Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • work bench height
  • mangoridebike

Hi

I’ve got some kitchen worktop left over from when our kitchen was done up. now that I’ve cleared some space in the garage I’m planning on making myself a workbench. I’m just wondering what height it should be. Those of you with garages already kitted out what height did you go for?

Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

I went for the 900mm that is standard for Big Dug workbenches. Works OK for me. Could equally have gone to 950mm and been happy. Wouldn’t have wanted lower though.

http://www.bigdug.co.uk/workshop-benches-c348/value-workbenches-c674/value-workbenches-pp1311

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Liking the corkscrew hanging under the window!

Stoner
    Free Member

*checks to see any other eagle-eyed STWers cant find my grot stash or under ground nuclear bunker access panel*

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, at least you didn’t leave a box of tissues & a box of latex gloves out!

skywalker
    Free Member

I would go for 900mm, same height as a kitchen work top.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, my Kestrel benches are 900mm.

rusty90
    Free Member

A great big vice and not 1 but 4 hammers. A precision engineer at work!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

900mm if you’re average height, less if you’re below average height, and more if you’re above average height. Makes sense – there is no reason to find a comprise height. Of course it also depends on what you’re doing, eg, for sawing (ripping), both by hand and with circular saw, an average height would about 500mm (600mm for me personally). Assembling stuff and cross cutting about 900mm.

br
    Free Member

It really depends how tall you are, for me 900mm is slightly too low.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I went for 1050mm because bending over workbenches really puts my back out. Kitchen worktop height kills me.

nickjb
    Free Member

I find 900 a bit high. It’s fine if you are working on small stuff on the bench surface but a bit awkward as soon as you put something bigger on it, especaiily when need a bit of downward pressure on a hand tool. Mine is 830mm

ourmaninthenorth

900mm for me @ 170cm tall is fine:

EDIT: that’s a plain corded drill. I installed each screw by hand – practically had stigmata by the end!

finishthat
    Free Member

The old way to decide was to have the bench support your vice such that the vice jaws were at elbow level. _V

TooTall
    Free Member

I have two of these when they were in a sale:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/builders-trestle/invt/167430/

Just add worktop. Pick a height. Sorted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘work bench height’ is closed to new replies.