Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Work Shoes – Crockett and Jones / Church's – YAWN FACTOR
  • crikey
    Free Member

We are only issued with one pair of feet at birth (if we are lucky) it is therefore important (imo) that we need to ensure that these will be fit for purpose for as long as possible, therefore good quality footwear is surely a good investment.
    Modern fashionable shoes are exactly that – modern and fashionable, therefore not fit for purpose.
    Fashion is a quick and easy way of separating gullible people from their hard earned cash in the false hope it may make them interesting.
    Modern now means poorly made and therefore disposable and suitable for the fashion concious.
    Poor footwear selection will have a detrimental effect, act now ….

Oh the irony, it’s almost painful….

Please attempt to back this up with some kind of science, go on, just for a laugh.

peterfile
    Free Member

Modern fashionable shoes are exactly that – modern and fashionable, therefore not fit for purpose.

Going to disagree with you on that one chief. “Business dress” does not imply that you must wear the same cut of suit and style of brogue that your grandfather did. It the people who believe that, who feel they are compelled to spend £395 on a pair of Church’s, that are the most gullible. Modern suits and footwear (which are often cheaper) can be perfectly fit for purpose.

I get a little bit embarrassed for my profession when I realise that 90% of the guys are wearing the EXACT same pair of shoes. No one dares to break the “trend’. For some reason, most partners consider it more appropriate to wear a dirty and battered pair of Church’s rather than a nice clean and smart pair of shoes which are not in the traditional style. I’m not talking about pointy patent stuff here, but it would be nice if some of these guys let their wives pick a pair of shoes for them every now and then 😉

cheekyboy
    Free Member

As I do not wear a suit or anything other than safety type foot wear there is nothing to disagree with as I simply do not know anything about business dress, I am sorry you suffer the embarrassment of poorly shod colleagues,some of the shiney bottoms in our head office treat their feet with utter contempt judging by their footwear choices, I share your pain Peter.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just to buck the trend a little, mine come from Duckers, in Oxford. Proper old school cobblers. 🙂

As to the “too young for proper shoes” idea – I got my first pair from Duckers at 16. I’m still wearing them! Value for money? Hell yeah!

crikey
    Free Member

Please attempt to back this up with some kind of science, go on, just for a laugh.

Because you seem to be ignoring this….

nealglover
    Free Member

So Because they are fashionable, and Because they are modern, they are not Fit For Purpose ?

What purpose exactly ?

I thought you were suggesting we should have good fitting shoes to look after our feet.

My shoes are perfectly fitted and comfortable, and they were cheap, are fairly fashionable and modern too.

What’s your point exactly ?

mcboo
    Free Member

Good news from Shoreditch is that high quality gents footwear is both de riguer for a well dressed chap AND sisters jeans wearing hipsters. Brown brogues, red socks, Edwin jeans rolled half way up their under-developed calfs.

peterfile
    Free Member

As I do not wear a suit or anything other than safety type foot wear there is nothing to disagree with as I simply do not know anything about business dress

What on earth are doing in this thread spouting something about the feet we are issued at birth (as opposed to being given them on our 16th birthday?) and the gullibility of people who buy modern fashionable shoes then? 😉

The OP didn’t ask what pair of PPE footwear he should buy.

ourmaninthenorth

Good news from Shoreditch

And, it would appear, from my very rural local pub, judging by the country-hipster look adopted some attendees over Aintree weekend….

damo2576
    Free Member

Saving my pennies for a pair of these, Edward Green of Northampton.

Quel surprise, someone who actually knows their shoes!

peterfile
    Free Member

country-hipster look adopted some attendees over Aintree weekend

*racism alert* – I quite like going to the races over winter (never really been a fan of flat) and was recently told by a friend who watches a TV show about travellers, that irish travellers also like to go to big meets, such as the recent Aintree weekend. Is this true? After watching an episode of the programme (only one, i promise!) it would certainly explain some of the oh-dear-god outfits that i’ve spotted at the races! *end of racism alert*

MrSmith
    Free Member

Brown brogues, red socks, Edwin jeans rolled half way up their under-developed calfs.

i don’t roll my (non skinny) selvedge up my cyclist calves but i’m wearing my brogues round farringdon/clerkenwell and sometimes with a suit jacket.
    is this o.k?
    i have a billingham bag too but i save the barbour for the weekends in the country.
    is this o.k?

mcboo
    Free Member

Damn right thats OK. Man wearing man shoes.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Crikey, my prejudices against certain forms of dress and footwear are unscientific. I have contempt for fashion following in most things, whether it be clothes, footwear, politics, blah, blah, blah.
    I do not apologise for this. If I could think of a decent and coherent analogy I would.

Neal Glover.
    Footwear is what seperates us from the ground, sometimes the ground can be kind to our feet, however on many an occasion it is not and can cause serious and irreparable damage,it is my view that shoes,boots and other forms of footwear should be both well fitting, durable, maintainable and protective. Sufficient attention ought to paid to providing the correct support to the instep to ensure that flat footedness is eradicated once and for all. Have you ever heard the racket a flat footer makes when galloping down a tiled corridor?
    The design of a shoe must incorporate all of the above, if you value your feet you will enure that your footwear choices are based upon these factors and not what your idols and role models are wearing or what is seen on the catwalks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brogues in town? Fine.

Brown? In town? Shocking. 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

Footwear is what seperates us from the ground, sometimes the ground can be kind to our feet, however on many an occasion it is not and can cause serious and irreparable damage,it is my view that shoes,boots and other forms of footwear should be both well fitting, durable, maintainable and protective. Sufficient attention ought to paid to providing the correct support to the instep to ensure that flat footedness is eradicated once and for all. Have you ever heard the racket a flat footer makes when galloping down a tiled corridor?
    The design of a shoe must incorporate all of the above, if you value your feet you will enure that your footwear choices are based upon these factors and not what your idols and role models are wearing or what is seen on the catwalks.

You are Gok Wan and I claim my £5!

crikey
    Free Member

Sufficient attention ought to paid to providing the correct support to the instep to ensure that flat footedness is eradicated once and for all.

Yes, the evils of flat footedness should be scourged from the earth.

Buffoon. That’s what you are.

mcboo
    Free Member

No Brown In Town was always utter bull Flashy and is now, thanks to our near Gallic and Latin neighbours only for old farts who break their own rules on Fridays. <See Red Jeans thread>

cheekyboy
    Free Member

And you sir are a humourless prick

peterfile
    Free Member

it would be a new low (high?), even for STW, if we manage to get a thread about work shoes closed after 2 pages 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

Neal Glover.

If you are Joking, thats very funny, and I salute you Sir.

If you are serious however……… Oh dear….. Oh dreary deary me. 🙄

(I hope it the first though, coz it did make me laugh)

peterfile
    Free Member

You’re practically handing the Edinburgh Defence out on a plate, Neal.

What happened to the sport of it?

nealglover
    Free Member

Yeah sorry about that.

Realised after I posted it that I was being a bit generous :mrgreen:

ourmaninthenorth

*racism alert* – I quite like going to the races over winter (never really been a fan of flat) and was recently told by a friend who watches a TV show about travellers, that irish travellers also like to go to big meets, such as the recent Aintree weekend. Is this true? After watching an episode of the programme (only one, i promise!) it would certainly explain some of the oh-dear-god outfits that i’ve spotted at the races! *end of racism alert*

Er, Irish travellers have always been into horse racing….

But they weren’t the attendees at my local. Rather, these were public school hipsters who’d adopted (badly in a couple of cases – never buy a sports jacket like *that*) a country look. All with brogues (even the girls).

MrSmith
    Free Member

And you sir are a humourless prick

that’s grounds for a duel to the death right there.

peterfile
    Free Member

But they weren’t the attendees at my local. Rather, these were public school hipsters who’d adopted (badly in a couple of cases – never buy a sports jacket like *that*) a country look. All with brogues (even the girls).

Nasty.

This picture was taken at an event some of my mates were at last weekend.

Words cannot describe.

That one in the middle looks like she used to be on Bo Selecta

cheekyboy
    Free Member

FAO Neal – Tis intended purely as a humour, jest whatever.

Cheers

nealglover
    Free Member

FAO Neal – Tis intended purely as a humour, jest whatever.

Cheers

And the gift of The Edinburgh Defence has been claimed 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve just realised that there’s a wikipedia page for TED.

The power of STW never ceases to amaze me 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Every muscle-shirt wearing chino-w*nker I see around here wears these big romper stomper brogue boots that look bloody awful. I have no requirement for formal dress code so the only shoes you’ll find me wearing are some Redwings when the weather’s crap.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought a couple of pairs of Wolverines 1000 mile, 1 boot pair and 1 shoe pair. I wear both with rolled up jeans, jacket and either t-shirt or shirt and funky sox. Not really that bothered what you lot think of my style, but I do look rather cool.

Both pairs bought from STAG (those in That London will probably know this shop) If you don’t no bother, you’s will not care much anywhoo’s.

and these

peterfile
    Free Member

this is easily my favourite thread on the whole interweb 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

This is what happened to my work shoes recently:

My selvedge jeans were tucked into my socks, as I rode my fixietwat.

nealglover
    Free Member

…..Not really that bothered what you lot think of my style……

But I still need to post pictures of my shoes online for strangers to look at

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I wear Crockett & jones shoes for work 80% of the time. Two pairs, plenty of life in them, both 5 or 6 years only…

I have a pair of Grensons and Church’s, C & Js are better. 6 pairs of shoes have lasted me 20 years at work with more life left in 4 pairs.

It is worth the investment.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeed, some folks want to know what shoes to buy, what with all the Church’s and Crockett lovers I though a different point of view was called for.

“W’eva”

mcboo
    Free Member

Both pairs bought from STAG (those in That London will probably know this shop)

bikebouy you mean Son of a Stag in Truman Brewery or somewhere else? (SOAS maybe my favourite clothes shop on the planet)

yoshimi

Bikebouy – I like your style (genuinely)

TooTall
    Free Member

Strewth bikebouy – how old are you? Either too old to dress like that or too young to remember the 70s (which would probably mean those odd yellow shoes would not be worn)?

As above – not caring enough about our opinion but care enough to post a description and a picture? You are the STW Hockston Fashionista and need your own column in STW to inform us in the shires what urbanites should be wearing.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Work Shoes – Crockett and Jones / Church's – YAWN FACTOR’ is closed to new replies.