Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Woot! New Model Army are touring NZ!
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

Into a Circle featured Barry from SDC (sorry – wasn’t trying to be mysterious!)

Was a 1in12 member in early 90s myself. Great place, great jukebox.

Yes – cheers to Tommy 🙂

johnhoo
    Free Member

and to Rob

tazzymtb

NEW MODEL ARMY TOMMYSTOCK

Saturday 20th June – Cheese & Grain, Frome, UK

Ed Alleyne Johnson will be joining us for the special Tommystock concert on June 20th. The evening will also include contributions from Joolz, Rev Hammer and Notoriouz (the band featuring Tommy’s middle son, Thomas, on guitar) as well as a special one off performance by The Almighty, the band managed by Tommy in the early 1990s.

There will be special Tommystock T-shirts (with a classic Joolz design) available on the night. It will also be possible to pre-order shirts from our Online Shop and to purchase them in the days after the event. We are also hoping to do a webcast of the show for the many people across the World who want to feel part of the event.

Everyone working at the event will be giving their time free and all profits will be going to Tommy’s widow and children.

GET YOUR BUMS THERE

TAZ

Chase
    Free Member

Great thread guys – I missed it first time around.
    Only saw the NMA once at St Georges Hall, Bradford, probably about 1987. I remember the ‘Family’ outside with their kitbags. They used to sell season tickets to get you into every gig on the tour, right? Still listen to their stuff and have a good selection on my player.
    The Live 161203 DVD is worth buying. There is a good interview with Justin on it too as well as the gig.
    I really regret not trying to get tickets for their Leeds Uni gig last year.

St Georges Hall was a bit of hot bed of good gigs during the late 80’s.
    I can recall seeing New Model Army, The Cult, The Mission, Zodiac Mindwarp, Jesus And Mary Chain, Anthrax, Metallica and Megadeth to name a few.

Funny, what you forget about – Wild Willy Becket 😆 😆 Nutter.

oomidamon

I was at the NMA gig at St. Georges in ’87, too! I first saw them at the Marquee when No Rest came out – I think they shot the video at the gig. I went to Bradford Uni in ’88 and even got to know Nelson – what a great bloke. Frome gig sounds awsome and not far from home, unfortunately I’m in Silverstone that weekend. Arse.

allyp
    Free Member

Hi BA Nana, yes i was one of the Boltmakers crew, I went to college with Anne Marie, she even wanted to go out with me when we were about 17 and i said no…what a **** ! My brother is still in touch with Anne-Marie, she lives near Harden with her 2 boys i think.

Im still in touch with Trotwood, he’s working for Weller now, and I still see Stan from time to time, usually if i go to the Gassienda. Martin Henderson is still plugging away with the Skeletal Family but they are dreadful now.
    I saw Skellies 49 times first time around and 3 since they re-formed about 3 years ago (wont be going again). Seen all the usual suspects named here, NMA, SDC, SGC, Play Dead, Flesh for Lulu, Xmal, Birthday Party, Bauhaus, Killing Joke, Danse Society, 1919, Sisters, March Violets, Cramps, Meteors, Guana Batz, King Kurt…you get the idea.

First tiime i came across Justin Sullivan, he got me and my mate into The Funhouse to see NotSensibles when we were 16. First saw NMA at Funhouse, but best time i saw them was upstairs at The Vic…magic. Never was a regular at 1 in 12 though, but did go to a few gigs there.

johnhoo
    Free Member

my fave gig EVER: Sisters Of Mercy, NMA & Skeletal Family, Huddersfield Town Hall c1983-4

NMA new album now has a name “Today Is A Good Day”, release date 15/09/09

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bloomin’ eck, i still have my Red Sky Coven tour shirt from ’89 – still wear it as well!

Gods was that 20yrs ago?

Remember going to see them at the Lorelei Festival & getting involved in a ruck with some German punks, then seeing them at the Philliphalle in Dusseldorf the yr after & getting chased through the railway station by neo-nazi skins, ah good days!

slimtubing
    Free Member

still got my red sky coven singlet!(did the whole inaugaral tour in 89 with 4 mates, ended up driving with the german sound guy for the latter half) only thing i salvaged from my dads attic before some bastard mice at all my band tees.
    Will be wearing said singlet when they finally do come downunder, also managing to “follow” them to the melbourne gig as a birthday presetn from my loving wife (who can’t understand why im nearly weeing with excitement)

allyp
    Free Member

i was at the Huddersfield gig too, yes it was a cracker, didnt like Sisters too much until Skeletal Family supported them on the Black October tour, then after seeing them about 12 times in a month I was converted, they were an ace live band.
    I remember once at Lancaster Sugarhouse(?) we were playing pool at the back of the hall whilst off our t**s on mushrooms when the Sisters were on stage and Eldritch gave us a bollocking from the stage cos the pool table light was winding him up !

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

AllyP

I’m a bit jellous that you saw The Birthday Party (I’ve got a lot of their 12″ singles and albums but never saw them). One of my key memories of the Boltmakers was that it was the only pub that I ever recall having SDC on the dukebox.

Stan was a regular in the White horse pub in Bingley.

allyp
    Free Member

Birthday Party were supporting Bauhaus at Leeds Tiffanys in June 1981, we had to leave after about 3 Bauhaus songs to get last train – gigs finish so sensibly early these days ! Also saw Nick Cave doing a really early solo show on same bill as Skellies and Alien Sex Fiend in Birmingham in 1984.
    I met Peter Hook in Boltmakers once !, he was on Jason Rhodes stag do ! I think Whitey, Guigsy and Bonehead (ex oasis) have all been in too. oh and Ocean Colour Scene have been in a couple of times, and The Men They Couldnt Hang. Keighleys celebrity hangout !
    That Bolts jukebox was a classic, place used to be absolutely rammed every weekend.

skolt
    Free Member

Anyone want to buy a job lot of early NMA vinyl!!!!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I still have Skeletal Familys first single called ’Trees’ , which was distributed by Pete the Punk out of a plastic carrier bag in the White Horse Inn, Bingley. I remember the purchase clearly cos he was a proper scarey punk, great big guy and with all the bondage gear and huge mohawk. February 1983, that would make me 16 years old (very naughty, me being in a pub), original line up is Karl Heinz, Stan, Anne-Marie, Steve Crane and Trotwood. Offers Please!. 😉

slimtubing
    Free Member

it appears that somewhere in the kingdom of fife, in a municipal rubbish tip is my entire record collection, it will be in a tan brown suitcase with one broken strap and was biffed out unknowingly by my father.
    i admit to almost being in tears at xmas when i popped up to the attic to sort some old belongings outonly to find it not there. dad has no recollection of the crime but it has clearly gone.
    contents include such gems as SDC The cult, death cult (pretty much every thing up to and including electric.UK decay the chaameleons NMA, Balaam & the angel, Salvation,PWEI, wonderstuff,Specials,madness,spandau ballet ,duranduran,SSS,Cramps,meteors,husker du etc.basically a varied bunch from about 83-90.
    tohroughly gutted.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Shame, parents have a habit of doing things like that.

I recall lending my Death Cult God Zoo 12″EP to a friend, I got it back in three pieces, he’d put the bits back in the sleave and handed it back as tho nothing was wrong. 😐 I mean, if he didn’t like it, fair enough, but no need for that. 😉

allyp
    Free Member

just watched the “Trees” vid, i think my old mate Turds is down the front up on shoulders, we always used to say that Stan played much better pissed !
    Still think Promised Land is a fantastic song, best thing they did by a mile.
    That vinyl collection sounds very much like mine (except for the Duran / Spandau / SSS bit!) which has been untouched in my loft for 12 years now, criminal really.

DavidB
    Free Member

Best every NMA gig for me was Brockwell Park at the GLC benefit when they totally upstaged the Damned (IMHO). One of our local lads, Moose, joined them as bass player for a while. I blagged into a few sold out gigs on that fact for a few years by saying I used to be in “Into the Greylight” his old mates band.

Blyth Power anyone?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Well the Tommystock benifit gig was amazing on Saturday!

Rev Hammer, The Almighty, Ed Allenyne Johnson solo and then into Vagabonds with NMA. 51st State even featured Ricky Warwick on guitar (sort of reprising his NMA second guitarist role from the early 80s!)

Classic.

sc-xc

Blyth Power anyone?

Blyth Power are ace.

DavidB
    Free Member

I introduced Joseph Porter to trouser dropped transpotting

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Woot! New Model Army are touring NZ!’ is closed to new replies.