• This topic has 49 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by uwe-r.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Work gone bust
  • northernmatt

So as of yesterday morning the company I work for are in administration. They had planned on it being a pre-pack but it looks like that won’t happen as suppliers were in at 7am to see what we have that they think belong to them. Got sent home at 3pm and told to stay home.

I’m not bothered who owes who what, as it’s looking increasingly likely that no-one will be getting paid this month as promised so I’m going to have to ring round and try and defer payments on things sharpish.

Had a nice day today loafing about, trying to fix the car (wiring issue 🙁 ), went for a walk in the park with the wife and youngest. Luckily I have a couple of things lined up already but they aren’t guaranteed.

Best dig the CV out and get it updated.

MoreCashThanDash

Awful when it happens, hope you get something soon

dc2.0

Sorry to hear that. Who told you to go home? Director or administrator? I assume the administrator but they should have given you more guidance as it sounds like you’ve been made redundant with no notice. You’ll have a claim against the company that the administrator will deAl with eventually but you also should get some money sooner from the insolvency service. Also, sign on unless you’re absolutely nailed on for new work. If anything gets delayed you’ll have a small buffer from them. More here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/778231/RP1FactsheetforGOVUK.pdf

NB I’m no expert but have been through this twice before…

northernmatt

MD told everyone to go home. No written notice of anything, no written mention of redundancy.
    Nothing at all in writing in fact other than an email from him stating to go home, then another at 4:40pm today telling us who the administrators are. Communication from the actual administrators has been nil.

Thanks for the heads up on signing on, I’d looked into redundancy/unpaid wages/loss of notice etc but hadn’t seen that they deduct money off you whether you claim it or not. I have a phone call for a job tomorrow, depending on how that goes will decide whether I sign on or not.

jkomo

What is your line of work OP.

chestrockwell

That’s bad news mate, hope you get sorted quickly.

My brother in law is expecting the same.

northernmatt

Plumbing & Heating merchant, I started on the counter for a national company 15 years ago. With this company it was a bit of everything, most recent was implementation of a new computer system.

MrOvershoot

As per jkomo what line of work are you in?

TheDTs
    Free Member

And location..

northernmatt

North East

MrOvershoot

Sorry Matt just crossed lines, if you had said electrical engineer, I would have a well paid position for you in Liverpool

jkomo

Good luck OP
    After an audiologist in Oxford.

northernmatt

I am neither of those things but it’s always good to see people on here sticking together. Thanks.

frankconway

Would mods make this a sticky and change name for it to reflect job search?
    Good luck in your search Matt.

bearnecessities

Crack on and fill this out now; you don’t have to persue it if the new job interview works out – but every day you leave it is a day of support, you’ve paid into, missed out.

https://www.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/

Good luck tomorrow 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s a shitty situation – both myself and one of my stepsons have had something very similar happen to us over the last couple of months.

O/P – you know who the administrators are and the individual responsible for managing the liquidation? It can work to contact colleagues, organize yourselves and maybe approach negotiation as a group?

boomerlives
    Free Member

I had this 3 years ago. Out of the blue I was told to go home, and never went back.

The administration was handled by KMPG so was a shitshow. We took them to court to cut through the lies they told.

I got a better job, for a better company. It honestly was the best thing that could have happened.

Hope it all works out for you. Ride your bike, stay positive, find something new.

ebygomm
    Free Member

If it helps, the insolvency service were quite efficient at paying claims for loss of notice, unpaid wages and unused holiday when the company I worked for was made insolvent (i hadn’t been there long enough to claim for redundancy)

boomerlives
    Free Member

+1 for Insolvency Service.

Efficient, fair and fast.

You need a reference number from the administrators, then you can get claiming.

footflaps

Happened to me 6 weeks ago….

If you’ve been there for more than 2 years you are entitled to Statutory Redundancy, which is 1 weeks wages (capped at £525) for each full year you’ve worked there under age 42 and 1.5x that for each full year over age 42. This is paid by the liquidator even if the company has no money etc, just comes from HMRC. The Liquidator should give you the details, you need the liquidation reference number to claim online. We all got ours in a couple of weeks.

Also sign on for JSA / UC asap as they don’t pay the first week and your claim starts when you apply not when you were made redundant.

As for loss of notice, that is normally a second claim which you can only apply for once your notice period is up, eg I have to wait 3 months. Can’t recall how much it is….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also sign on for JSA / UC asap as they don’t pay the first week and your claim starts when you apply not when you were made redundant.

+1, the system tells you that you can back claim it, there’s a form (of course there’s a ******* form), but it just generates a 2 page computer generated letter saying no.

Do it now, best case you get work and it’s not needed, worst case you’re a few days/weeks ahead in the system (it’s a useless and worthless system, but it’s a system).

StuF

Sorry this won’t help the OP but it might help someone else, we’re looking for some C# and C++ Devs a bit south of Leics

https://www.intercede.com/

bearnecessities

Waiting days for UC were abolished a couple of years ago.

monksie
    Free Member

ignore me. wrong company.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The difficult bit can be if you are sent home but not yet officially redundant. We had 3 weeks between being sent home and actually being formally made redundant. So there was nothing we could do in those 3 weeks

footflaps

The difficult bit can be if you are sent home but not yet officially redundant.

Pretty sure you can still sign its just that the process might be delayed until you have all the paperwork.

boomerlives
    Free Member

To be honest signing up for benefits was a waste of time. They do grudgingly give you £70-odd a week, but this will be deducted from your final (in lieu of notice) payment. And the hoops some Job shops make you jump through is absurd.

But it does keep your NI contributions up to date, so you choose.

footflaps

To be honest signing up for benefits was a waste of time. They do grudgingly give you £70-odd a week, but this will be deducted from your final (in lieu of notice) payment.

It will be deducted whether or not you claim it, so you may as well claim it.

northernmatt

UC claim is in. Managed to get some of the heftier bills deferred and arranged an extended overdraft to cover the smaller ones for the time being.

Still nothing official from work or administrators on notice/redundancy etc. but we do have it confirmed that nobody is going to get paid. Some of the lads have jobs lined up already. I’m still waiting on calls from a couple of people.

Had planned on going for a ride tomorrow until I realised it was Saturday so got to do family stuff.

reluctantjumper

Chin up mate, guarantee something will turn up somewhere. If any of our lot can do anything to help you only have to ask.

seosamh77
    Free Member

northernmatt
    So as of yesterday morning the company I work for are in administration. They had planned on it being a pre-pack but it looks like that won’t happen as suppliers were in at 7am to see what we have that they think belong to them. Got sent home at 3pm and told to stay home.

I’m not bothered who owes who what, as it’s looking increasingly likely that no-one will be getting paid this month as promised so I’m going to have to ring round and try and defer payments on things sharpish.

Had a nice day today loafing about, trying to fix the car (wiring issue 🙁 ), went for a walk in the park with the wife and youngest. Luckily I have a couple of things lined up already but they aren’t guaranteed.

Go and sign on tomorrow if you’ve not already, cause when you claim your redundancy from the government, they’ll deduct the amount you should have claimed if not. (they’ll all deduct money from your redundancy if you get a new job quickly as well btw, so if you can defer payments from any new job tell after claims are sorted. do that too.)

The government claim comes in 2 parts, RP1 and RP2, ones for a loss of earnings, holiday pay and notice money, and the other is for redundancy.

It’s only statutory amounts you’ll get though, but you will get it. I’d what was owed in my account about 1.5 then 3 months after claiming.

epicyclo

I’d ring the liquidator and ask if they want to employ a consultant who knows where the bodies are buried. 🙂

Good luck.

stumpyjon

If you’re in a Universal Credit area you can’t sign on, you need to claim on line. If you have a partner they will also have to make a connected claim. Follow the instructions, my first claim was closed after 30 days with no warning as my wife hadn’t made an appointment at the job centre even though she was in full time work and we thought I was the one making the claim.

dannyh
    Free Member

Forgive me for not really adding much, but telling a half amusing story from when my previous employer went into administration. It got bought in a pre-pack but the process and aftermath damn near put me in an early grave. I bailed not long after.

Anyhow, being totally inexperienced in this sort of thing I was lucky that I worked with a pretty pragmatic bloke in an equivalent role to mine. When our FD (who was one of the management team who lost control of the company and put us in that situation) took us to one side after the announcement, he asked us what we thought about the situation and what our next moves would be personally. I didn’t really know what to say, but my oppo seized the moment magnificently.

Him: “Tomorrow (Friday) is pay day, isn’t it?”

FD: “Err, yes….”

Him: “Well, I’ll be checking my bank account over the weekend and if my salary isn’t in there, then you won’t be seeing me again until it is”.

He stopped just short of pinching the FD’s cheek and wobbling it.

I feel for you OP. Get your CV up to date ASAP and get out there.

northernmatt

Slight update.

So work didn’t actually go into pre-pack administration last Wednesday we just got sent home “to protect us and the assets of the business”. Now a week in with little to no confirmation of anything other than it is highly likely we will not get paid this month and that they have now appointed an administrator today (17th). If their 2 week pre-pack period starts today that now means further limbo until 31st March.

Apparently there is also now a potential buyer for the business which adds even more uncertainty. I have an inside line on who the buyer is and they aren’t interested in anything other than the stock and assets. The staff are just being taken along for a ride and the longer this drags on the harder it is for anyone to move on as it’s impossible to say yes to another job as we can’t give them a definite start date.

I have someone contacting me with a potential job offer tomorrow and I have got no idea what to say to them regarding when I can start because I don’t bloody know.

On the plus side I baked a loaf of bread this morning so I don’t have to go hunting for it in Sainsburys.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you get a job offer, just remember a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

duncancallum

Job offer take it.

Then look at what’s possible to claw back.

Sounds harsh but just look after you.

boomerlives
    Free Member

You can start tomorrow.

You owe them nothing. If they were paying you it would be different, but they aren’t.

Also, tell them nothing; it’s no longer their concern

flicker
    Free Member

Take the job, you can start immediately.

While admirable your loyalty to your old employer is misplaced, look after you and yours in this instance.

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

As others have said, in this situation you need to make sure you’re okay especially in the current climate and whats going on.

If you get the job offer then take it. Unfortunately in this day and age being loyal doesn’t tend to get you far.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Work gone bust’ is closed to new replies.