Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Work getting all like authoritarian and all that WWSTWD???
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47858013

For most workers, telling them they can’t roll into the office stinking of alcohol or high on drugs is unnecessary – because it’s taken as read.

This week, though, the giant Lloyd’s of London insurance market, in the City of London, is setting out a new code of conduct: it felt it needed to remind people.

The 331-year-old institution, where brokers and insurers meet to do business, is regarded as the last bastion of the financial district’s boozy culture.

But after recent revelations of sexual harassment and general boorish behaviour, Lloyd’s has decided to act.

But then we get the rational thought….

Tom wouldn’t give his surname, and wouldn’t even confirm that he worked at Lloyd’s. But he certainly knew about the recent reports of sexual misconduct and the new promise to act.

“You’re telling people they can’t have a couple of pints at lunchtime,” he says. “Lloyd’s is a people business. We don’t operate dangerous machinery.”

I mean, I don’t see the problem dealing with complex financial instruments while a bit pissed and having a little snort of something, kind of keeps you sharp really.

fossy

That’s why the country is in the state it is in.

I’m a qualified accountant, not in the city – this lot are knob ends.

survivor

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I mean, I don’t see the problem dealing with complex financial instruments while a bit pissed and having a little snort of something, kind of keeps you sharp really.

Pffft, since when did heavy machinery and gallons of **** acid stop anyone from drinking, I know of a pharmaceutical company where people still like to have the odd drink at a lunchtime….

csb

We let people drive cars with a pint or two in them. What’s the issue with them working under the same influence?

For clarity I’m all for zero alcohol and driving but until then its a hard argument to win.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We let people drive cars with a pint or two in them. What’s the issue with them working under the same influence?

Well Scotland doesn’t, rest of UK doesn’t let you have 2 pints unless it’s really really weak.

and FWIW this lot certainly don’t sound like they are on the 1-2 pint scale of things, but just more like enough to come back from lunch and ask Janet from accounts of she wants a quick one in the stationary cupboard.

tjagain

Any drink in your system at my work is usually automatic dismissal – and quite rightly.

frankconway

I thought all cupboards were stationary.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends how hard you are going….

cchris2lou

A friend works for a big insurance business in the city and he averages 49 pints of Guinness a week, plus a few GT.

matt_outandabout

Any drink in your system at my work is usually automatic dismissal – and quite rightly.

Same here. We don’t test, but lunchtime drinks are just not acceptable.
    We also have a no alcohol on company expenses, not even a thank you gift to client.

chestrockwell

BIL works for a bank in the city and it’s perfectly normal for them to get hammered all week then rest at the weekend.

woffle
    Free Member

BIL works for a bank in the city and it’s perfectly normal for them to get hammered all week then rest at the weekend.

During the working day? In the bad old days perhaps but coming back into the office after you’d had a skinful would certainly be a very serious issue at all banks by policy, and most banks in practical terms also. After work / post 5pm perhaps – especially when the sun is shining – but that’s not the same as heading back to your desk…

Lloyds however, that’s a different story…it’ll be interesting to see how far ^^ goes in sorting things out.

kayak23

I’ve got a cupboard at work that I fitted wheels to, so, no. Not all cupboards.

Drac

If you feel the need to have 2 pints at lunchtime during a work day is Ok despite your employer asking you not to be under the influence of alcohol then go and find another job.

jimdubleyou

Those Lloyd fellas are *always* on the lash.

We have a “no impairment” policy. If you can go out, have a drink and come back still able to function at the same level as previously then you’re fine.*

* I work in IT, nobody cares about us being drunk.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I spent a fair few years working for a big insurance company in town & a lot of time was also spent in Lloyds. The amount of alcohol (and other substances consumed) was staggering.

I considered myself a decent drinker back then, but I was a mere amateur. To be fair though, boozy lunches with clients worrying about people coming back to work? Not an issue. It was rare we ever made it back.

It will be quite the cultural change.

toby1

We have a beer fridge and spirts cupboard in the office, we work in IT though and make an effort not to harass the women we work with. Also, for the most part, people don’t drive to work!

MrGrim

I’ve worked as an IT contractor in several banks in across the UK. Definitely normal culture to head out for a few pints at lunchtime, especially on a Friday, then back in the Pub at 4pm. It was mostly the old guard though and not younger (<40’s) generation. In my experience, it’s definitely magnified in London.

scaled
    Free Member

They’re going to ruin the atmosphere of the place!

I worked for loads of Lloyds brokers and it was a cracking environment (if you were a complete arsehole) going out for lunch and not coming back to the office wasn’t uncommon for the top brass.

I probably only went home two or three nights a week, spare clothes at work and an a to z in your back pocket for finding your way in in the morning. Good times 😁😁

trumpton
    Free Member

On the flipside the city’s gyms are very busy after work and you get loads of cyclists too. Plus no one drives in so that helps. It ruin the atmosphere though. What you don’t realize is apart from Fridays people in some of these places people are still there at 7 or 8 at night. Although the younger ones do lots of the working long hours.

doris5000

They’re going to ruin the atmosphere of the place!

first the Hacienda, then Cream, and now this. It’s a crying shame 🙁

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Work getting all like authoritarian and all that WWSTWD???’ is closed to new replies.