Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Woodcutterists with a book sized hole in your Christmas stocking?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

TJ sent me this this morning.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/nov/16/armchair-woodchoppers-guide-surprise-bestseller-norwegian-wood

I thought I could wait until Chrismas, then I realized I couldn’t. 😀

Should be here tomorrow.

Stoner
    Free Member

peak grauniad 😉

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up. Order placed and already on its way. Looking forward to reading this sat in my chair next to the fire. 🙂

yetidave
    Free Member

Sent link to mrs yeti as ideas. Gonna be disappointed if this is not under the tree come Christmas.

ourmaninthenorth

peak grauniad

Is that Stoner for “I’d like that on my Christmas list but couldn’t possibly admit it was advertised in the Manchester Guardian”..? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

“both a useful how-to guide, and a tale from a cold country … a non-fiction book carrying with it the dream and the ambience of being self-sufficient … in your own cabin”. It appears, he says, to be appealing to “the armchair woodchopper”

bloody Toby-come-lately hipsters. pffft.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I received a copy yesterday, not the one I’d ordered from Amazon (which still hasn’t arrived), but from a friend who it turns out works for the publisher.

It seems they have wood stacking competitions in Scandanavia which make my efforts seem shoddy.

We have a stove similar to the one in the picture, it transfers heat through the flue which zig zags it’s way to the top.

There’s an amazing picture from Helsinki during the war of the worlds biggest communal woodpile.

Comedy highlights are the tips and cautions for would be girls smitten by woodpilers.

Not STWer should be without a copy this Christmas.

geoffj

* adds to Christmas list

DrJ

No books about DE shaving, then ?

CountZero

No woodpile or woodburner, but this is on my must buy list. Saw a review somewhere, can’t for the life of me remember where, but it looks like such an interesting book.
    Who knows, it may even come in useful one day!

MarinNo8
    Free Member

For those who might be interested Lars Mytting is on Radio 4 now –

Saturday Live – Caroline Quentin – @bbcradio4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06q72q3

Already halfway through my book

cvilla

Mcmoonter,
    Hi interested to hear about your stove, any pics appreciated and is it good at sending out radiant heat in comparison to the more normal type stoves? Also interested in ceramic stoves to see if anyone has any experience.

Love the comment “no wood pile, no husband”!
    Thanks
    C

bothybiker
    Free Member

Thanks for starting this thread! Fathers Christmas present sorted 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for the insight into the book there ^^

Searching for it lead me to this..

*sniggers

bearnecessities

He’s on R4 at the moment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Woodcutterists with a book sized hole in your Christmas stocking?’ is closed to new replies.