Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Work commute ride too far?
  • nathan254
    Free Member

Iused to ride mtb n rd bike all the time when i was a kid would love to get fit again but never get the time work and small family ! I work as a tree surgeon and can not ride to work most days but i have a grass cutting contract which is 32 miles away i havent rode my bike much in the last 10 yrs do you chaps think it is too far to commute oh and i only have a mtb.

njee20
    Free Member

It’ll get you fit, but if you struggle for time do you want to spend 4 hours a day commuting?

Perhaps drive part way and ride the rest?

ackie
    Free Member

I currently ride is 12 miles each way, approx 120miles a week.
    But my new commute will be 30miles each way, which I intend to do only twice a week so I am not useless at work.
    I figure it would be better for me anyway as I’ll be getting a nice longer ride’s in and be able to rest the legs between rides.
    As I tend to smash it everyday on my current shorter route 😉

dobo
    Free Member

at least get some slicks on it if youre going to do it, that should speed things up a bit

nathan254
    Free Member

Yep plan to get some slicks then if all goes well i will buy a road bike ! Here what you are saying about the 4hrs ride i dont mind getting up real early but i think you are right about drive some of way at least until the fitness gets better and it will only two days the week and only through the summer whilst the grass grows.
    😀

TiRed

Plan on doing it once or twice a week. Expect to do it once or twice a month. It’s a fine start to a day, but a long drag after a day of physical work.

And get some slicks.

What rack for a lawnmower? 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Friend of mine does 35 miles each way once or twice a week, he has the option to get the train half way if he’s knackered.

I do 20 miles each way most days, 255 miles ridden last week. I bloody love it and it gets you very very fit.

aP
    Free Member

My commute is 20 miles each way, but riding 5 days a week and doing 50 hours in the office meant that I was destroyed at the weekend. Currently work commitments mean that I’m doing 1-2 days a week, but am good for a big ride at the weekend.

nathan254
    Free Member

Ha yep it would have to be a bloody big rack for the mower but aleat if i got tied could drive the mower and carry the bike !!

jkomo

Mine is 21 miles each way. The most I’ve done is twice a week.
    I would start by driving some of the way. Also, get some semi slicks and pump them up, right up.

rootes1

electric assist? not as daft as it sounds.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Work commute ride too far?’ is closed to new replies.