Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wooden chopping block recommendations!
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Want something nice and heavy

Sui
    Free Member

i’ve got a massive bit of oak worktop here, has already made a very nice chopping board.

br
    Free Member

While they work well and look pretty, can’t beat using plastic that you can just pop into the dishwasher.

BenjiM

We got one of these as a wedding present. Really Good board if you look after it. Oil etc.

http://www.durhamboards.co.uk/

Drac

We got a right expensive one about 7 years ago, we oiled it and looked after it well. After 18 months it split and broke.

So I bought a cheap get me but wooden one, Sainsburys I think, it never gets oiled and is abused as it was only about £7 still going strong after more than 5 years. So don’t be fooled in thinking in these cases that expensive is quality.

jota180
    Free Member

We got a right expensive one about [strike]7[/strike] 25 years ago, we [strike]oiled[/strike] did **** all with it and [strike]looked after[/strike] abused it well. After [strike]18 months it split and broke[/strike] 25 years it’s still good.

🙂

GrahamS

IKEA do some nice cheap ones that are solid and heavy.

We just use one of those. Still going strong but if it gets too dinged or splits I’ll demote it to shed use or stick it in the fire and buy another one.

Can’t find the one we have on their website, but this kind of thing:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90134948/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have one of those square chunky TG ones made with blocks of end grain – I think the wood is only rubberwood or something, but it’s been awesome.

EDIT: one of these badgers:

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got a tg heavy duty job. 10+years and going strong. Customer service is great from them, had a 5 year old pepper mill that wore out replaced foc.

mogrim

While they work well and look pretty, can’t beat using plastic that you can just pop into the dishwasher.

I stick the wooden ones in the dishwasher, too.

GrahamS

can’t beat using plastic that you can just pop into the dishwasher

I’ve stopped putting any plastic in the dishwasher after we had to throw out a pile of plastic bowls which all smelled and tasted like dishwasher detergent even after numerous washes in hot clean water. Yuk.

Drac

That looks right like our cheapy job DD.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That looks right like our cheapy job DD.

Y’know, I’m mixed up! I bought friends an expensive TG one for a housewarming present…big round, with little stumpy legs on it. It’s still going strong. I may well have bought mine in Sainsburys too. Just checked and can’t find the TG logo on it anywhere.

For the OP, I reckon it’s always best to go for an end-grain chopping board. Timber soaks in way less fluid on the end-grain and can take much more abuse from chopping/bread knives.

gavlp
    Free Member

We’ve got one of these beech chopping blocks from Lakeland.

Beech Chopping Block

Nice, sturdy, easy to clean and relatively cheap!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wooden chopping block recommendations!’ is closed to new replies.