make some changes, i could spend every single day doing stuff that is not connected to my job quite happily.

Although saying that i only work 2 1/2 days a week as it is, as that’s enough to pay the rent/bills and give me a few £ for food etc – life is too short to spend 5 days a week x 50 years of your life working.

trevron73
    Free Member

i have spent 70 hours a week working with 100 miles a day travelling , the money is great ,but my family want my life back !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

good points trevron and some from somafunk but make sure that you have a plan B before going nuclear on them. If you have the financial security to drop work tomorrow then do it, sometimes it’s better to have a way out planned than have to sort it out on the fly.

somafunk

70 hrs a week and 100 miles/day travelling?………….sorry but no amount of money could possibly justify removing you from your family for that many hours per week, bit of a morbid thought but fast forward to your old age/deathbed for this one.

Can you ever imagine saying to yourself I’m so glad i worked so many hours for faceless company X to the detriment of my family/personal life

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Can you ever imagine saying to yourself I’m so glad i worked so many hours for faceless company X to the detriment of my family/personal life

as a counter to that he is providing for his family so working like this may bring enough short-term benefits that he feels it is worth it for the long term gains.

spooky_b329

Take representation into the meeting, whether it be a work colleague or someone else to take minutes. Or even better a union rep.

wrightyson
    Free Member

as a counter to that he is providing for his family so working like this may bring enough short-term benefits that he feels it is worth it for the long term gains.

Can’t personally see that there’s any counter to working 70 hrs a week.
    I work for a right miserable old fecker at times, but I’m left mostly to my own devices. Money is most certainly not everything and I’d give up my luxuries right now if I could go to a three day weekend/ four day week.

rickmeister

And a print out of the email, plus evidence of booking your day with the family for Wednesday….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve met plenty, mostly Fly In Fly Out workers who are going through short term pain for long term gain. Everybody is different.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘work woes’ is closed to new replies.