Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Woodworkers/carpenters…what to treat stairs with?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Recently bought a house with a set of untreated stairs (I think they are oak, but not sure). They were left untreated for a long time and therefore suffered at the feet of tradesmen etc which left a coat if very light scratches/dust on top. I cleaned off with meths and gave them a light sand and now we ate at the stage of treating them. We have tried (on someone’s advice) to use beeswax on a few steps but it isn’t coming out well in that it’s leaving a white residue after application & buffing and isn’t bringing out the grain very well. The photo below should hopefully show what i mean. Now we are thinking of treating it in some other way (2 part varnish or similar), anyone got any tips? I did treat an oak sleeper table I built with Danish oil but not sure about using it in this situation. Any help much appreciated!?

Oh yeah and anyone know how to clean beeswax from lint free cloths?

jonnyrockymountain

Hi mate
    That’s not oak 1st thing?
    I like osmo oil on any interior joinery, have never looked though if they do one for stairs ie an anti-slip?

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers jonny – what type of wood is it you recon? w’ll be putting a runner down the middle but still want the sides to look good…

grantway
    Free Member

Looks like American Cherry

I would recommend the Bona Kemi Traffic

Albanach
    Free Member

Is that the same of deal as the sadolin pv67 stuff? It onle comes in 5 litre bottles and I amen’t going to need that but I did use another type of 2 part primer for an oak worktop lately…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Woodworkers/carpenters…what to treat stairs with?’ is closed to new replies.