Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Woodburners
  • SiB
    Free Member

Know very little about woodburners but want to change our open grate fireplace to a woodburner. Its a functional fireplace at the moment, would it be difficult or costly to install a woodburner. Flue…how far do there need to go up the chimney? Does any extra work need to be done on the chimney?

Any pointers and advice appreciated, thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

assuming the burner fits in the hole then you just need a top plate in the chimney for the flue to enter – stop smoke entering the room and access to sweep.
    Woodburners produce more concentrated smoke and some will argue about a lining but I would not bother as you have been using the chimney – you can smoke test it if you wish to be certain
    if it is an older house chances are it will have an arch fireplace in there anyway that you can knock back to quite easily.

Steve_B

Just had one of these installed Esse 301

It is small at 5kW but it is mainly for chilly evenings and for extra comfort in the deths of winter and importantly it sits straight into the existing fire place – we have a victorian wooden surround and tiles that we didn’t want disturbed.

It is connected into the existing chimney – after it was swept and tested. No extra work to the chimney if it passes the test. Traditional fireplace needed throat removed and backplate fitted.

Cost about £1k for the fire and £1k to have fitted – which included a new slate hearth cut around the wooden surround.

Rather more expensive than I had intended. Finished Friday and not yet commissioned – so it had better be worth it!

There is a smaller one at 3kW but I think it only takes coal.

Drac

Not quite as simple as ooh you have a chimney I can just use that. It has to be checked and suitable. I’ll say get a good sweep though the one I used was an arse and left a load of birds nests in the chimney after telling me it was fine.

They’re well worth it though very efficient cost very little to run. We have a
    Morso badger from fires online.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes you are correct but they already us the chimney for open fires without issue i would get it checked or smoke test it myself but I would assume it will be fine. Good sweep before fitting is a good idea actually given access.

bedmaker

Cheapest and easiest way is to sweep the chimney and smoke test it. If all is OK then bung in one of these or these as long as any wood surround or mantle is not too close.

Ideally though, dig out the fireback, line and insulate the chimney and fit a nice freestanding stove – much better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Woodburners’ is closed to new replies.