Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Work payslips
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Afternoon,

A question for anyone in the know

Does an employer legally have to provide payslips?

I’m finding a few conflicting bits of info on the web.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Doesn have to be paper but has to be supplied.

Offroading
    Free Member

Not paper ? What other forms of payslip are available ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

A pdf emailed to you that could be printed.

Offroading
    Free Member

Ah ok.

I left a job recently, worked with them for 2.7 years

I only have 4 payslips…..

I want to send a letter requesting all my payslips back dated but want to know if it is a legal requirement to provide them.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I thought it was?

I remember back in a day, a bloke working as a mechanic got his paypacket every week but with no details on it regarding tax and NI etc.

He got done by the taxman and had to pay a couple of years back tax as his employer hadn’t been paying it and he had no paypackets or payslips to prove he didn’t know.

ComradeD
    Free Member

I get my payslip online.

Speak to the HR department and you should be able to request them

craigxxl
    Free Member

Your employer must supply you with a statement of earnings less any deductions. This can be paper or electronic and needs to be supplied to you by the time you receive your net wages. They must also supply you with an annual statement if earnings (P60) by 19th May for the prior tax year.

Winston-Dog, HMRC will normally go after the employer not the employee when taxes haven’t been deducted. The employee is effectively paid net and HMRC gross up the earnings to calculate the underpayment of tax. Bar trade used to be notoriously easy target for HMRC.

MarkLG
    Free Member

They’re also legally required to keep a record of the hours you’ve worked to comply with working time regulations.

He got done by the taxman and had to pay a couple of years back tax as his employer hadn’t been paying it and he had no paypackets or payslips to prove he didn’t know.

Probably more to it than that.

I was sub contracting to an outfit a few years ago who seemed to have a bit of a problem issuing CIS slips as my proof of tax payment. Before filing my tax return I spoke to the local tax office who told me to submit my return without the slips and they would pursue the employer. Shortly afterwards I had a grovelling letter from the employer asking how much they had paid me while I was working for them!!

winston_dog
    Free Member

Probably more to it than that.

Your probably right. It was back in the 1980’s and it was the boyfriend of a girl I worked with. She always seemed a bit strange! However, it was too illustrate on the reasons that an employer must provide payslips.

Offroading
    Free Member

SO having not been provided any in over a year, i am perfectly ok to request them back dated ?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Without a doubt. If they ask why just say you’ve been asked to provide them by HMRC.

dan1980
    Free Member

Just as an aside, mine have all gone online now too, and tried to use a printed off payslip as a form of ID with my bank, and with a letting agent, and neither accepted them, saying I could have easily modified them before printing them off myself, and only “officially printed” ones counted.

Seemed a load of rubbish to me.

astormatt
    Free Member

I have worked for the same firm for the last 10 years and have never had any regular kind of payslips, in fact the last one i had was Oct 2010. The worst bit it is I have only 1 P60 in the last 10 years!
    I will be honest I never used to think about it as I was living at home with the folks but now as I am older I need proof of earnings etc.
    Me and the other lad at work have been asking for the last 9 months that we want payslips and our P60 but keep getting bullshit excuses why he hasn’t sorted it.
    We are starting to think something fishy is going on to be honest and don’t know what to do.
    Sorry to hijack the thread but if anyone is is the know what we can do it would be good!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Work payslips’ is closed to new replies.