Viewing 11 posts - 281 through 291 (of 291 total)
  • Words you’ve always pronounced incorrectly
  • thols2

Surely this is just variation in accents? When I was a teenager there was a spike in pronouncing it “noy” thanks to a sudden influx of Australian soaps.

People absorb accents from their surroundings, there’s probably some sort of ‘fitting in’ evolutionary pack instinct or something at play.

Yes. But you know about as much about linguistics as most linguists know about website security. Convergence and divergence seem to be the technical words you are looking for. Also, a review of sociolinguistic journals will turn up thousands of papers about negotiation of identity, etc.

crazy-legs

Surely this is just variation in accents?

Talking of accents that **** Essex English where the middle T in a word is omitted can get in the sea. Yes, Cinch advert, I’m looking at you.
    Mo’or
    Bri’ain

🤬

Cougar

Yes. But you know about as much about linguistics as most linguists know about website security. Convergence and divergence seem to be the technical words you are looking for

Sure, I don’t doubt you’re correct on both counts. Was I wrong though? (Genuine question)

Yes, Cinch advert, I’m looking at you.

That’s Rylan, innit?

slowoldman

Essex English where the middle T in a word is omitted

I thought that was the Islington glottal stop.

Cougar

Mornington Crescent.

slowoldman

Very good Cougar.

thols2

Was I wrong though? (Genuine question)

You are right that people adapt their languages, but it’s always a complex thing. We constantly adjust how we speak according to context, especially the identities of our interlocutors. We may adjust our speech to be more similar, signaling group solidarity, or we may adjust to highlight differences, to exclude an outsider. One of the functions of language is to convey information, but that’s actually secondary to negotiation of identity. Before anyone is interested in the information we communicate, we have to assert ourselves as someone who is important enough to listen to. Bill Clinton was famous for being able to talk to anyone, he could adapt himself to any group and context. Donald Trump and Barak Obama were extremely skilled at talking to their supporters but the way they talked alienated a lot of other people. In Trump’s case, that was deliberate, he signaled solidarity with his supporters by highlighting how different he was from his opponents.

natrix
    Free Member

Have we had mangetout (pronouned as ‘man get out’)??

BigJohn

It’s MIS-chee-vus. Just letting everyone on the BBC know. Not mis-CHEE-vious.

ctk
    Free Member

Tabble lut instead of tablet.

mrdestructo

My community was built by a large construction company called Vanke. Their name is on the precinct at the end, and people frequently use the company name for the housing.

I’ve been calling it “Van-kuh”

The locals are generally unable to say “V” and use “W” instead.

I can’t tell if I’m pronouncing it correctly or not anymore. But don’t feel able to use the local pronunciation without bursting out laughing.

Viewing 11 posts - 281 through 291 (of 291 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.