Woodchippers, Bell laps etc…

Home Forum Bike Forum Woodchippers, Bell laps etc…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Woodchippers, Bell laps etc…
  • Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Anyone use them?

Any real time reviews?

Thinking of getting something along theses lines for my Vaya, but am interested to hear views on them..

Houns

Tick

I need something with a shallow drop

sofaking

I use woodchippers on my gryphon and love them. like on one midges but with a longer drop. I found the drop on midges too short.
    [/url] day 14 of 31 by Kriegaffe 9, on Flickr[/img]

trail_rat

I found the flair too odd and low On woodchippers Needed a taller stem then the foods were too high….

Just never felt right even when dimensions same as my cross and road bikes

Fitted carnegies in end

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

Bell Laps on my pompino, I like them in a not much different to my other bars kind of way.

http://instagr.am/p/NYS96gsd__/

Premier Icon AD
    Subscriber

I use Bell Laps on my road bike – they’re great – I find the slightly flared drops really comfortable climbing and they add confidence when descending. Bought mine off Charlie a few years ago.

drofluf

Got Midge’s on my Peregrine. The only drop bar that I’ve got on with – although I’ve only tried various different flavours of ‘normal’ drops so not comparing with Woodchippers etc.. They’re obviously wider than regular drops – the first time that I saw a pair ‘in the wild’ the owner admitted they weren’t ideal for London commuting – but out of town the width is right for me. I find I’m spending most of the time on the drops whereas before I’d get uncomfortable after about 10-15 minutes or so. For descents they’re great, really confidence inspiring

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Fitted Carnegies in the end

Guessing Carnegies would be pretty crap with STIs tho ❓

mattsccm

Midges in the Cotic.Work well.Had Bell laps but to be honest they are just normal drops with a wiggle or two.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

I’ve got Midge bars on my Solitude, set up a la Matt Chester so that I ride in the drops all the time. An image search for “miketually solitude” finds several photos. (Warning: ugly bike)

trail_rat

Probably my woodchippers had dia comp v pull levers on and bike is ss

Went back to hope x2s on the ragleys

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

I’ve had Bell Laps , Midges and Woodchippers.

I much preffer the woodchippers for off road.

The extra width when in the drops really helps when it gets rough.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

trail_rat – Member

then the foods were too high…

What foods was it? Steaks?

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

singlespeedstu – Member
    I’ve had Bell Laps , Midges and Woodchippers.

I much preffer the woodchippers for off road.

The extra width when in the drops really helps when it gets rough.

Cheers Stu, so recommendations for on the road then?

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

so recommendations for on the road then?

I have no idea about that shit. 😆

i just sold some Bell Laps as i never got on with them, Cow Bells though are another story, much much better.

i’m just putting some Midges on a new project but i can already tell that the shape will be cock on but just not long enough on the drop part so i guess i may get some Wood Chippers and see what all the fuss is about.

Bell laps are no longer, I have a few left, but that’s the end of them

Going forward salsa have the cowbell, almost the same bar but without the anatomical bump.

Woodchipper a are great offroad, and touring. The variety of positions adds comfort
    on road bell laps (now cowbells) are ace.

For the OPs vaya… Are you mainly on the road? Try cowbells. It’s subtle difference to normal road bars, but they make the bike more controllable.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

For the OPs vaya… Are you mainly on the road? Try cowbells. It’s subtle difference to normal road bars, but they make the bike more controllable.

Aye Charlie, I am..

Will be ordering some Cowbells from you later.

MrTall

I put Bell Laps on my Fargo and liked them so much that I put some on my road bike as well.

Gutted to hear that they have stopped making them but if the Cowbell is very similar then it’s not all bad..

I find the extra flare on them gives far better control on my 46cm versions.

IHN

I had Bell Laps on mx CX/road and I liked the width and the flared drops but I could never get a comfortable setup to ride on the hoods.

I now have som boggo Kona drops and they’re pretty good.

The Bell Laps are currently gathering dust in the garage if anyone wants to make me an offer…

Cowbells and bell laps… Yes similar, and possibly an improvement.

The bell laps anatomical bump gives me super secure descending position, but limits the hand positions available on the drop. The cow bell has no bump, giving you the option to move your hands more.

Both have groovy flairs

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

Running 42cm Woodchippers on my Fargo.

I really like them as the outward flare feels a lot more secure on descents when on the drops. My Ritchey crosser has traditional drop bars and they feel really narrow on comparison. I’m not a fan of anatomic bars. I just don’t find them any more comfortable whereas the Woodchippers with their simple curve just work and do so really well. They look a bit odd but are very comfy in my experience. When I get my project cross / bolt thru disc custom machine, it will be getting flared bars. 😀

Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

If you’re mainly on the road and planning to use STIs, don’t go for Midges/Woodchippers/Luxys. They’re about as aero as a wing-suit and the position on the hoods isn’t very comfortable as they’re really designed to be ridden in the drops all the time.

I have Bell Laps on my cross bike which are much more versatile, but still feel very capable on the bashy stuff. Nitto Randonneurs are very similar if you’d prefer something more trad-looking.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

This is my current set up after one ride… And yes, the steerer will be getting cut down, just want to get it all squared away first..

But yeah, will be mainly on road & touring duties..

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Whoop!

Cowbells ordered from Charlie..

Cheers all.

Raouligan

Shudder, I’m going to have to wear a ski mask the next time we ride at this rate… 😀

Premier Icon monkeyp
    Subscriber

I use woodchippers on my Genesis Croix de Fer on road. Normal drops give me issues with numbness and to be honest, the loss in aero isn’t going to affect me in reality for my commute. The position is way more, comfy, even on the hoods as it matches the natural angle of your hand relative to the wrist/arm. Look strange, but who cares, i am comfortable on the bike 🙂

Premier Icon Nipper99
    Subscriber

Have you considered the Ragley Luxy bars – have the on my Gryphon with sti’s.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Raouligan – Member
    Shudder, I’m going to have to wear a ski mask the next time we ride at this rate…

As long as it’s not that blue one…. 😆

OCB

I’m a Midge man m’self: easily the most comfortable drop-bars I’ve tried.

All of my drop-barred bikes are [now] fitted with them, including my road bikes. I use bar-end shifters (on non-SS bikes), but I can see how they might put STI’s at a bit of an odd angle.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Woodchippers, Bell laps etc…’ is closed to new replies.