Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Work place bullying
  • project
    Free Member

There is obviously a personality crash there, just avoid the other chap or ask him/her straight out what his problem is with you, it sometimes works.

If you seriously think its bulingly , go to your mnager and explain the situation, saying youhave written notes about what has happened,that ususlaly gets them to do something.

But when i left school at 16 and started industry a few eeks in to my apprenticeship realised bullying didnt stop i school, spoke to an old timer 63 about it it, and he sauiid the imortal words.

“just because you have left school, doesnt mean all the children and bullies got left in the playground”.

and oh so true years later.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@ Ton

surroundedbyhills, i agree with you that bullying is terrible.
    i just dont see how a adult can be bullied, especially at work and moreso in a big set up, where there are unions/hr departments/managers.

bring the dispute out in the open and let the correct peoples sort it out.

Like at School where kids have friends, teachers, and also parents.

Bullies exist, their motivation may vary but the behavoir and it’s effects are varied too.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I used to have a car that broke down a lot and had to spend a lot of time in the garage…

It wasn’t the car’s fault, but it was freakin unreliable!

Jeez, how do you people get through life???

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

I get through life by smiling and seeing the best in folk, its called empathy but you may need to google it 😉 I even have it for those with tattoos and those who like to provoke a reaction on the internet

CountZero

To be honest, if someone joined a department I worked in, then took 3 months off sick, I’d probably be a bit annoyed at being put under additional pressure.

Even when it’s a broken leg! If it was lead-swinging, then yes, but if that person, who’s a health professional, can’t understand the issues involved with an injury being exacerbated by a mis-diagnosis taking longer to heal, then they’re either stupid, or hopelessly lacking in any kind of care or compassion, which is probably why they’re behaving as they are. They certainly have no place in a caring profession.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Compassion counts for nowt when you have to do the work of an absent team member for no extra pay. Then when that person returns and is asking questions about stuff he should be an old hand at, it would be human nature to lose patience.

THAT, my friends, is true empathy. Not bad for a self-confessed sociopath… I must be softening up in my old age. :p

Junkyard
    Free Member

Compassion counts for nowt when you have to do the work of an absent team member for no extra pay.

Indeed work is shit innit but NHS will have minimum staffing ratios so I assume they got cover

Then when that person returns and is asking questions about stuff he should be an old hand at, it would be human nature to lose patience.

No

THAT, my friends, is true empathy. Not bad for a self-confessed sociopath… I must be softening up in my old age. :p

Well you are trying I will give you that 😛

Shibboleth
    Free Member

but NHS will have minimum staffing ratios so I assume they got cover

Haha, now that’s funny! 😀

lodious
    Free Member

So, if you get sick, through no fault of your own, and have time off work, or dare have a long term medical condition, then you should expect your colleagues to make negative comments and undermine your work?

Glad I work at a place where that doesn’t happen.

3 months off in the first 9? I wouldn’t expect to get negative comments, but I wouldn’t have a job either. I’d be glad to work somewhere where that doesn’t happen, but for many people, that is the reality.

wrecker
    Free Member

I had it once, done very slyly. I’m no shrinking violet but it was so underhand I couldn’t do much about it and left.
    Learnt my lesson now, I actually don’t think I’m bullyable; I don’t give enough of a f***. Snide comments would be met with a shrug or at worst maybe a “good job nobody cares what you think” or a “f*** off”.
    It’s in your power to stop it getting to you. Once bullies see that what they’re doing has no effect they’ll find someone else to be a **** to.

woody74

The thing to remember is that it is a job and a professional one at that. Anywhere where job grade is seen as a factor on who can help you or talk to you is a crap place to work. I would go in with a professional head on and do your job and ask people for the help that is needed. If anyone says anything back then look down at them and remind them that you are trying to be as professional as possible. There are two many people who bring their petty lives into work and bully or make snide comments to people. Just don’t accept it and on any counts.

These people love having power and you just have to not let them. For starters it will piss them right off.

Northwind

Shibboleth – Member

* Right or wrong, this will be the perception of his workmates…

It wouldn’t be my perception. But then, I’m not a ****.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be my perception. But then, I’m not a ****.

Rubbish. You’re quite clearly and asterisk x 4 if you you don’t see that.

If I was working my butt off whilst the new starter was sitting at home watching TV, the majority of people would feel a little miffed, broken leg or no broken leg. It’s human nature. Not very good at empathising, are you Northwind?

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

A long period of absence for a specific illness or injury is not generally frowned upon in most places. We had someone off for 4 months after a car crash, nobody whinged about picking up her work. Ditto with someone else who was diagnosed with MS and had 8 weeks off. An employee is more likely to be seen as “unreliable” if they consistently take a few days here and there, or if there is some kind of pattern to the absence, such as always being right after a bank holiday or something. You cannot brand an employee unreliable for breaking a bone, and if an employer sacked you, it would be unfair dismissal.

If the workload is an issue, managers should be hiring temps/bank staff if possible to cover. Bank staff are pretty readily available in the NHS. If they are making others cover the extra work with no pay, that’s bad management IMO and it is likely to lead to resentment of the staff member that’s off sick. Maybe that’s why OP’s colleagues are acting the way they are – possibly management have encouraged it in order to cover for their own failure to manage workloads when an employee is on long term sick.

Employees can however be disciplined for frequent or unexplained absences. If the OP falls into this category, then again, managers/HR should be addressing it, so as to minimise the effect on co-workers. However, I know from previous experience working in the NHS though that they are pretty poor at addressing poor attendance and performance.

Northwind

Shibboleth – Member

If I was working my butt off whilst the new starter was sitting at home watching TV, the majority of people would feel a little miffed, broken leg or no broken leg. It’s human nature. Not very good at empathising, are you Northwind?

In a nutshell, LOL.

CountZero

If the workload is an issue, managers should be hiring temps/bank staff if possible to cover. Bank staff are pretty readily available in the NHS. If they are making others cover the extra work with no pay, that’s bad management IMO and it is likely to lead to resentment of the staff member that’s off sick. Maybe that’s why OP’s colleagues are acting the way they are – possibly management have encouraged it in order to cover for their own failure to manage workloads when an employee is on long term sick.

^ This.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’m glad I don’t work anywhere near shibboleth. Who seems to think a broken leg is a skive. Management look crap as they couldn’t fix cover, as well as failing to give the OP a graded return to work.

I read about bullying when I recognised it going on near to me, along with what I believe was nepotism. And the two often go together, that social psychopath trend line, y’know. It seems the victims are often quiet, competent, good at their jobs sorts of people. The sort who are of value to their employer, but seen as competition by the bully. So any clued-up HR dept. should be red hot in dealing with it. We wish.

It’s time HR started earning their money. Does the NHS have an outside helpline, independent of them, to report these things?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

We have plenty of bank staff to cover staff who are off sick. Infact the staffing levels are very good for a Nhs ward 12 staff split between 30 patients on a early, 10 on late and 5 on a night shift. The ward could quite easily be run on 8 staff on the early and late. And if anyone rings in its either covered by our own Nhs bank staff or Agency.

Me being off wouldn’t of even made a difference, it would have been covered straight away. A fibula break, three torn ligaments and cartilage damage was hardly skiving. I can’t transfer patients from bed to chair/toilet etc if I’m at risk of falling due to instability myself.

I came back to work on physio’s advice and did 7 shifts in a row and fell due to my knee giving way. I’m not awaiting a operation to tidy up my Articular cartilage and I’m seeing Occupational health on Tuesday.

I now manage to avoid the culprit by requesting to be moved onto our other Orthopaedic ward.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I was managing a group of people or had been promoted to a higher level I would be expected to understand that these things can happen, that they do happen and life goes on. If I wandered round like a spoilt little **** I would not expect to be promoted. I have seen bullying in the workplace, it’s about power and ego’s, they prey on the weak and try and push people round knowing that people are fearing for their jobs. Those doing it are normally fairly poor at their jobs too and fear competent hard workers making them look bad.

To the OP make sure you have someone to talk to and an anger release mechanism outside of work. Speak to somebody more senior as a matter of priority, express your concerns and see what they say – this will give you a better idea of whats going on than some of the MTFU crowd in here.

epicyclo

Does no-one do the bucket of piss over the toilet stall these days?

Works wonders.

Just make sure you wait until the trousers are down. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Work place bullying’ is closed to new replies.