Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Woodmen> splitting this beast…
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im thinking score across it with the chainsaw and split in sections/layers with wedges, then score and split off more, kinda like chiselling out a mortice..

brakes
    Free Member

I didn’t know it was tree hunting season.

yunki
    Free Member

Never mind tree hunting season, that’s a dinosaur leg surely..?

spooky_b329

Drill hole, insert dynamite?

mattsccm
    Free Member

How big is the saw bar?

glupton1976
    Free Member

You’re gonna need a bigger gun.

flap_jack
    Free Member

you gonna burn it or live in it ?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Open season on trees – theyve all bred.

Guide bars only 20″, i was thinking cut a slot across the top 20″ deep and split that section off, then move along and repeat?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I always wanted to try splitting a trunk with wedges, not one that big though.

teasel
    Free Member

I cut a slightly smaller log in a similar fashion to the way you’ve described in your post. It produced some lovely square lumps which, of course, fitted my stove precisely. Also produced some lovely tinder when I rip-cut, too – picture wafer-thin, curly strips of wood.

You could always go retro and use a two-man cross cut saw…

Edit : Some nice two-man saws HERE

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

Woodman-Just ring it up and split it like any other log! 😉

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Might give it a whirl this week – shall report back

JoeG
    Free Member

Your chainsaw may not cut well as the chain is designed for crosscut across the grain, and you will be ripping with the grain. They do make special chains for ripping; that’s usually what those chainsaw type lumber mills use.

andytherocketeer

V8 chainsaw?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u17ll043Ld8[/video]

CountZero

There were some blokes demonstrating cutting horizontal planks from a trunk like that at Treefest, Westonbirt, a couple of weeks ago, fascinating to watch, with this chainsaw arrangement on a frame. You’re going to have fun with that!

stany
    Free Member
    somafunk

That looks like it been lying for a while, it’ll be either so dried out that it will cut quite easy and with careful application of a few wedges and a large maul may split along the grain or it will be like concrete and destroy your chainsaw teeth in minutes.

Should get a good winters worth of fuel out of it though – crack on….. 😀

neilc1881
    Free Member

Man up, ring it up and get busy with the maul 😉

ski
    Free Member

If it was me I would cut it partly into a thin slice, say 3-6 inches as much as your bar can do, then go at it like rabbits and batter it into tiny chunks with your axe, then rest and repeat

On the other hand you could always use it as a starting core for Nov. 5th 😉

ski
    Free Member

Btw we were giving the green light last year on a camping trip to burn a old oak trunk which was a good 5 foot across and had been in a field for 20 years

It burnt for three days, bliss, fond camping memories…..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Have you actually thought about this & looked around for more ‘managable’ bits of wood?

Na, thought not.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Manageable. Course i have. Last year cleared out manageable..

mattsccm
    Free Member

20″ bar means you can do 20″ this side and from the other and from the top. What’s the diameter? Saw what you can to the length of the blocks you want. Wedges in and finish.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m guessing it’s 4′ high. But obv I can cut across the bottom. Top and 2 sides.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Woodmen> splitting this beast…’ is closed to new replies.