Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Woolacombe beach and dogs
  • sammaratti
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have a springer pup who id love to take with us when we hit the waves on the weekend. Our usual sport is the Woolacombe area but I’m thinking they do not allow dogs onto the beach, is this correct?

So what I’m asking is, does anyone know where in that kinda area I could take the pup that has decent surf.

Thanks

P.S Just thought I’d add that the pup will not be surfing, although that would be totally awesome

Houns

Dogs can go on. From the rock on wards. Enjoy!

dantsw13

Yep – the croyde beach is no dogs in the summer, but the whole beach at Putsborough sands is dog friendly all year, bar the southern 200 yds.

This website is good for dog friendly beaches

http://www.thegooddogguide.com/devon/woolacombe/dog-friendly-beaches/putsborough-sands/14181

jkomo

Go left to end of car park, dogs allowed over the stream all the way to Putsborough, up to the rocks before the cafe.
    Massive area, and sand dunes for kids.
    Take coffee though, the little shed serves instant, and bad instant at that.

luketracey

Theirs allways dogs on Saunton, but please pick up poop! Nothing more anoying than when your child scoops up a turd when building a sandcastle!

dantsw13

There’s no excuse for not picking it up anywhere (Dog owner myself). Sadly, as well as motorists, and cyclists, some of the selfish ignorant twunts in the world also own dogs!!

dantsw13

Jkomo – is that the cafe at Georgeham end you are talking about?

bros
    Free Member

Remember it’s Oceanfest at Croyde this weekend. Campsites full of drunken youths etc (which may or may not be your thing).

pk13

Park on the council car park right at the sand dune end 4 pounds all day walk over the dunes and enjoy. also the little beach with the cafe on that sells curry is good. And dogs frendly.

Say hi to the waffle man for me.

pk13

jkomo

No, the cafe overlooks Putsborough beach which is about as far left as you can go along Woolacombe beach.
    Full dog info on web I’m sure.
    Where are you staying?

andyl
    Free Member

Bloody annoys me when you see ignorant a-holes walking their dogs across the beach with the “no dogs from May to September” signs at Weston Super Mare.

I had been looking at popping down to Devon/Cornwall so was checking for beaches and spotted a few that were no dogs which obviously affects choice of location. W-S-M beach has a good layout with areas put aside for various wind/water sports giving priority for those with large items like wind surfers next to the car park and a nice centra area and separate marina/kids beach with no dogs allowed (the latter al year round). but you get so many people ignoring it and thinking it’s acceptable to leave dog poo on the dog and no dog bits. Not nice going for a paddle in the shallow water with the risk of getting a dog turd squished between your toes.

sammaratti
    Free Member

andyl – your brave paddling at wsm anyway

Not staying there just heading down for the day, will be the first beach trip with the pooch.

Is there designated surf areas where your allowed to take dogs as my better half is terrified of rip tides. I’d rather us all be on the section of beach if possible.

Thanks for all the great replys so far.

andyl
    Free Member

andyl – your brave paddling at wsm anyway

I go swimming there a lot morning in the summer. It’s the same water as elsewhere up the Bristol channel, just a bit brown from all the silt.

I did keep the dog out of the water the other day as there was a lot of oily/fuel residue coming up with the incoming tide, it wasn’t Exxon Valdez but unusual. Flagged down the ranger and he was surprised too.

dantsw13

I’m staying in the cottages at Putsborough Manor in August – will have my Spaniel (and poo bags!!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Woolacombe beach and dogs’ is closed to new replies.