Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • woodchip arrragghhh
  • DT78
    Free Member

I have 2 large rooms to strip. it is taking forever. have a new steamer on order.

even once it’s mostly removed there is still some brown paper residue which only seems to come off with a razor. this will take longer than I have left to live

the wall feels smooth to touch. could I just paint over it and it will be okay? would a primer do it followed by emulsion?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Soak the wall see how slimy it gets.

Paint doesn’t like it.

I skipped the problem by pulling the embossed wall paper at an edge and it bringing all the plaster down with it.

Or… Just get it skimmed.

Vader
    Free Member

I got mine off with the steamer, the underlying plaster got pretty damaged. However it all looks ace after using that polycell smooth over stuff, super easy to put on and finish. Painted straight on to that, really easy to make it look good.

I tried a b and q cheap version of it, that was pants.

falkirk-mark

Last time I done it I criss crossed the paper with a Stanley Knife to help the moisture get in.

Vader
    Free Member

also this^^^ worked well

slackalice
    Free Member

Once you have all the existing paper off the walls, you have a few options:
    Wash walls with dilute sugar soap and rinse with clean water before painting or wallpapering
    Or
    Hang lining paper before painting or wall papering
    Or
    Re-skim with finish plaster and then paint or paper to desired finish.

Scoring the existing paper before steaming or soaking will assist greatly but woodchip is an arse to remove. Enjoy the process as much as you can, it’s not all about the destination! 😉

strangey13
    Free Member

I used some stuff called DIF wallpaper stripper after scoring the walls/paper. Came off easier than with just a steamer.

senorj

Proper paper stripper has a 4 inch Stanley blade. Really good for moist woodchip.
    Whenever I’ve stripped it, I turn the room into a sauna and do I it in my pants. 👍
    +1 for the scoring.

Greybeard
    Free Member

You may need to skim the wall anyway – the main reason people put woodchip on is to hide the bumps in the wall.

perchypanther
    Free Member

We have the perfect tool at work for stripping woodchip.

It’s called a 1st year apprentice painter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Life’s too short for that shit I went nuclear on the woodchip on the stairs

Insulated plasterboard and taped/skimmed/painted. Bosh.

robbie
    Free Member

buy a spiked roller
    roller every wall and ceiling. spray with water with cheap hand sprayer
    buy a decent paper scraper not the shitty spatcheler type the one with the blade. just done 2 rooms not that bad really never used a steamer..

Ambrose

As above- stip down to your pants and make a sauna of the room. Spiked roller, find a decent scraper that you find comfortable- you are going to be holding it for a while! I find that scrapers are a bit like fountain pens- they sort of become worn/ matched to you. When I moved in to this place every wall and every ceiling was covered with layers of paper, polystyrene, woodchip and gloss paint, in a multitude of configurations. All on top of lath and plaster.

The electrics tripped more than a couple of times, I think due to the high humidity in the room.

Lionheart
    Free Member

This fella is called Woodchip!

View post on imgur.com

theotherjonv

don’t buy a cheap roller scorer thing. The serrated scoring wheels come out of their fixings and you then run your wrist over it.

Don’t ask me how I know.

Also don’t ask me how I know that blood soaks into steamed woodchip really well.

DavidBelstein
    Free Member

Hello I just stripped a medium sized house with tons of woodchip. I fried a steamer on the way but here’s what worked for me:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-scraper-4/16530

With a steamer, and importantly one of these medieval weapons to make the steam penetrate:
    https://www.toolstation.com/prep-wallpaper-perforator/

All stripped quite quick after a few practice walls.

DavidBelstein
    Free Member

I just realised I did not answer the question. Lol. Good luck

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘woodchip arrragghhh’ is closed to new replies.